Scheduled dVH/RALH Worried about dignity during hysterectomy - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Worried about dignity during hysterectomy Worried about dignity during hysterectomy

Unread 12-08-2011, 06:10 PM
Re: Worried about dignity during hysterectomy

I was worried about being exposed during surgery too. I'm ok with my gyne since he's been in my area many times doing exams, many biopsies and surgery on my cervix. But I wasnt keen in the cute anesthetist and all the nurses seeing my legs open wide. But what can you do. I still make a point of not thinking about it. As for Christmas eve I know I wouldn't have been able to do it. I spent two nights in the hospital and the first night at home I hardly remember. It's a blur of sleep, pain and drugs. And if I had left the house I definitely would have paid the price the next day. Be careful and listen to your body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2011, 06:22 PM

I too am very modest. It took many years for my best friend to even know I had a tattoo(spur of the moment thing I did when I was 18!) but I asked my Dr about the exposure level and he said that everything would be covered until it was time for my bits to come out(LVH). And I feel very comfortable with the situation because I trust him as he is very professional, even if he is only 10 years older than me ( I'm 27!)
Unread 12-09-2011, 01:47 AM

Don't worry -- you'll do fine and they'll give you some great drugs so you won't mind what they do or who sees you! Yay!

I don't know about that Xmas car ride though. The car really hurt me and that was about 8 days post-op. I felt like it jiggled all my healing insides and really set me back a bit after I got home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2011, 05:17 AM

I am not sure what surgery you are having but I had the davinci and was awake when they rolled me into the operating room. It was interesting...the nurses started wrapping me up almost like a cocoon with big cloths and also soft foam like pads...that's the last thing I remember, so who knows what happened after that! But the way things were going before I went into lala land, I don't believe my upper body (breasts) were exposed during surgery.
Unread 12-09-2011, 07:11 AM

I'm normally very shy as well. I find having to go for a Pap test and a pelvic exam very upsetting, wish they could give me a great big Ativan the size of a football ahead of time.

I had a hysteroscopy and D & C in October, and I walked into the OR. There were just 2 nurses in there to start. They applied the electrodes and hooked me up to a heart monitor. I think I had to put my legs up into some sort of holders. They put some warm covers on my legs, as well as a warm blanket over my chest. I was all covered up, that much I remember. It actually felt quite nice. The anesthetist came in as well as my doctor. The anesthetist introduced himself and asked if I had had any problems with surgery before. Then everyone seemed to gather around, one of the nurses said, "OK, go to sleep now." And that's all I remember until recovery. I wasn't awake when anything was exposed, so I didn't give it a second thought.
This time around I'm not concerned either. My husband and I were discussing the exposure issue last night, and he actually said something that made me laugh. I wonder if, when I'm in there, I'll remember what he said and start giggling. (Hubby and I have a sense of humor and we find that helps in dealing with a lot of things.)

I think the shaving beforehand is probably going to be the worst thing as far as modesty goes, actually. I'll just have to remind myself that it's just me and one other person and try not to blush my way into the stratosphere. Or maybe I'll be too hungry, thirsty, and into my caffeine-withdrawal headache to worry about it much. I had a fierce headache before the October procedure, which I was 4 hours late getting into because things got held up with a patient ahead of me. The headache was so severe that it basically took over every other thought or concern.
Unread 12-09-2011, 08:35 AM

The shaving thing was kinda funny, actually. It was just me and the nurse and my husband in the room, and before she shaved me, she asked if it was okay for my husband to be sitting there while she did it. I just laughed and said "he's my husband!" But I guess some people are more modest than me, so it's nice to know they're sensitive about that.

Actually, I think it's safe to say that MOST people are more modest than me seeing as how I've been a regular at nude beaches for the last 20 years or so. That said, when I woke up in my granny panties, I thought it was kinda funny that someone (beats me who) had to wrestle my unconscious body into those horrid looking things. How un-sexy that must have been! ha ha!

But it's really zero big deal at all. Like others have said, you won't remember who anyone in there was (except maybe your doctor) and they won't remember you. They put lots of unconscious butts into granny panties on a daily basis!
Unread 12-09-2011, 08:56 AM

I think our hospital uses the lovely mesh undies, but I'll bring some granny panties for the trip home. Actually, I just bought a package and haven't tried them on yet...Multicolored--one pair is even black. <grin>
Unread 12-09-2011, 01:33 PM

I'm modest, and I'm not. Sound strange? Well it is kinda. My husband and medical staff are the only people who have ever seen my parts.

I'm sooo NOT modest with my husband. But with other people I get a bit 'shy'.

It is hard to think about people seeing our bodies while we are sleeping. That is the hardest part I think for me. I'll be asleep and unaware. I like to be in control of my body and who sees/touches it.

That being said, medical staff go through intense training to be able to do their jobs correctly. They train to see the human body as it is, and find ways to make it more healthy.
Yes, they see us as a surgical field, but they also see us as PEOPLE who need their help to be more healthy.

If you saw someone hurting & needing help, you would run to them and try to help them. It wouldn't matter if they were dressed or not, awake or not. You probably wouldn't even register those things. Your task would be to help them. You would do your best.

It helps me to remember this when my 'lady parts' are going to be seen by the medical staff. Yes, they see stuff. But what they see is someone who needs help to stop hurting and being sick.

Hope this helps you ladies that are struggling with the modesty thing. I'm right there with you. It will be ok, and we will be more healthy when they are done.
Unread 12-09-2011, 03:25 PM

I was lucky with my surgery. They waited until I was unconscious before they shaved me, draped me, put my legs in the stirrups, put electrodes on me, etc. They wheeled me into the OR, I talked to my doctor and he held my hand, I scooted my butt onto the OR table, then the nurse put a mask on my face and said just have two deep breaths. I thought it was just oxygen and wasn't worried. I thought I still had a chance to call the whole thing off. The next thing I remember I was in the recovery room asking my nurse what he removed during surgery. I am blissfully unaware of what position they put me in. I have a copy of my OR report and I expected it to say on there but it doesn't.
Unread 12-09-2011, 04:02 PM

No mask for me when I had the hysteroscopy. Just one of the nurses saying, "OK, go to sleep now." And me trying to play this little game to see how long I could stay awake, and of course being completely unable to.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register