Traveling after surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Traveling after surgery Traveling after surgery

Unread 12-08-2011, 09:30 PM
Traveling after surgery

My surgery is scheduled for December 16th. I have to stay overnight at the hospital for a day or two. I was just wondering if it would be really uncomfortable to travel about an hour away on Christmas? My father in law always expects us to come to him on Christmas and I told my husband that I just don't think I am going to want to be out visiting that soon after surgery. I love my family and I want to see them all but I just don't know how much running around I can really handle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Re: Traveling after surgery

Wait until after your surgery to make the decision. An hour away is not that bad- two weeks following my surgery I drove 17 hours to my grandmothers- and visited for two days - then turned around and drove home - 17 hours. No pain - no problems.

But - I felt good before too - I had a very easy surgery - and very easy recovery. Not everyone has this experience. However, if the whole visit is stressful - you won't need any additional stress.

Just depends - everyone and every surgery is different. There is a lot to consider. - Plus your doctor may have a strong opinion too.
Unread 12-08-2011, 11:48 PM

I think everyone body is different.But you will know after surgery and depend what they do.Because I wasnt feeling myself until 4 weeks.Physically and emotionally.The surgery takes alot of you and you get tired very easy.And I also had a davinci surgery.But it all depends on what you get done like I said.Good luck on your surgery and hope it all goes well.
~Heal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2011, 11:48 PM

I had an SAH and wasn't able to sit very long. If it sounds like fun and you feel up to it, plan to go but also plan some accomodations. If you go, I would make sure that you have a bed or couch in a quiet area that you can lie down on. If you're not feeling great, you might need a place to retreat to for a rest. The other thing I learned the hard way is that make sure you can stretch your legs out or lie down during the trip. Sitting with your legs bent for any period of time if tough. The same is true for sitting in a chair at the dinner table - you may need a little back pillow so that you can keep your legs out. If you identify your needs and set expectations up front, it may be easier. Best wishes whichever decision you make!
Unread 12-09-2011, 12:09 AM

My first trip out was nine days after my surgery. I went to a party. It was fun but as soon as I got home I took my pain meds and just crashed. I was very tired and sore. See how you feel, and your fatherinlaw will have to understand.
Unread 12-09-2011, 06:49 AM

My surgery is also on the 16th. We live an hour and a half's drive from the hospital. My Mom is hosting Christmas at her place and that's an hour from our house. We'll be attending. It's going to be a small gathering, and my Mom is a retired nurse. She knows what to expect or not expect from me, so I think it will be fine. There are lots of comfy chairs and a couple of spare beds, too.

If you feel up to the visit and you do decide to attend, just make sure people understand that you're not going to be assisting in preparing, serving, or cleaning up and you might tire easily and early. This year, you just sit and visit.

Take care!
Unread 12-09-2011, 08:40 AM

As prior posters noted, everyone is different and every surgery and healing time is different too. I was scheduled for LSH but ended up having emergency abdominal due to nicking of my bladder. I was in the hospital a couple of nights too. After getting home I didn't want to go anywhere but maybe the couch or a chair with my legs propped up for several days. I did my first car ride on day 9 to see the doctor (20 min each way - total 1.25 hours away from home) and I was exhausted!! next car ride was at day 12 and again short drive (to the grocery store and followed DH around store while he shopped)...again..exhausted after that...only about an hour. I was taking naps every day till mid week 3 and going to bed early.

all that to say....my suggestion is to tell them that while you really want to be there, you are having major surgery and until you get a little closer to Christmas you won't know how you will feel about traveling ANY distance. Also, you didn't mention (or I didn't catch) how long you would be planning to stay there.... I know I didn't have the mental or physical capacity to be with others for long periods of time so you may want to take that into consideration too.

Hoping that you are one of the ones that 'feels great' really soon after surgery and can do it, but also want to be sure you don't overextend yourself because you think it is 'expected'.

hugs!!
Unread 12-09-2011, 09:28 AM

I like your advice, Auntieauntie.

I'm feeling quite protective of my own body these days. I don't want to be whiny and seem like I'm "milking this", but I just want everyone, myself included, to be realistic as well as considerate. If we do anything we shouldn't be doing post op and jeopardize the healing process, we are the only ones who have to live with the consequences, not anyone else.

My husband is terrific, so I have no worries there, and by the time I have to hit the really big gathering with his family on New Year's Day, I'll hopefully be in decent shape. But if not, I'm not going to push myself, nor will I let anyone else push me around either. I don't think that will be an issue, though. A few have them have been down this road, too, and they totally get it.

Be kind to yourself, Lulusargent. <hugs>
Unread 12-09-2011, 09:42 AM

My surgery is also on the 16th. I am assuming with a/p repairs I won't be too comfortable sitting. Hubby and I are empty nesters with our 26/23 year old daughters (single) visiting here for 10 days over the holidays. We are just planning a pajama Christmas here at home. Our parents are both within 15km so we will surely see them. If I have a cath I will not be leaving my house.
Unread 12-09-2011, 09:52 AM

Hey there, Sherbert_61, we're empty nesters, too, also in Canada. One son coming home, but not for very long, maybe a day or 2 at the most. Things are going to be quiet here.

The get together at my parents' place will be small, since I'm an only child myself. So I'm quite determined to go. (Never thought of a catheter...I'm having repairs done as well for prolapse. They wouldn't send us home with a catheter, would they?) Husband's family gathering will be a large and noisy affair and we'll be 2 nights at a hotel, but that's another week away.

In a way, this is a rough time of year to have this done, especially because we're the ones who tend to do the most at Christmas time. But it's only this one time and then things get better from here.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register