TLH 10 weeks post-op - a small step back? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

10 weeks post-op - a small step back? 10 weeks post-op - a small step back?

Unread 12-14-2011, 07:25 AM
Re: 10 weeks post-op - a small step back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizaloo View Post
Hi Elspethsheir thanks for your reply x I remember when you went back to work - I was thinking to myself and I think i actually commented on here that I felt it was too soon-or that I could not imagine that I was anywhere near ready to go back to mine x You sounded as if you had recovered way quicker than me and I was envious of you! lol Its silly how we compare ourselves to others when we are all different - different jobs, levels of fitness, support in our recovery/or not as the case may be.....the list goes on! I became a grandmother 2 weeks after my surgery and my daughter and baby are living with us so ive not really had much of a chance to take it easy! But we've coped so far though I must say I think its starting to tell on me now x im not sleeping well at all and the tears are never far away! Ive been going to physio for my back & knee and apparently I have hardly any core strength and my leg muscles are struggling to support me! After writing this post im beginning to wonder if there may be the slightest wee hint of depression in there as well, or im just feeling sorry for myself- sorry ive been ranting again!!! As someone else said earlier I have had no follow up support from my doctors either as I cannot take HRT, i have asked but I was told its just a case of finding what works for you!?
Anyhow... I hope you're doing good and that you're all organised for the holidays and you can take time to chill and enjoy x Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all xxx
Aw, Lizaloo, I do remember this! I just tell myself there's no award for healing fastest (if there is, no one had better tell me). You've been through so much! Even good stress of a new family member is stress on our bodies and minds, and it sounds like you haven't had a chance to catch your breath in a long while now.

I don't think you're wallowing in self-sorrow - I think our hormones affect our sense of well-being so much, and add that to everything else you have on your plate - no wonder it can get you down! Have you asked around here about alternatives to HRT? I think there are several women who can't take it for a variety of reasons, and perhaps they can direct you to something that might work. With some of our health issues, I find we really have to self-advocate to get what we need. Don't give up!!

I'm happy to report that I'm feeling much much better, 11 weeks post-op, than I was last week. I learned my lesson. I may have to re-learn it a week from now, but I hope not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elspethsheir View Post
...but with all five of my laps, I'd get that pulling by my belly button whenever I was doing a twist too many.
I had a lot of zings, sensitivity and irritation about 4 weeks post-op at my belly button which my doctor's nurse said was the nerves re-attaching.

But I'm 10 weeks today and while it's better and not so sensitive anymore, I still get little zings and annoying little twinges. Your comment made me think maybe it's all part of my overdoing it aches. I've been a little concerned why it still gives me some issue this late into it because the nurse told me a couple weeks. And while the worst of the "pain" was only a few weeks but my belly button is far from normal still.
Unread 12-14-2011, 09:58 PM

I'm at 4 months and am definitely still having zings and incision soreness. It doesn't even have to involve much physical activity. I spent about 10-16 hours sitting (with little breaks throughout), but the muscles pulling still caused a pain flare up that I hope doesn't last mire more than a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beryl55 View Post
I'm at 4 months and am definitely still having zings and incision soreness. It doesn't even have to involve much physical activity. I spent about 10-16 hours sitting (with little breaks throughout), but the muscles pulling still caused a pain flare up that I hope doesn't last mire more than a day.
I've found that sitting gives me more... of a discomfort than standing (excepting last week, when standing was a challenge too). I wonder if this is because sitting puts pressure in the pelvic area with nowhere for it to go. (Sort of like an involuntary workout for the area.) I hope that the flare-up has passed now for you! 10-16 hours of sitting, even with breaks, seems a long time even without major surgery!!

Today, I feel more like I did week 9, when all was wonderful, which is why I am not going to go for a run or do ab work. Just some gentle stretches and a full day at work.
Unread 12-15-2011, 07:45 AM

i just know when i had both of my c-sections that it took me a good 6 months to feel completely normal .a hysterectomy is a major surgery and i have been told it will take a full year before your body has completely healed.i am on week #4 and i feel like i did in week #2.i thought i was better and started doing a lot of stuff and i have set myself back.i am only going to work friday and saturday of this week.this is totally A HURRY UP AND WAIT recuperation for me
Unread 12-15-2011, 04:19 PM

At 14 weeks I find things have evened out a lot - I mean, I seldom get pains that disturb me, or last more than briefly.

I am at peace about it all, knowing I have come a LONG way towards normal, but understanding that full healing might take a year. I heard from someone who had a total hysto. in 1993 and she said even she had some rare "twangs" (I loved her word.... sounds like nerves vibrating!)

You know...... I even think my swelly belly MIGHT be a little less than it was, but I don't want to jinx it!

Whatever we feel or wherever we are at, we have to be better off than pre-op..... surely!

Happy healing everyone!
Unread 12-16-2011, 08:38 PM

I am 10 weeks post-op and having the same lack of energy. I think it is just going to take awhile, we have put our bodies through a lot of trauma. While the outside wound has healed, who knows what our inside is doing to try to heal itself. Sometimes it is hard for me to remember that
Unread 12-16-2011, 08:45 PM

ya'll exactly right.this is something we'll just have to cope with.we can do it.i have confidence in us.we can do this surely.but yeah its better than pre-op.
Unread 12-17-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyCharlie View Post
I am 10 weeks post-op and having the same lack of energy. I think it is just going to take awhile, we have put our bodies through a lot of trauma. While the outside wound has healed, who knows what our inside is doing to try to heal itself. Sometimes it is hard for me to remember that
I think it's hard for most of us to remember this. I tore three ligaments in my ankle one year, and I had a cane and then an ankle brace to remind me to take it easy for many months. If only we had something similar for internal healing! I will say, as I approach 12 weeks post-op, that resting up apart from the flurry of work activity has helped immensely, and my energy level is now good. (And to not deal with all the awful pain I had pre-surgery... well, I know not to do any vigorous dancing at the moment, but mentally, I am.)

I hope that everyone is taking it easy as best she can - I know that this time of year can be hectic even when we're 'fighting fit'.
Unread 12-17-2011, 02:32 PM

i am happy just to have a christmas tree and thats it.i have bought 1 son his christmas ,my hubby his,bought odds and ends online.i am gonna make 1 trip shopping towards end of the week and thats it.i am trying to remember we cant see our cane or crutches we have inside our body.i wish we could see how good or bad we're healing,but we dont have our own personal x-ray machine,boy wouldnt that be nice!i think everybody forgets what we have put our bodies through p.s. i have been taking multivitamins and iron.i figured it wouldnt hurt anything

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register