Adenomyosis Symptoms? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Adenomyosis Symptoms? Adenomyosis Symptoms?

Unread 12-25-2001, 08:27 AM
Adenomyosis Symptoms?

I notice that a lot of you had adenomyosis. That is what my doctor thinks may be causing a lot of my problems. What were your symptoms?

Funny, now that my surgery is scheduled, I am feeling better and considering backing out!

I have a lot of heaviness and sharp pain in my lower abdomen and my lower back on the right side. I know I have a cervical eversion that causes spotting and the uterine prolapse causes the back pain.

I don't have as bad of a bleeding problem as most women I know who went a head with the hysterectomy, but I am in pain throughout most of the month off and on.

I am just not sure what problems are causing what symptoms and not sure I want to go through with this.

Thanks.
Diane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-25-2001, 10:16 AM
Adenomyosis Symptoms?

Diane. Here's link to thread that talks about adenomyosis.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...ht=adenomyosis

You can find more by using search icon at the top and searching by keyword "adenomyosis".
Unread 12-25-2001, 10:24 AM
Adeno

Diane
Welcome! I too suffered from adeno. I am certain that I had it for some time but thought it was normal pre menopausal stuff. It was only during the last year that my symptoms became a real problem . Heavy bleeding for prolonged periods of time, low back pain, terrible cramps to mention just a few. I am now 6 days post op TAH/BSO and I am feeling very good. The symptoms you had that caused you most problems will return more than likely. It is like having a toothache, never hurts once you have an appointment
Only you can know when the time is right. For me it was a matter of my having control over my life, not my periods controlling me. I hope this helps some. Feel free to e-mail me if you want to chat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-25-2001, 02:20 PM
Adenomyosis Symptoms?

I did not know that I had adenomyosis until after my surgery when my doctor told me. I had been complaining about heavy periods and killer cramps with my periods for years but my doctor kept telling me it was a normal part of getting older (I'm 46) and to take Advil (I should have bought stock in Advil). I was having severe pain on my lower left side that would start the day my period ended and continue for 3 or 4 days to a week after my period was over. At first my doctor thought I had diverticulitus because it wasn't happening every month. The pain started getting worse and started happening every month with my period. It was extreme pain, the kind that bends you over in half, you can't straighten up, you can't do anything. When it started happening every month doc sent me for a pelvic ultrasound and then a CT scan which revealed lots of big uterine fibroids and a cyst on my left ovary...........I had a TAH/BSO 1/5/01 and they discovered I was full of endo, adeno, adhesions, you name it.
I never had some of the bleeding problems that I've heard other women have like periods lasting for weeks or whatever. My period never lasted more than 4 days, it just took forever getting started -- I would barely spot for several days before it would really get flowing.
I'm happy to report that pain is completely gone since the surgery and I feel better than I have in years -- I used to get terrible headaches several times a week and also suffered a lot of pain with trigeminal neuralgia and all of that is practically gone, I get twinges now and then but nothing like I was used to living with. Hyst was the best thing that has happened for my physical well-being in years and years!
Peachy
Unread 12-25-2001, 02:28 PM
Adenomyosis Symptoms?

OK. That thread made me realize how similar the adeno/endo symptoms are to what I have had for a long time. I guess I will go ahead w/ surgery. I appreciate your help. I am tired of the Vicoden. That's not normal for cramps all month long, is it? I will be ok. I just still keep thinking I am being a baby and it's only cramps even though I have always considered myself pretty tough.

