post op 7 days | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

post op 7 days post op 7 days

Unread 12-07-2011, 06:19 AM
post op 7 days

It has been 7 days, I am still feeling sharp pain on right side and the gas is back, Why? My legs keep going numb. I looked that up and it is probably NOT blood clots because it is in both legs. What is normal? I am suppose to go back to work Monday and I cannot imagine. I am really emotional too and I still have 1 ovary. Is that normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2011, 06:51 AM
Re: post op 7 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreveryoung121 View Post
It has been 7 days, I am still feeling sharp pain on right side and the gas is back, Why? My legs keep going numb. I looked that up and it is probably NOT blood clots because it is in both legs. What is normal? I am suppose to go back to work Monday and I cannot imagine. I am really emotional too and I still have 1 ovary. Is that normal?
Take a deep breath, sweetie! I know your body is going through a lot right now and it is hard to tell what is normal and what isn't.

As far as the gas, I think that is fairly normal. You and I had different procedures, but I had gas for a few weeks after the surgery. It takes awhile for your bowels to get working correctly again after any kind of surgery. Call your to find out if you can take Gas X or something to relieve it. Also, drink PLENTY of water and walk as much as you can...not speed walking, mind you, but just moving around will help your bowels work everything out

As far as the numbness in your legs...I'm really not sure on that. Maybe someone who has had DvH can speak on that. I seem to remember that some women who had that procedure did have some numbness, but again, check with your doctor to be sure.

Now, the emotions....yes, that is normal as well. Even though you still have one ovary, there is a chance that it is "sleeping". Sometimes the ovaries go into a sort of shock after this surgery and it can take some time for them to start working properly again. If you are really concerned about this issue, again, speak to your doctor. Maybe the two of you can discuss what options are available to you. Keep in mind too that you just had MAJOR surgery!! You are bound to be a bit emotional, especially given the nature of the surgery. Give yourself time to heal both physically and emotionally. Be patient with yourself. You are so early in recovery, so try not to get discouraged.

I'm sure you will be seeing your doctor again before you are released to head back to work. Make sure you write down your concerns so that you can remember to ask him/her about it. It always helps to keep a symptom diary so that you can let your know exactly how you feel!!

to you. Keep your head up, it does get better.
Unread 12-07-2011, 06:56 AM

Thank you, I don't know what I would do without my sisters. They don't send you home with a recovery manual. I'm going to call my Doc this morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreveryoung121 View Post
Thank you, I don't know what I would do without my sisters. They don't send you home with a recovery manual. I'm going to call my Doc this morning.

And you are right...no manuals. It does help to come here to see what others have gone through. Glad you are calling your doctor. It is ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register