Scheduled dVH/RALH Worried about dignity during hysterectomy - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Worried about dignity during hysterectomy Worried about dignity during hysterectomy

Unread 12-14-2011, 10:18 PM
Re: Worried about dignity during hysterectomy

As ou fellow hyster sisters have stated, you are draped and they don't see anything they aren't supposed to. No one is more aware of what they look like than me.............and I wasn't too concerned. I figure there has to be someone worse off than me. As for how you will be feeling post op, I had excellent pain control, and was never in any major discomfort. As for plans for Christmas, I wouldn't count on too much. You will have just had major surgery! I felt worse when I came home than I did in the hospital. I had 2 night in hospital, as my case was the last one of the day, and also, I didn't come out of anesthesia well. Please, keep in touch with us hsere............we care about how you do. I care about each of my "Hyster sisters."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2011, 10:58 PM

please take it easy after your surgery. you are going to be very tired and will have pain. PLease think of yourself first. do not take any chances. if you are worried about the position on the operating room table, discuss this with your surgeon. Best of Luck , we are all pulling for YOU!!!

Cassiesheltie, I had a total abd. hyster and left ovary was removed pon 9/14/11
Unread 12-14-2011, 11:12 PM

I had my LAVH done yesterday and I was given drugs before I even hit the operating room. My last memory was kissing my husband good bye and my first memory was my husband asking how I felt. I did ask the nurse who changed me because they had removed this awesome gown that had warm air blowing into it and I woke up wearing a normal gown. She said that she and the other female nurse changed me after the male DR completed the surgery and no unnecessary body parts were shown. I completely felt like they preserved my dignity and treated my body with respect while I was out of it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2011, 11:23 PM

The nurses and doctors in the hospital where I was were total professionals. The nurse who checked me in - asked questions, started my drip, etc. had her hysterectomy done by my doctor and was very supportive. Very nice, and agree about the warm blanket, compression socks things, count backward, boom - OUT!

IF there's a place that was horrible about personal privacy and made to feel like an intrusion was going through several rounds of IVF. Talk about being a number and not respecting you as a person AT ALL was there. Seriously, you could be a cow for all they cared.

I had been in the hospital for several days and had had a sonogram and D&C by the time my hysterectomy happened so I was already pretty loose with my "personal" space. Thankfully, I had my own room for the week.

The nurses had me sitting up the day after my surgery and I couldn't stay in bed when I got home - sitting on the sofa and easy chair were my accomplishments for the first few days. However, with a lot of people around and excitement, have a safe place to be by yourself. People might be asking you questions you're not really ready to answer or just feel overwhelmed. I had a few crying bouts out of nowhere (it is an emotional surgery even if you're prepared for it), and having a retreat is key. I wasn't really ready to see anyone much the first week, and you're still slightly disoriented from the anesthesia.

Happy Holidays to All!
Unread 12-15-2011, 09:21 AM

I had TAH two weeks ago. I was terrified of embarrassment and of knowing someone there. To make it worse, the day before surgery I went for preop blood, etc. Right as the nurse asks me to describe my surgery, in walks a student nurse who was a student of mine two years ago. I am a high school teacher. I had to ask her to leave bc I feared my info on Facebook. Anyway at surgery next day I was having the top area shaved where bikini incision is and people kept coming in to the point that I freaked out. This expressed my embarassment and everyone was very discreet. I was given meds that caused me to have no memories of the OR. I trust my doc of 12 years and he knows I am a teacher. He made sure there were no observers or anyone not paid to do a job. Just tell the doc and staff, and they are bound to respect your wishes.
Unread 12-15-2011, 11:04 AM

@tennessee70:

Reading your post reminded me of when my son was born. I worked at that hospital, so all the staff there knew me. When I was in the delivery room, I was constantly ordering people to close the door when people came in and out. (Expensive delivery--4 doctors and only one nurse, LOL!) The hallway wasn't in a public area and it was evening by then, but I was still concerned about being exposed to anyone walking by.
Unread 12-15-2011, 11:51 AM

I work at the hospital where I had my hysterectomy. Even though it was in a different area of the hospital I was worried about my privacy. I woke up one morning to find someone from my department in my room, attending to another patient. I quickly closed the curtain so he wouldn't see me in my little hospital gown. I also didn't want anyone at work to know what kind of surgery I had.
Unread 12-15-2011, 07:01 PM

Yes, your head is lowered but you are strapped in. And everything is covered except for the surgical field. Your eyes may be a bit puffy right after surgery but that's normal. Nothing to worry about. You will sleep through all of it. I too have given some thought to the modesty part of this adventure since I am a nurse and work with all the staff in the OR and surgical area. It is an odd feeling and I will see these people again. I just keep reminding myself that we all have the same parts. And it's really ok. Some of my co-workes have said they wouldn't have this kind of surgery in our hospital for that reason, but I feel most comfortable around my friends who I know will take excellent care of me. Don't worry...you will be treated with dignity and respect, you will be covered and best of all, you won't likely see them ever again!
Unread 12-17-2011, 11:46 PM

I too am worried about my diginity, but I'm trying to reason it out...he's been my dr for 90% of my menstrual life, I just turned 28 this last week. He's helped me thru childbirth, miscarriages, multitude of surgeries for my issues...theres pretty much nothing he hasnt seen of mine already. Its kinda helping... the nurses I all know from previous surgeries. Not saying once I'm on the table I wont have an anxiety attack. (Im a fluffy girl too) hugs to you.
Unread 12-18-2011, 11:12 AM

Your dignity is only compromised when the people performing the seeming undignified act take pleasure in your loss of dignity. Clearly, the doctors, nurses and all the care givers have your comfort and well being in mind. Please take comfort in this. You will undoubtedly have the opportunity to comment on your care both pre and post op. Take this time to make your comments known as these comments are used educate all care givers so that every patient is treated with continual respect. Also, remember that we don't often put ourselves in the postion of having to be exposed, but when we do, we do it in the presence of professionals. It really is OK. Take care and happy healing to all sisters.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register