Thanks, Y'all!
Diane
Unread 12-25-2001, 09:18 PM
Adeno symptoms and backing out

Dear Dinotodd,
I actually can't believe I saw this post I came here to post the exact same thing!!! But I was afraid I would hear that I was being a big baby, I have had very heavy periods on & off since 11 yrs. old. I actually went to my Dr. 2 yrs ago cause it was coming every 17 days. Then it got regular again and I never went for the D&C he suggested. Then I was pretty much pushed by DH, because for the past 2 or 3 yrs I've been having excruciating pain during sex, in my pelvic area and down the back of my leggs, we've been togrther 15 yrs and things were great up until then.
Also had a cervical polyp removed, have to use a heating pad during my cycle bad cramps double you over kind, just thought it was normal for me anyway, I am also suspected of having endo too. Won't know until the 9th ofJan. All of a sudden pains not so bad and my periods have been normal past 2 months. The Dr. told me my uterus is as big as an 11 week pregnancy from results of ultra sound, no wonder I feel so fat. I am also afraid of not being able to get balanced on HRT, from all the things i've been reading and am considering if going abstanant would be better than having my hair turn grey or even worse fall out, of course I would probably end up divorced or with a very unhappy DH. He's already frustrated as it is. But I guess it will probably be the lesser of 2 evils so they say. Also this sounds very petty but my weight has always been an issue for me I've been working out for 18 yrs and I look better now at 42 than I ever have and I am so afraid of gaining weight though my Dr. says it will take care of all the bloating I am feeling. Sure is hard for us ladies isn't it?
Any punctured princesses ever go through this? We sure could use your wisdom and advise if so. Time is getting nearer, and I just know all the sysmptoms will come back just as soonas I tell my Dr. to cancell the surgery then I'll have to get re-approved by the insurance co. etc.

Come in previously punctured princesses, your our only hope!

Thank you in advance. Cadetta
PS Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas
Unread 12-26-2001, 04:47 AM
Adenomyosis Symptoms?

Cadetta -- and Diane --
of course it is your option to cancel your surgery or not, as you choose. But my advice is don't cancel it, go thru with it. You both know that even thought the symptoms may be better for a month or two, they will be back. You don't have to live with that until you go thru natural menopause. I feel better than I have in years.
Cadetta -- I have been working out many times a week for eleven years and weight is always a big issue for me too. After my hyst, I lost some weight. Then I started on the Premarin and I gained back what I had lost and more. Then my body seemed to adjust to the Premarin, I really made an effort to watch what I ate (for the first 6 months I kept telling myself I deserved that extra piece of cake or whatever, after all, I was recovering from a hyst!) and I have lost the extra pounds and am now back to where I was before my surgery. And yes I am still working out four or five days a week.
I was one of the lucky ones, Premarin works for me, I tried a couple of other hrt's but they all made me feel lousy. It's true that a lot of women have a hard time finding the right hormone balance but you just have to keep at it until you do, it's worth it when you feel good again.
Waiting for surgery and worrying about it is awful, I know. There are so many things to think about and they're all scary. Hang in there, choose what is right for you, all I can tell you is that I'm glad I had my hyst, life is good for me.
Peachy
TAH/BSO 1/5/01
cyst, fibroids, endo, adeno, adhesions
.625 premarin, vitamins, black kohosh
Unread 12-26-2001, 05:54 AM
Adenomyosis Symptoms?

Hi to all !!

I too was diagnosed with adeno after my D&C in May of 2001. Tried BCP's, 3 x a day, with no luck.

Had my TAH/Burch on 9/17/01. My uterus was a 10 week size. I must say, that I have never had the severe pain that others talk about. My only "pain" issue was mild cramping and pressure in that area.

My reason for having the TAH was for Severe periods with Horrible clotting. Periods would last for 10 days with 3 of those days being "flooders" with the large clots. My whole life revolved around those 3 or 4 flooder days.

Anyways, other then a little swelly belly at the end of the day, and some twinges and aches, especially when I overdo it, i feel much better.

Best of luck to you !

Lori
Unread 12-26-2001, 07:52 AM
Adenomyosis Symptoms?

s dinotodd!

So, it sounds like many of us have similar symptoms! I would like to point out though, that we don't know if this is what is causing your problems! Hopefully, if you do go ahead with the surgery, this will help you. I will tell you, that it has changed my life. My doctor thought my problems were due to the fibroids but it is likely that the Adeno was the cause. Adeno, was not even suspected, but pathology confirmed it. I hope that whatever you decide, you find a happier, pain free you! Good Luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register