Scheduled dVH/RALH Worried about dignity during hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Worried about dignity during hysterectomy Worried about dignity during hysterectomy

Unread 12-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Worried about dignity during hysterectomy

I feel like I should have worn ear plugs during that pre-op appointment. My doctor informed me that she tips me upside down. I'm a "fluffly" woman and all I can think of is stuff hanging everywhere. YES I know these are medical professionals etc, which is what everyone tells me but still...its my dignity here. I'm really a modest person. I am seriously freaked out knowing that my "girls" are hangin out and I'm exposed down there...I'm just super embarassed. I'm comfortable about my husband seeing me naked of course, its just anyone else that makes me really uncomfortable. I know I'll be asleep so I won't care, but before and after I will. So I know I'll get over it eventually, but it would be nice if someone else felt the same way. I am having this done 2 days before Christmas. I also want to know how you felt the day after? I want to be at my moms on Christmas eve to watch my kids open their presents and everyone says I won't feel like it. But all I will be doing is laying on the couch...whats so bad about that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Re: Worried about dignity during hysterectomy

I thought we were tipped slightly...not completely upsidedown???? Im not thrilled about being completely exposed...but im not thrilled about laying on my bathroom floor in a ball crying in pain either I too am fluffy....as long as they help us feel better
Unread 12-08-2011, 12:45 PM

Not to worry.... everything will be covered up with surgical drapes except the surgical field. And that's all you are to them in there... a surgical field. By the way, you don't tip all the way upside down; you're on an incline with your head lower than your feet so that your other organs slide out of the way to make it easier to get at your uterus.

I would not be counting on being anywhere but either in the hospital or home in bed on Christmas Eve. I was in the hospital two nights, though now one night is more usual. Still, during the first few days post op, even sitting upright is an 'activity' and puts strain on your healing tissues because of the weight of your body pushing down on them. That includes riding in the car.

You *may* feel up to going over and laying on the couch... but don't count on it. And consider what would happen if an excited child jumped up on you there... I don't think I'd take the risk.

s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2011, 12:46 PM

She said upside down....I take that literally, whether I should or not I am not sure. I have a huge fear of being upside down and falling. I don't ride carnival rides or anything for this reason. The thought of being upside is terrifying, but so is the thought of being so exposed. Sure, I can't wait to not bleed 25 out of 30 days a month, I can't wait to not have excruciating pain and urinary incontinence. I am only 26, and having to use bladder control products is humiliating...not to mention the major lack of a sex life....and the hormones. I can't believe my husband hasn't thrown in the towel...he's really patient...even if he says hi and I throw an emotional fit. I'm ready for the benefits, just not the embarrassment.
Unread 12-08-2011, 12:54 PM

My husband has been great too...a real support...u need to talk to your dr...about being completely upsidedown or slightly tilted.....to being completely exposed or covered with drapes....i bet you will feel better after talking to dr....{{hugs})
Unread 12-08-2011, 12:55 PM

The position is called Steep Trendelenberg... the scene in the OR looks like this:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/709961_2

s,
-Linda
Unread 12-08-2011, 01:09 PM

yep, that is as bad as I was anticipating....I really need to stop googling stuff about this. I'm worried about how I will be able to move past the dignity part. I had 3 c-sections and the only thing exposed during my surgery was my stomach. there was blue drapes and things everywhere else. I would hope that would be the case here too and then they'd just uncover parts as they were needed but I just don't know. I really need to stop worrying about it but that is much easier said than done.
Unread 12-08-2011, 01:42 PM

I had my surgery last week. I walked into the surgical suite, got up on the bed, answered a few questions and lay down flat. The anesthesiologist came over and sat down and put his hand on my shoulder. "I'm just giving you something to relax." Then he put the mask over my face and said, "this is just oxygen". The nurse started sticking the electrode things on my chest, reaching under my gown (no looking) and they were talking about turning down the music and that was the last thing I remember til I woke up 3 hours later in recovery. I am fine with the spaces in between and not knowing or thinking about what happened while I was away. I find it best not to think about it. It's out of your hands. You'll probably never see any of the OR staff ever again any way.
Best of luck to you.
Ara
Unread 12-08-2011, 02:07 PM

We have to go thru so much as women, exposed to Dr's, nurses, interns, etc...after a point in your life that small thing doesnt matter anymore. I was really self conscious about it when I was younger...now at 47, two kids (my last one was 10lbs and 24" and I had a ROOM full of medical people!) and who knows how many dr visits later that wont be a top worry. lol. Besides, just think how many they see in a day! Unless you have some amazing tattoos or piercings I dont think they will even remember you ;-)
Unread 12-08-2011, 04:47 PM

I'm not the most squeamish person but this is exactly the reason I don't go look at the videos of surgery. I know enough to know what is basically going to happen but I don't have vivid images stuck in my head. Maybe I'll look afterward.

As for Christmas, I guess it would depend on how far of a drive and how you feel. If Mom's is very close then maybe you'll feel up to the ride.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register