Scheduled LAVH what can I do to prepare for surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what can I do to prepare for surgery what can I do to prepare for surgery

Unread 12-07-2011, 10:30 PM
what can I do to prepare for surgery

My surgery is on December 22, and I am trying to do everything I can to prepare ahead of time. Please share anything you can regarding pre-op and stay in hospital. Thanks so much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Re: what can I do to prepare for surgery on December 22

Ok, I had a lavh. I myelf stayed over night at hosptial and didnt want to bring a lot of personal stuff, as I didn't wana have to worry about dealing with making sure I had it all when I left. As well, I left phone at home and any internet so I can rest. I only took my hairbrush with me, and tooth brush and tooth paste. I was able to take a shower in the morning the next day in the hosptial and it felt good, So if your anything like me you will wana use some nice non drying body soap, take the travels size stuff so If you loose it there its not big deal. My skin was very dry after hyster. even my nipples. Still today.
Try exercise as much as possible prior, stay healthy. Get your house ready as far as a place erea you will be hanging in. In the living room I had lotions and drink and wahtever I was gonna need in there. I had easy meals to pre pare at home in the microwave and easy snacks I had already in living room so I didnt have to keep getting up.
Another thing you could do is clean your house before hand, maybe mop your floors day before or vaccum as you wont be doing that for a while unless you have some one there to do it for you.
Hope I helped some. Good luck with your surgery!
Unread 12-07-2011, 10:59 PM

To prepare for LAVH- One year ago today I had my surgery. First- make a list. Do you have enough time off? Check to make sure you have paid the monthly bills- or you have someone else taking care of that- you might be in a fog. Make sure the house is clean enough before you leave for the hospital- you are not going to worry about it after that. If you send out cards or bake, do that now- start pacing yourself- you do not want to be up baking cookies the night before!
Make sure your pets/children are going to be cared for. Set up your recovery center- sometimes it is easier to sleep in an armchair than in your bed. Put things there that will help you pass the time once you return. You will want books, magazines, etc.,.
Check with your doctor about any pre op tests you may need. Do not let yourself get rundown- if you get sick, you may not be able to have your surgery. I also suggest getting a grabber- I had my hubby go out and by one- you'd be surprised how challenging it will be for a couple of weeks to reach things.
Don't over pack if you will be hospitalized overnight, as you are most likely to do. I left my jewelry at home, but I still brought too much. Here is all I really needed:
Lotion, lip balm, and some throat lozenges.
A robe and slippers
I was wheeled into OR around 5. Woke up after midnight in my room. Went home in the afternoon.
Get your meds filled before, and bring a pillow for the ride home. We got stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, the meds they gave me at the hospital were wearing off, and I felt every bump in a way I never had before.
Oh, and one more thing- nurse told me I couldn't lift anything over 10 pounds for six weeks. I had left my purse at home. Good thing- when I cleaned it out, it weighed 7 pounds!
Hoping all the best for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2011, 11:23 PM

Hi, I too am trying to prepare for Dec. 22nd TAH. UGH. So far, I have made several lists. I have all my Xmas shopping done. Just have to wrap it. I have a bit more baking to do, clean the house, grocery shop etc. I don't have a large freezer, and what space I do have is filled with baking, So I am not precooking many meals. I plan to have my parents over on the 19th for turkey dinner. I'll be in the hospital for minimum of 2 nights , so that puts me home on Christmas Eve. Christmas is going to be very low key here this year. I wish I had words of wisdom, but I don't. I am happy that I took the days off of work the week of my surgery to tie up loose ends. I have so much to do, and ZERO motivation! Good luck, I look forward to others experiences to help us both.
Unread 12-08-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMissStarlett View Post
Ok, I had a lavh. I myelf stayed over night at hosptial and didnt want to bring a lot of personal stuff, as I didn't wana have to worry about dealing with making sure I had it all when I left. As well, I left phone at home and any internet so I can rest. I only took my hairbrush with me, and tooth brush and tooth paste. I was able to take a shower in the morning the next day in the hosptial and it felt good, So if your anything like me you will wana use some nice non drying body soap, take the travels size stuff so If you loose it there its not big deal. My skin was very dry after hyster. even my nipples. Still today.
Try exercise as much as possible prior, stay healthy. Get your house ready as far as a place erea you will be hanging in. In the living room I had lotions and drink and wahtever I was gonna need in there. I had easy meals to pre pare at home in the microwave and easy snacks I had already in living room so I didnt have to keep getting up.
Another thing you could do is clean your house before hand, maybe mop your floors day before or vaccum as you wont be doing that for a while unless you have some one there to do it for you.
Hope I helped some. Good luck with your surgery!
I agree with this. I hardly brought anything with me to the hospital. I would add chapstick to the list. Make yourself a bedroom nest and a family room nest. Food in the freezer, groceries in the pantry, clean sheets on the bed. I felt pretty good and could easily care for myself, but not for those around me or my house. I am a netflix user and I got several good movies queued up and settled in.
Unread 12-08-2011, 10:35 AM

Hi, I am DVH 3day post-op. I was more worried about the recovery than the actual surgery. With everything to prepare for clean house, make sure bills are paid, easy food access etc. I went in the morning of my surgery planning on spending the night and was told before my surgery if I feel ok after it, it was my option to go home. So I did. My recovery so far has been pleasant to say the least. Pain for the first day and now just sore when I get in/out of bed or walk (no speed walking yet) I got out of bed yesterday and watched TV for hours last night with no dicomfort. I feel I was so worried and freaked out for nothing. So far so good. I know that having your surgery closed to Christmas is more stressful but just put your ducks in a row and relax
It will be ok!!. Good Luck and take care
Unread 12-08-2011, 10:47 AM

I have been cooking up a storm the past few weeks. When I make meatloaf I make 4 not 1. I have done up meatballs, grilled chicken, chicken cooked in teriyaki sauce, pre-bbq'd hamburg patties, spagetti sauce, a few different soups, a few types of chili, shepherds pie and lasagna. I have even gone as far to brown packages of ground beef and portion for making hamburger helper. I made a turkey last week as well as a roast beef and cabbage rolls. I have a vaccuum bag sealer and am confident that everything tastes fresh upon reheating. My hubby is not gifted in the cooking department by any means so it is only to my advantage to have this done for us/myself. I put all the supplies I think I might need on an eye level shelf. My surgery had to be rescheduled but prior to my first date I began stool softeners a week before. Get your bills paid ahead (if you are the family bookkeeper)....
Unread 12-08-2011, 09:31 PM

thanks so much I am doing exactly what you just told me, I have started making my list and cleaning already.
Unread 12-08-2011, 09:36 PM

thanks so much I am so grateful for this site, I feel like we are all sisters in this together, this is so encouraging. Thanks so much.
Unread 12-09-2011, 08:59 PM

Hey, we have all been there. Seriously, last year I was on this site at least once a day for a month or more.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register