Day surgery for LAVH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Day surgery for LAVH? Day surgery for LAVH?

Unread 12-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Day surgery for LAVH?

The literature my dr sent me home with three weeks ago said to expect to stay in the hospital for 1-3 days after LAVH.

On Monday, his surgical administrator said I was in an "observational" slot and could expect to stay up to 23 hours.

Today, in my pre-op phone call with the hospital, they said I'd be home the same day as the surgery!

What do you ladies think? Should I ask to spend the night, or just go home if I'm feeling pretty good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Re: Day surgery for LAVH?

Oh I would spend the night and then go home the next day. I had the same sugery, they need to monitor you and get your pain under control.
This way you won't have complications, it's a major surgery!!!
Unread 12-08-2011, 06:33 PM

I was the opposite. Out of surgery at 11 and home by 4. They did want to make sure I was able to go to the bathroom myself after removing cath which I was. They also made me get up and do a few slow laps around hospital floor before I was discharged. If there were any problem I would have had to stay. They did send me home with 2 days worth of pain pill. However everyone is different and even if they plan to discharge you within 23 hours...of there is a reason to keep u they will. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2011, 07:44 PM

The way the hospital talked pre-op I thought I was going home the same day, but when I asked the dr. He said he likes to keep his patients overnight since it is a major surgery. I would check with your dr. Good luck and happy healing.
Unread 12-09-2011, 05:47 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm a little worried that if I feel I'd like to stay the night, I'll have trouble, because I'm going into an ambulatory care section of the hospital. What if I'm not "ambulatory"--do they move me, or just keep me there. (I was in there for DH's colonoscopy--it looks pretty vacant at 4pm.)
Unread 12-09-2011, 05:52 PM

I'm thinking that "observation" and "same day" are the same. That is how it is at my hospital. I work at the same hospital that I'm having my surgery at. They admit you for "23 hour observation". You end up staying a night, but you aren't an official "inpatient" admission. Does that make sense? You're there long enough to be watched for complications and have your pain controlled, but you aren't in for a long stay.
Unread 12-09-2011, 05:57 PM

Survivor1977....do you get to stay in a regular room...or somplace else...i too get to have 23hr observation..so im curious
Unread 12-09-2011, 05:57 PM

Thanks! I was worried when the pre-op nurse said "oh, you'll be home in time for supper". Not that home will be tough, my DH will do a great job of making me comfortable, I'm sure. It just seems that if they're removing parts, they'd keep you overnight.
Unread 12-10-2011, 10:53 AM

I had the "23 hour" admit as well. Honestly though I am thankful my doc insists on overnights for his patients. They packed me with a "vaginal pack" overnight and I had a nurse practically to myself while in the hospital. Instead of going back to day surgery unit after recovery room I went straight up to hospital room where I finally became aware. I have zero memory of the recovery room.
Unread 12-10-2011, 11:31 AM

Molly....what is a 'vaginal pack"???

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register