Scheduled dVH/RALH Worried about dignity during hysterectomy - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Worried about dignity during hysterectomy Worried about dignity during hysterectomy

Unread 12-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Re: Worried about dignity during hysterectomy

Now that I am thinking about this thread it is kind of strange that we have this 3 hour or so lapse where we don't know what the heck went on.

I go to my doctor's office and have suffered all kinds of indignities and she and her nurse just go about business and chatting with me before and after my exams and about my surgery as if it is just another walk in the park.

I think the there is a detachment and disconnect they do unconsciously that is part of their professionalism.

I don't know if this makes sense!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2011, 09:17 PM

The procedures are routine, they do them every day and as such they become unremarkable. Imagine yourself at your job and having a conversation with a coworker while doing a routine chore - same thing.

The problem we have is that for us, these things are not routine and we obsess over them. Relax.
Unread 12-12-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownsneaker View Post
... - they could hang me by my toes and put flowers in my mouth, and spin me silly - if it gives me my life back, I'm all for it.

Thanks for the giggle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2011, 07:08 PM

I chose not to hear or read the specifics. Try not to think about that part--you honestly won't know the difference when it's all over and you'll never see most of those people again.

Everyone was so kind to me during pre-op that I was able to relax as much as one can while awaiting "relaxation drugs." I was out in minutes after those went into my IV--woke up in recovery and still don't remember a thing.

As for travel--honestly, the day after was rough but by day 2 I was much better and could have handled the trip, although it would not be my first choice. I had a TLH with a relatively easy recovery--I'm not sure what procedure you are having. Remember you will be sitting up vs laying on the couch--big difference. Bring pillows--you may not want a seatbelt around your abdomen and getting in and out of the car will not be a breeze. Hopefully you will sleep the entire drive.

I had minimal pain but the exhaustion lingers--so even if you make the trip you may only want to sleep while you are at your Mom's anyway.

Good luck!!!
Unread 12-12-2011, 07:10 PM

I'm so glad my doctor is a woman and is kind of conservative and uptight herself. I asked her beforehand about being exposed and having everyone in the room seeing me. I've heard some horror stories about being propped up and legs open, and I did not want to be that way. But she told me she didn't want to see me that way either, and that she tapes the gown on me and only opens up what she needs to get to. I had the strawberry marks on my shoulders, arms, and thighs where they removed the tape to prove it. Glad I didn't have feel that being pulled off.

As for the shaving, I had that all waxed before I went to the hospital. Every single bit free and smooth. I absolutely did not want a soap shave down there and have to deal with the rash or itching when the hair grows back.
Unread 12-12-2011, 07:42 PM

First of all HUGGGGGGGGGS! I had one of my surgeries at Christmas , was in the hospital until Christmas eve!! Small world... About being embarrassed , my personal experience has been great. Pre-op everyone seemed very aware that I was a human in a compromising situation and I was always covered up. In fact some nurses went out of their way to keep me toasty warm pre and post op . My first surgery was at at 17 and I was scared and extremely modest and of course worried but once they gave me demerol well I didn't give a rats booty what anyone did to me lol...

I think you will find that you will be treated with great respect. One thing I kept in my head when I was worried was " They are professionals and see this everyday".. but again my experiences have been great in that area. I never felt violated before or after...

hope this helps? Sometimes I feel like I am just rambling .. I will be praying for you.
Unread 12-12-2011, 07:46 PM

I can totally relate and actually brought the modesty thing up to the dr. She told me you were totally draped, and only she and ONE surgical tech would see me. There were others in the room but they stayed at my head. So that helped a bit. And I really didn't care after that. I went to sleep and remember nothing. And a year later, I don't even think about it, I feel so much better afterwards, that even that exposure is worth it. And having never had children, I am extremely modest, even sometimes with my husband (I know, weird, right?). So please believe me, it's worth it.

I drove for 17 hours about 2 weeks after my surgery. I would be very careful about traveling very far after your surgery. I was in the hospital overnight. Make sure you take your meds the way you are supposed to so that you don't get in overwhelming pain for Christmas. Good luck!
Unread 12-12-2011, 08:07 PM

You shouldn't have to worry about your dignity. If the staff at hospital make you feel uncomfortable, go to somebody else. If you can have a baby, you can manage this. The way I think of it, a vaginal hysterectomy takes less recovery time, so I was all for it. I really didn't think about the dignity issues at all. You have every right to bring it up, ask questions, etc. You have every right to have your needs met. And if the staff can't do that for you, they don't need to be working there. We are your friends here, ask us anything.
Unread 12-12-2011, 08:41 PM

I had my DVH on 11-23, pre-op everyone was great. It was the orderlie that looked about 20 that I saw in the OR that made me uncomfortable. As far as the gown and pants they put me in, the RN that was in the OR untied my gown right before going in and once I moved to the other bed I untied my pants and, without taking my blanket off, he pulled my pants off. I do wonder if it was the male RN that put the catheter in me, if so that's weird to me! But other than that, I've seen the Dr who did the surgery for 10 years and he did my tubal (Dec-09) and my laparoscopy (8-26-11) so I had no worry about him seeing any of me. He also delivered both of my children. I don't know of any of this helps, but just thought I'd share my experience. good luck! xoxo
Unread 12-12-2011, 08:58 PM

I had my sah today. I was actually still awake as they draped the surgical area. Everything was covered. They will respect your dignity. Good luck. Mne went very smoothly, already up and functioning well. Minimal discomfort so far.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register