May be offensive but I need to vent! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

May be offensive but I need to vent! May be offensive but I need to vent!

Unread 12-07-2011, 11:53 PM
May be offensive but I need to vent!

I have a TVH scheduled for friday morning. I am at complete peace with this decision. When I first found these boards a few weeks ago I couldn't say the same.

Today I met with my surgeon, he was very good and answered my questions in a plain and easy to understand manner. Since all he is is the surgeon I know I don't need to have an outstanding relationship with him I just need to know that he is the best at what he does. I was concerned with some of the comments that he made regarding my recovery but I kept them to myself, I knew I would speak to my primary care physician later and get a plan in place.

I am sch. for friday morning surgery, I think that if he had his wish he would send me home before supper time but the 23 hour revovery min will be held by me and longer if I need it. The thing is according to him it is old school to tell me I can't drive or go to work and that as soon as I feel capable and am off narcotic pain meds I am clear for both including returning to work Monday after Friday's surgery.
That freaked me out so I texted my primary who agrees that is a little rushed. We will take things as they come (I don't honestly expect to be down long this is including wisdom teeth my 8th surgery under general. I also don't want to rush my recovery.

Anyway this is sort of a jumble before I go to sleep but I want to wish all the 12/8 princesses a great and successful day and I will see you on the other side happier, healthier and ready for the next stage of our lives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2011, 12:10 AM
Re: May be offensive but I need to vent!

This is crazy to say go back to work that fast. I know at first I told my Dr I had to return after two weeks, but after all the hours of reading on here, I am not going back for 4 weeks minimum. This is so about US, more than any other surgery, we deserve to fully recover and relax a little afterwards.

Best of luck!
Unread 12-08-2011, 12:32 AM

Be careful and do what you know your body needs.

Just one example -- I am feeling really good 15 days post-op from all procedures but needed to drive some yesterday and it really starting hurting after a bit. It felt like my insides were being jiggled so much and I was really exhausted and sore that night. When I am a passenger I can use my tummy pillow to help but with both hands on the wheel you are stuck to jiggling. Even though I was OK'd to drive after 2 weeks I still should use my head and take everything slowly!

Best of luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2011, 02:05 AM

I would talk to him directly.
Tell him that you are concerned about the time to go home from the hospital and the time off of work.
You don't want to go back until you are ready.

My surgeon wanted me discharged after 23 hours, but I said "no way."
Besides, there was a huge storm outside, and I did not want anyone to pick me up in the dark and rain.

I stayed an extra day.

As far as when to return back to work: He asked ME when I felt comfortable returning at my 2 week check up.

We picked a date, he wrote the employer note, and he told me that if I wanted an extension for any reason, just call and he will write me a new one (with a later date).

I know that I won't be needing this doctor forever, but he sure has been nice.

My point is, ask questions. If he is not willing to work with you,
maybe it is best that you find another doctor.

Good Luck.
Unread 12-08-2011, 05:59 AM

I went back to work FROM HOME a few days post-op, part time, all I do (at home) is desk work, and it was nearly too much. After a week, better, and now three weeks later I'm fully back to work and trying to catch up... but going back Mon from a Fri surgery? Ummmm. Is he nuts? I'm sure a few women can/'would but I can't picture that being recommended.

Driving, if you've had laparascopic, is probably fine that quickly if you're off the narcs. But work? mmmmmmmm.

Smile sweetly and suggest that he have a complete removal of certain parts of the male anatomy and then he go back to work a couple days later... let you know how that works out for him...
Unread 12-08-2011, 06:27 AM

I had a different abdominal surgery a few years ago, and I can't fathom going back to work that soon! I agree that you should say face to face, that won't work. I guess, if your PCP is in control of your post-op then that's what matters most, but it disturbs me that your surgeon could be so flippant about your health!
Unread 12-08-2011, 06:50 AM

Wow - going back to work on Monday after a surgery on Friday? That seems a bit quick, and a lot odd that the surgeon would even consider it. Guess he's from the school where women squatted in the fields and had their babies, then picked them up and went back to work...(sorry, that was mean).

Listen to your body, be frank with him on your needs, and don't rush it. You deserve the down time to rest and adjust. It doesn't matter how the procedure is done, it's still major surgery. Best of luck to you and I look forward to seeing your updates on your recovery!!

HUGS!!!
Unread 12-08-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missourigal View Post
Guess he's from the school where women squatted in the fields and had their babies, then picked them up and went back to work...(sorry, that was mean).
Wow you're right... there is an older school than old-school, and that was it. Ugh.
Unread 12-08-2011, 08:01 AM

I agree with everyone here!! I think it's crazy that he wants to send you home the same day and ok's work a few days after along with driving. My GYN is keeping me over night, no driving for 2 weeks and out of work 6 weeks. Granted I work in retail and stand for hours and lift boxes bending and stretching and climbing ladders stocking shelves. From what I have learned on this wonderful site is listen to your body and rest and relax as much as you need so your body has time to recover.
Unread 12-08-2011, 08:44 AM

I agree that you have to be the judge of your own body and recovery. My doctor allowed me to drive short distance and work part time - if I felt like it. He really wanted me off for two weeks. I actually felt really good - not even that tired - until I did go to work on the fourth day home from the hospital - found myself tired after a half day of desk work. Stayed home another day, then went back full time. Made a 34 hour driving trip in four days - just two weeks later - I felt fine and did ok. Had a little bleeding - but it was expected from the internal stitches disolving.

Bottom line - if I hadn't felt so good - I wouldn't have pushed it either. But I never even felt like I had surgery. I was very blessed. But cheated out of getting pampered!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register