Got cancelled 30 minutes before surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Got cancelled 30 minutes before surgery Got cancelled 30 minutes before surgery

Unread 12-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Got cancelled 30 minutes before surgery

I was SO ready!

Admitted, changed, IV already hooked up for 30 minutes.

My surgeon comes in to tell me that not enough people were discharged this morning in addition to two deliveries and an incoming emergency surgery.

They gave me a slot for next Friday reserved for C-sections, potential to get bumped again, apparently.

On an upnote there is a birthday celebration for a friend this weekend that I can re-RSVP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Re: Got cancelled 30 minutes before surgery

Aaaaaa! that would be terrible. Glad you have something fun to do this weekend.

I hope they don't bump me. My gyn only does surgery on Tuesdays. My schedule might be able to tolerate 1 week bump but no more. After that it would have to wait for 4 months.
Unread 12-07-2011, 01:08 PM

My gyn only gets Wednesday afternoons. Her Wednesdays are booked right up to her mat leave. That's why they gave her the un-reserved C-section slot on a Friday. If I get bumped again then it will be mid March.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2011, 02:13 PM

What the............... !!!!

I would be furious and honestly would change doctors.

I mean that is a lot to go through to CANCEL 30 min before surgery. I can't believe you had changed, had an IV, etc.

Did you have to be NPO & do the bowel prep the day before. I did and if that had happened to me, it would've pushed me over the edge & I would have nutted up on the entire hospital. Its stressful enough leading up to surgery and then they pull that crap !

OMG !
Unread 12-07-2011, 02:25 PM

I guess you can look at this 2 ways: On the bright side-The dr realized they could not accomodate you. I was thrown into an overcrowded delivery floor with crabby nurses who said it was the most babies born ever that day. Needless to say I was pretty neglected at the Hospital.
However- I would have freaked out if they told me they couldn't do my surgery that day after the bowel cleanser and pre-surgery stress.
Looking back- I wish they would have said-"hey we are just too full to fit you in today" because the hospital stay was a nightmare.
I was vomiting up my pain pills and the nurse says she has to go help another patient- needless to say she had to clean up the vomit when she returned!
FYI
Iam 2 weeks post-op
Unread 12-07-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltec View Post
What the............... !!!!

I would be furious and honestly would change doctors.

I mean that is a lot to go through to CANCEL 30 min before surgery. I can't believe you had changed, had an IV, etc.

Did you have to be NPO & do the bowel prep the day before. I did and if that had happened to me, it would've pushed me over the edge & I would have nutted up on the entire hospital. Its stressful enough leading up to surgery and then they pull that crap !

OMG !
I think I was just so stunned I said very little. They pulled out my IV and told me to get dressed. I did not have to do pre-op diet or cleanse. Just nothing after midnight. I don't have to do any additional preop bloodwork. I am just afraid that something dumb will happen now like I get a cold or there is a freak snowstorm next Friday. I was just so darn ready! I don't really want to change doctors - it's not her fault. It's the fault of healthcare in Canada and understaffed hospitals. She is at least taking the initiative to do surgery on a day she does not usually do it. I can deal with next Friday. If I have to wait until March then I will probably ask her to refer me to an associate - but then the wait starts again and she may still be the quicker option...... one more period now, sigh.
Unread 12-07-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaAngel View Post
I guess you can look at this 2 ways: On the bright side-The dr realized they could not accomodate you. I was thrown into an overcrowded delivery floor with crabby nurses who said it was the most babies born ever that day. Needless to say I was pretty neglected at the Hospital.
However- I would have freaked out if they told me they couldn't do my surgery that day after the bowel cleanser and pre-surgery stress.
Looking back- I wish they would have said-"hey we are just too full to fit you in today" because the hospital stay was a nightmare.
I was vomiting up my pain pills and the nurse says she has to go help another patient- needless to say she had to clean up the vomit when she returned!
FYI
Iam 2 weeks post-op
All good points. Thank you. As my surgeon said "we have a bed for you but no one to look after you" I just hope next Friday is a go.... otherwise it's switch doctors or wait till March - I work for agricultural related companies so spring gets tough for me. We waited until this time of year for recovery purposes.......
Unread 12-07-2011, 02:42 PM

omg feeling for you.
England has the same problem with well understaffed hospitals.
Good luck with Friday as I am sure it will go ahead ok
Rest and relax loads in recovery x
Unread 12-07-2011, 02:50 PM

Oh Wow, you poor thing. You wait with butterflies right up to the 30 min mark, and then your rescheduled. Well on the good side at least your not in a hospital room waiting a long time for a nurse to give you your pain meds. There is a reason for everything!! It was just meant for you to wait until next week. Have a blast at the party this weekend.
Unread 12-07-2011, 02:52 PM

Thanks Jane UK

I pray next Friday is a go - even though it takes away any hope I had of attending any Christmas celebration outside of my home. From what I understand the "repair" work I need in addition to the hysterectomy make if quite difficult to sit (comfortably) for some time. Also seems many posterior repared ladies have a cathether for a significant time....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register