Nursing My Baby Post -Op NEED TIPS! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nursing My Baby Post -Op  NEED TIPS! Nursing My Baby Post -Op NEED TIPS!

Unread 12-25-2001, 09:11 PM
Nursing My Baby Post -Op NEED TIPS!

Hi Everyone:

I am a newbie here, with my surgery scheduled January 3, 2002. I've already gotten great information from this website, but still need input about a major concern - nursing little Nathan (age 5 months), who is still exclusively breast fed and not yet on solids. I've pumped enough breast milk for my hospital stay (and a few days extra for emergency) and have a high grade breast pump for hospital use.

Honestly, I am frightened of a squirmy nursing baby on my tender post-op tummy. What to do? Pillows-a-rama? I do have DH to bring baby to me in the glider.

It's very important to keep breastfeeding him. Cancer has taken away so much already and I do not want to lose this.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

KMD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-25-2001, 11:12 PM

Well... I don't know nothin' 'bout babies, but...

I have an 18 pound cat who likes to walk across my belly in the middle of the night. The effect is probably similar. What I did was to make up a "pillow" by folding a couple of heavy towels into a flat pillow shape, and putting them into a pillowcase. I slept with that across my belly, and felt nicely protected from cats, and stray flailing arms, too. You could even "reinforce" that design by folding a heavy sheet of cardboard into the towels.

You'll actually be facing two challenges - first, there's getting kicked, headbutted, etc., which is what the towel-pillow is for. But also you may find it very hard to hold onto a squirming kid - you'll be surprised how much ab muscle that takes to compensate for the squirming. Of course, I'm extrapolating from my experience with my cats again... I was OK with just picking them up and carrying them (like a sack of flour), but if one squirmed to get down, just hanging on and getting him re-oriented was painful. So do keep your DH handy until you know you're alright with the process.

I think there is a woman around here recently who is also nursing a baby post-op. Sorry, I can't remember her name. I hope she will see your message and reply.
Unread 12-25-2001, 11:36 PM
Nursing Baby

I think your best advice here would come from c-section moms. If you don't know any personally, I have a sister-in-law that had 4 c-sections and nursed all 4 babies. Let me know and I'll have her sign on and give you her words of wisdom.

I think it's wonderful that you are going to continue nursing. All my best to you and your wonderful family.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2001, 02:12 AM
Nursing Baby?

Dear Diamond Girl,
My tummy is sore, too, but I think armed with pillows and blankets you should be fine. I would try to have hubbie/friend nearby, if possible, in the event of an "emergency". My doc said the lifting (if done properly with legs) was not as crucial as the "torqueing" or the turning motion made while vacuuming!
Best of Luck to you, Diamond Girl...there's nothing sweeter than nursing your baby
Thoughts and Prayers are with you!
Clair
Unread 12-26-2001, 05:15 AM

Kristin. Here's a link with some nursing tips.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...t=nursing+baby
Unread 12-26-2001, 06:09 AM
How about....

I always found it comfortable to lie in bed on my side with the baby next to me. Granted, my kids got used to this early early on (I went back to work when they were four weeks old and didn't want to give up nursing but those night feedings were killers). Pillows will be a necessity for "normal" positions for a while, I guess it all depends on how "squirmy" Nathan is, plus how much he weighs at this point.

I forget how long they say anesthesia stays in your system, be sure to ask your doc about possible drowsiness in Nathan. Breastfeeding could be a positive influence on your recovery, it certainly helped me relax on my "bad hair" days.

Good luck
Unread 12-26-2001, 06:10 AM

Dot... I really appreciate that link. I left that sister high and dry obviously by not seeing that thread again after I posted on it. Looks like she just had her surgery so maybe my post can still help? I hope so... *sigh*

Hi KMD,
I hope that you did follow that link to read what was said by other nursing moms that have had hysterectomies. Lots of great advice there concerning younger (and older) babies still nursing after the hysterectomy. It also has information about pumping and dumping PLEASE READ it and talk to your dr about it?

But basically to answer your question- yes, pillows o rama or a boppy pillow if you have one or can get one. 5/6mo old is squirmy but my daughter was 13mo old doing complete acrobatic maneuvers when she nursed and I couldn't have done it without the boppy pillow (not to mention she was also PROBABLY heavier than your baby... although not sure about that since she weighed about 19/20lbs which is on the light side and my older two were over that around 6mo old. LOL So depends on how heavy your child is.. might be just as heavy as my 13mo old was?)

I'm here if you have any other questions. I'll try to keep up with this thread but just in case- if you post and I don't respond- please email me at the email addy below or send me a private message through hystersisters! I'd be glad to help!

I noticed your sig line says radical hysterectomy- does that mean you are having your ovaries removed also? I'm thinking not... that it means you are keeping your ovaries like I did. If not, please talk to your dr because I do not think you can keep up the breastfeeding relationship for long without the hormones your ovaries produce... unless they have hormone replacement that will help you keep the hormones going necessary to continue with your milk supply. I'm sure this is isn't the case but JUST wanted to mention it JUST in case... since I'm not sure if you are keeping your ovaries or not.

Good for you for continuing with breastfeeding even after having this surgery. I totally understand not wanting to lose that relationship and just to let you know it CAN be done (keeping the bf relationship going)- my daughter was 13mo old when I had the surgery in July... and she's still nursing strong at 18mo. No signs of weaning yet! LOL Good luck in your endeavor to keep nursing your baby too- but I'm sure you'll be fine and won't need that good luck wishes.
Unread 12-26-2001, 04:14 PM

You can also try the football hold. Little Nathan is maybe a little big for that, but I was able to use that position for one of my children for about 6 months. If you sit on a couch or oversized chair, then Nathan can sit beside you (facing you--he might need a pillow or 2 to sit/recline on). Then he just nurses on the same side breast and his body weight is not on your belly. You'll still want a pillow across your belly. The only potential problem here is that if you haven't been using this position he might not be willing to change (babies get stuck in their ways too). Try practicing now so he will be used to it before your surgery. Good luck!
Unread 12-26-2001, 04:16 PM

Diamond Girl,

I admire your decison to continue breast feeding your son. I breast feed both of mine and those were wonderful times for me, it was something that no one else could replace. I had a few problems breast feeding my oldest son and my mom had me hold him like a "football" - his head in my hand at my breast and his body along my arm toward my back. Try this with him now so both of you get used to it before the surgery. An other benifit is that his feet are behind you in case he kicks, and no wieght on you tummy. You can support your arm and him with pillows at your side. Good luck, I hope this will help.

K
Unread 12-26-2001, 04:24 PM
I agree about asking C Section moms

I would try going to somewhere like parentsplace.com and looking for a c section message board. I bet you'll get lots of tips there.

Bless your heart for having to do this with a 5 month old to take care of. I hope you have someone to help you out with lifting him and such!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register