Traveling after surgery - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Traveling after surgery Traveling after surgery

Unread 12-09-2011, 09:59 AM
Re: Traveling after surgery

Actually, I'm finding it harder to try to set aside a block of quiet time BEFORE the surgery. I want next Wednesday to clean the house one last time pre-op, and I am totally insisting on leaving Thursday clear for a quiet 'do whatever I darned well please' day at home. But life and other people who need to schedule stuff just keep gettin' in the way I guess the world doesn't stop for this, eh? I am trying very hard to stay rested, healthy, and free of colds and flu's, since I was told to stop taking all supplements 1 week pre-op. I'm not sleeping well anymore, though, and my tummy is now acting up (which it tends to do when I'm stressed...but hey, the bowel will sure be empty on D-day if this keeps up! Having my own, emotion-caused bowel prep...well in advance, LOL!)

I was trying to get the 'frantic' activity over with this week and keep next week calmer, and I think that's important, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnPrairie View Post
Hey there, Sherbert_61, we're empty nesters, too, also in Canada. One son coming home, but not for very long, maybe a day or 2 at the most. Things are going to be quiet here.

The get together at my parents' place will be small, since I'm an only child myself. So I'm quite determined to go. (Never thought of a catheter...I'm having repairs done as well for prolapse. They wouldn't send us home with a catheter, would they?) Husband's family gathering will be a large and noisy affair and we'll be 2 nights at a hotel, but that's another week away.

In a way, this is a rough time of year to have this done, especially because we're the ones who tend to do the most at Christmas time. But it's only this one time and then things get better from here.
Apparently it's common to have a catheter after a posterior repair. I am hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. I was scheduled for the 7th but got cancelled in the 11th hour so I am very ready here at home. Tons of food cooked and gifts are wrapped. I am just twiddling my thumbs for the week now.... HOPING to not get cancelled again BUT such is healthcare in Ontario.
Unread 12-09-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnPrairie View Post
Actually, I'm finding it harder to try to set aside a block of quiet time BEFORE the surgery. I want next Wednesday to clean the house one last time pre-op, and I am totally insisting on leaving Thursday clear for a quiet 'do whatever I darned well please' day at home. But life and other people who need to schedule stuff just keep gettin' in the way I guess the world doesn't stop for this, eh? I am trying very hard to stay rested, healthy, and free of colds and flu's, since I was told to stop taking all supplements 1 week pre-op. I'm not sleeping well anymore, though, and my tummy is now acting up (which it tends to do when I'm stressed...but hey, the bowel will sure be empty on D-day if this keeps up! Having my own, emotion-caused bowel prep...well in advance, LOL!)

I was trying to get the 'frantic' activity over with this week and keep next week calmer, and I think that's important, too.
What "supplements" were you told to stop 1 week prior? My pre-op sheet said "stop all herbal" I still planned to take my multivitamin and extra vitamin C - now I am wondering?? I am also very scared of getting cold/flu that could mess with my surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherbert_61 View Post
Apparently it's common to have a catheter after a posterior repair. I am hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. I was scheduled for the 7th but got cancelled in the 11th hour so I am very ready here at home. Tons of food cooked and gifts are wrapped. I am just twiddling my thumbs for the week now.... HOPING to not get cancelled again BUT such is healthcare in Ontario.
Wow, that has got to be hard on the nerves, getting cancelled last minute like that. I'm so sorry that happened to you. And yes, hopefully that doesn't happen again.

If my date on the 16th gets changed, I'll be waiting until next February because we've got plans to head south in January. I would sooner have it over with and be recuperating over winter, though, when there's no yard work and gardening and spring cleaning to do.

It was enough of a roller coaster first being told, mid November, that it would happen "in 2 or 3 weeks", then being told not until 2012, then 4 days later being given an OR date in December when I had stopped expecting that, and right at the outer limit of what I had set as a deadline, too. Because we're leaving for our road trip at the end of the first week in January, I had decided I wouldn't go for this surgery any later than mid December, so the 16th is pushing it. But now that I've decided to go ahead, it would be hard to suddenly have to slam on the brakes and wait for another 2 months.
Unread 12-09-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
What "supplements" were you told to stop 1 week prior? My pre-op sheet said "stop all herbal" I still planned to take my multivitamin and extra vitamin C - now I am wondering?? I am also very scared of getting cold/flu that could mess with my surgery.
The nurse I had the pre-op appointment with said to "stop all supplements", and she knew I was taking a multivitamin, an extra vitamin D, and I was taking 2,000 mg of Vitamin C a day. I had been taking Aleve, but I stopped that as soon as I got the OR date from the hospital because I knew they would tell me to anyway (they did last time with the hysteroscopy in October). I had also stopped the glucosamine for the same reason, so by the time of my pre-op clinic I was just on the vitamins. I told the nurse about the glucosamine and the Aleve, and even that I had taken St. John's Wort for 3 weeks from the last week in October to mid November as well.

If you're not sure, contact your doctor's office or the pre-op clinic. Every doctor is different.
Unread 12-09-2011, 10:26 AM

If the 16th gets cancelled again then I am looking at March. My surgeon is booked up until her mat leave. They gave her the c-section time slot on the 16th so we could potentially lose that spot.

I have time to recover over the winter that is why we chose early December. Spring will be much harder. We had hoped to travel in February of next year. I don't know how much travelling we will do if I am still pre-op. These 3 prolapses are fairly miserable for extended walking....
Unread 12-09-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
If the 16th gets cancelled again then I am looking at March. My surgeon is booked up until her mat leave. They gave her the c-section time slot on the 16th so we could potentially lose that spot.

I have time to recover over the winter that is why we chose early December. Spring will be much harder. We had hoped to travel in February of next year. I don't know how much travelling we will do if I am still pre-op. These 3 prolapses are fairly miserable for extended walking....
I hope things go smoothly for you and you can get this out of the way next week.
Unread 12-09-2011, 10:29 AM

I would hate to give up my vitamin c. I am also taking 2000 mg a day. It is good to do that 2 weeks pre and 4 weeks post. I asked at my preop and the nurse said it was fine. I even specifically asked about the vitamin e in my multi (can cause bleeding) and she did not seem concerned...

I mean, seriously what do they do with emergency surgery?? Those people have possibly just eaten etc?
Unread 12-09-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I would hate to give up my vitamin c. I am also taking 2000 mg a day. It is good to do that 2 weeks pre and 4 weeks post. I asked at my preop and the nurse said it was fine. I even specifically asked about the vitamin e in my multi (can cause bleeding) and she did not seem concerned...

I mean, seriously what do they do with emergency surgery?? Those people have possibly just eaten etc?
Yes, I wonder about emergencies, too.

Oh well, we'll follow the rules and get 'er done, eh?
Unread 12-09-2011, 11:48 AM

At my preop they told me to stop taking aspirin, ibuprofin, aleve, and melatonin for the final week before surgery. I asked about iron and the vit c I take with it. They said that's fine because they don't want me more anemic. I can also take tylenol for pain.

Since I don't have bowel prep they suggested stool softeners, high fiber and eating light the last couple days. Also extra fluids the day before. Then fasting from midnight.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register