Housework Hints | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Housework Hints Housework Hints

Unread 12-06-2011, 05:20 AM
Housework Hints

It's hard, after surgery, to get all the housework done ... even with a wonderfully supportive husband or family member, it's usually not "done" (all of you know what I mean )

So what are some hints for US to be able to do stuff if we can't lift, reach, bend, and some have pain and low energy?

My #1 hint involves getting the dishes washed (we have no dishwasher) ... fill the sink with soapy water in the morning (or if you can't stand it, before each meal) ...in go all the dishes as they're used, and they soak... "a while" later (all day if you want), go and swipe each dish, rinse, and put in the rack to dry. I even had a few days where each time I used the bathroom, I washed two or three and then left the rest.

My #2 hint is to get several of the Chlorox Wipes (you know, the things like diaper wipes, but for cleaning) - stash one in each room - whenever you pass through a room, pick one surface, wipe, toss.

The two keys seem to be keeping up with the BIG stuff (and you should have help with that) and the little stuff can be done in 1-minute increments like I'm describing above.

We're so used to "I'm going to clean the kitchen, that will take half an hour, what a chore" that we don't stop and think we can break the task down into bite-sized chunks and still get it done. Sort of like eating an elephant.

I should add that doing these "small" things that don't hurt us are very good for those husbands who are less sympathetic... it's somehow emotionally easier on someone who hears and sees, "I'm doing what I can" versus, "I'm not doing anything at all"...

What are your hints?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2011, 07:53 AM
Re: Housework Hints

Those were great! My dh is great. He is trying to help a lot, but I am not the type to accept much help. But I always used a rag, and pledge before to dust. Now I bought a swiffer duster and it still dusts great, and its fast and easy.
Also, I am 5 days post op, can I sweep yet? I know I can not vaccuum but can I sweep with a broom? I feel great, and I go in today to get my staples removed. I guess I can just ask my doc today when I see her.
THank you for those tips!
Unread 12-06-2011, 08:01 AM
Re: Housework Hints

SS, to be honest, I had a TLH and you've had an actual incision... I'm 3 weeks post-op tomorrow and sweeping is the one thing I haven't picked back up at ALL yet. Something about that motion triggers pain for me. But other things that you'd think would cause pain really don't.

I'd say try it - and don't do much of it, just do a small section - and see how it feels a couple hours later.

We bought a battery-op sweeper called a Shark... cost about $30 at WalMart... we bought a house with NO carpet except for in the laundry room. Well that little bit of carpet needs vacuumed, and I'm not keeping a vac just for that. Turns out the thing does better than a broom on all our hardwood. So I may never sweep again!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register