How soon do you see menopause symptoms post-op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How soon do you see menopause symptoms post-op? How soon do you see menopause symptoms post-op?

Unread 12-06-2011, 06:39 PM
How soon do you see menopause symptoms post-op?

My plan is to control menopause naturally. I plan on taking natural progesterone (and other natural supplements) because I had good success with it pre-op.

But was wondering how soon do you generally see/feel menopause symptoms post op?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Re: How soon do you see menopause symptoms post-op?

I didn't have any symptoms until I was 8 weeks post-op. It's mostly been just hot flashes and at 3 months I am still dealing with them. I do not take any HRT. If this will be my only symptom then I consider myself lucky. They can be a pain and sometimes embarrassing but compared to what I was going through before my hysterectomy I rather have the flashes!!
Unread 12-06-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee2827 View Post
I didn't have any symptoms until I was 8 weeks post-op. It's mostly been just hot flashes and at 3 months I am still dealing with them. I do not take any HRT. If this will be my only symptom then I consider myself lucky. They can be a pain and sometimes embarrassing but compared to what I was going through before my hysterectomy I rather have the flashes!!
Dee, I'm so happy for you. I feel a huge relief of my symptoms since the surgery. I'm so glad you feel better and that the hot flashes are manageable for you.

I am so happy when we are feeling better. It happened for me too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitter4years View Post
Dee, I'm so happy for you. I feel a huge relief of my symptoms since the surgery. I'm so glad you feel better and that the hot flashes are manageable for you.

I am so happy when we are feeling better. It happened for me too.
That's great! I'm so happy for you too! You hear so many horror stories on here that it's so good to hear the positive ones too!!! Best wishes!
Unread 12-07-2011, 01:03 PM

It was 48 hours after surgery for me. I started an herbal remedy right away, but it did not work or have time to work. Hot flashes and night sweats that increased throughout the week. Insomnia hit about day 5. Crying jags started about day 7 and then I hit the wall with a migraine and am now on HRT. Didnt think I would do it - or have to do it - but I felt to lousy to consider anything else.

I wouldnt have done it had I only been dealing with hot flashes.
Unread 12-07-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdoodle View Post
It was 48 hours after surgery for me. I started an herbal remedy right away, but it did not work or have time to work. Hot flashes and night sweats that increased throughout the week. Insomnia hit about day 5. Crying jags started about day 7 and then I hit the wall with a migraine and am now on HRT. Didnt think I would do it - or have to do it - but I felt to lousy to consider anything else.

I wouldnt have done it had I only been dealing with hot flashes.

Good for you for having the ability to take good care of yourself and go with the flow. I didn't like the idea of hormone replacement before I knew I was going to have a hysterectomy. But then I realized I would hit a big old menopause when I got my ovaries taken out and I didn't want to deal with that after surgery all at once.

I want to heal and then deal with menopause. Not all at once if I can avoid it. I am on HRT since the surgery and doing fine.

I'm glad you are feeling better. Yay!
Unread 12-07-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitter4years View Post
Good for you for having the ability to take good care of yourself and go with the flow. I didn't like the idea of hormone replacement before I knew I was going to have a hysterectomy. But then I realized I would hit a big old menopause when I got my ovaries taken out and I didn't want to deal with that after surgery all at once.

I want to heal and then deal with menopause. Not all at once if I can avoid it. I am on HRT since the surgery and doing fine.

I'm glad you are feeling better. Yay!
Good for you. Wish I would have started right away - I am nearly 55 and I guess my doc thought I was nearly over the Big Finish Line, LOL. I actually ended up three days in the hospital until it all got straightened out - so I paid a high price for this mis-estimate. I am now on a Climera patch and all the symptoms have gone away. Blood pressure shot up some, so I wonder about that and what other side effects I might encounter, but its only been 5 days so I know I have to be careful about drawing conclusions.

Good luck on your journey
Unread 12-07-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadToLaugh View Post
My plan is to control menopause naturally. I plan on taking natural progesterone (and other natural supplements) because I had good success with it pre-op.

But was wondering how soon do you generally see/feel menopause symptoms post op?
I saw it within two weeks of my surgery.
Slight hot flashes, no libido whatsoever, insomnia.

Within 3 months my libido returned, I lost weight, exercised, ate less, and took an OTC allergy pill to combat the sleep disorder.

A good mood returned.
Honestly, my doctor says I am the first patient was in a happy mood after a hysterectomy.

I don't have my ovaries, and don't take HRT because I am "prone" to cancer.

I hope this mood and situation stays around.
Unread 12-07-2011, 07:57 PM

I am 8 weeks post op with one ovary. I began having the night flashes at this point. Hard to sleep and soak in wet. I believe they will subside soon. Any added info is welcomed!
Unread 12-08-2011, 11:53 AM

Hi ladies!

I had my hysterectomy almost 11 years ago, but just had BSO on Friday 12/2. I have not had any menopausal symptoms, as of yet. For some reason, I thought that would hit me immediately following surgery. As I have been reading, it may be too early for me to be experiencing symptoms, or not. Everyone is different...it's so complicated.

I just wanted to say thank-you for sharing your positive experiences.

Hugs,

Monica

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register