For those with one ovary | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

For those with one ovary For those with one ovary

Unread 12-08-2011, 05:34 PM
For those with one ovary

I am 6 weeks post surgery for removal of an endometrioma where sadly there was no saving my left ovary. I'm beginning to feel the effects of this surgery as I feel sad and become very weepy at times. I also had a partial hysterectomy a year ago and up and until this endometrioma showed, I was doing great.

I'd love to hear your stories if you have one ovary. How are you feeling? Did you not notice a change? Did you need hormones or did your body balance itself out? Did you add certain suplements? How long did it take your body to adjust?

Thanks so much my sisters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Re: For those with one ovary

I initially left both my ovaries but they quit within 3 months of my hysterectomy. In the next 9 years they became cystic, and were engulfed by endometriosis (WITHOUT THE USE OF HRT). My estrogen levels tanked and I wish I'd taken the dr seriously when he urged me to use estrogen replacement. I didn't think it necessary. 9 years later I had the ovaries out and started HRT.

My advice to you is to ask your dr to test your estrogen levels at least yearly. That way if your E level drops, you can address it immediately and not risk losing bone density or other side effects of low E.

I also use progesterone, and have since the 1st day of HRT. My dr would not allow me to use estrogen without it because of the endo. And my endo was flourishing with estrogen levels that were post-menopausal. Hopefully your dr is well educated in keeping the endo in check along with HRT options.

I just took a multivitamin. Now that I'm on HRT, I feel better than I did after the hyster while having non-functioning ovaries.
Unread 12-11-2011, 09:17 AM

Hi
I had my left ovary removed and TVH. I am in week five of my recovery and feel very down, tearful and even depressed for no apparent reason. If I'm not feeling sad I'm feeling angry and frustrated but I'm not sure why. The thought of going back to work or doing anything is overwhelming and makes me very anxious.

I thought that keeping one ovary meant you wouldn't experience any hormone or menopause issues but after reading your post I'm starting to wonder if my feelings could be down to the right ovary being removed and a hormone problem.

x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2011, 09:46 PM

Calypso - Thanks for the info. I had no idea that estrogen causes endo to flourish!

Hwaller - I have good days and not so good days and began taking a B Complex vitamin to help boost my energy level as I feel like I'm dragging and hoping it helps lift my mood as well. Granted I am only 7 weeks post surgery, so lack of energy is to be expected I think. I'm just praying that my body is trying to find its own happy medium and that this is temporary!!! I've begun to cut out sugar and do some sort of exercise each day from walking to lifting light weights while watching TV.

Best of luck to you
Unread 12-11-2011, 11:46 PM

Hi Sunny Daze
Thank you for your reply. I have decided to make a dr app to talk to him, if nothing else.
I'm sorry to hear you have bad days. You sound very positive and I'm sure your body will sort itself out. After reading your reply, I too have decided to take a multivitamin and go for a daily walk, in the hope this may help. Will keep you posted.
Do you work? If so, when do you have to return? I'm scared to return to work feeling like such an emotional/hormonal reck

Big hugs to you and keep me posted. x
Unread 01-06-2012, 01:20 PM

Thanks for these posts. I'm still trying to figure out if my remaining ovary is shutting down & if I need to start thinking about menopause. I'm sleeping pretty fitfully, waking up 4 to 5 times per night (at least). Usually what wakes me up is the sensation that my arms & legs are feverishly hot, though that sensation passes after a minute or two. I am assuming this is a hot flash? I have a few additional joint pains, but really its not horrible yet, save the lack of sleep.

So is this it?

or I guess, more to the point, if it isn't menopause, is there any harm in taking the over-the-counter menopause vitamin supplements to see if that helps? I really don't feel like going back to the doc until my annual, and so far its fairly tolerable.
Unread 01-06-2012, 01:50 PM

Hi Ladies.

I was also wondering whether you could take a menopause vitamin if you only have one ovary. I'm like you not sure if I'm my one ovary is actually shutting down.

I know I'm not having hot flushes but I wake up a lot during the night. My legs get a funny feeling but it soon goes. I am also very irritable and feeling anxious and on the edge or I cry very easily. I'm eight weeks post op so not sure how long the ovary needs to sort its self out!

any ideas anyone?
H x
Unread 01-06-2012, 01:58 PM

Hi Sunny Daze

Thank you for your private message you sent me.
I don't know how you reply privately. Doh.
How are you and how are you progressing? I have gone back to work now. It has gone better than I thought.
Anyway, I hope you are doing well.
H x
Unread 01-07-2012, 08:34 AM

Im so glad you posted this. I had a partial hyst last march kept both ovaries. Kept getting cysts on left ovary and it became twisted so it was removed three weeks ago. Since then my left his and ankle are stiff and I keep having flushes day and night particularly when in a warm room seems to make it worse. Having my oestrogen tested to see what is going on. Feel pretty rubbish.
Unread 01-07-2012, 11:49 AM

Hi Ladies,

I had a TAH on 12/12. Was able to keep my right ovary. The left was removed six years ago due to endometria.

Recovery has gone very well physically and I was beginning to wonder if I was going to skate through the emotional part as well. No such luck! This past Wednesday I woke with a pretty bad headache and began to feel emotional. Friday I felt like I'd turned into Dragon Woman, it was horrible. This morning I have a headache and feel a bit weepy, but not nearly as bad as yesterday. It was a horrible week.

Looking at the calendar I realized that it would have been my PMS/tired week and that I'd start my period sometime this weekend or Monday.

I hope this isn't how it's going to be every month - I have no pain and cramps which is great but I don't want horrific PMS every month, either. :-(

I talked with a friend of mine who had her hysterectomy last February. She also kept an ovary. She told me it took about 5-6 months for things to level out for her but now she feels great and it was the best thing she ever did. I'm going to keep my eye on the prize and try to push through these times.

Hang in there.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register