Concerned about bleeding after hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Concerned about bleeding after hysterectomy Concerned about bleeding after hysterectomy

Unread 12-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Concerned about bleeding after hysterectomy

Hi all,

I had a scan recently and the doctor confirmed it to be fibroids/adenomyosis after ultrasound is done.

My problem is more of the extremely heavy bleeding rather than pain. I'm scheduled to have a hysterectomy, keeping my cervix and uterus.

I would like to know how helpful is hysterectomy in stopping the bleeding. I read that some still have bleeding after the op. I'm really concerned.

ANy advise is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2011, 12:05 AM
Re: Concerned about bleeding after hysterectomy

I had a complete hysterectomy last December 7th, for fibroids. I have not had any bleeding. In fact, after the surgery, I only wore a pad for a day, a liner for a few days, and I've been fine since.
Unread 12-09-2011, 07:21 AM

Hi SLWoman,

Can I ask, before your hysterectomy, did you have heavy bleeding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2011, 08:37 AM

Hi Cherrycola,
After the hysterectomy you will most likely have some "surgical bleeding", some women don't experience any at all and some have a day or two, some have several weeks. After you're all healed, you will no longer have any bleeding as you wont have a uterus to shed it's lining once a month. However, if your doctor does not remove the cervix (the "neck" of the uterus) you may have "mini" periods once a month which is generally really light bleeding.
You should speak with your doctor and find out what type of surgery you are having and if the cervix will be removed or not.
The bottom line is, if you're having really heavy bleeding, you will not experience the same thing once you've had your hysterectomy. I too had really heavy bleeding, so not worrying about pads, what clothes I am wearing, etc will be so thrilling to me once I get back to work

This site has lots and lots of really helpful and informative women on it, I hope you find it as helpful as I have!
Unread 12-09-2011, 06:48 PM

Prior to my surgery, I had some very heavy bleeding..... for 6 plus weeks.... after my surgery, I had to use two pads..... and have been wearing white pants ever since!
Unread 12-09-2011, 07:05 PM

I see he is leaving your uterus.... I had adnemyosis... my Dr took everything.... have had some spotting but that was due to granule tissue.... taken care of with silver nitrate.... seems to be stopped now, I am about 51/2 weeks out... TVH
Unread 12-09-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycola View Post
Hi all,

I had a scan recently and the doctor confirmed it to be fibroids/adenomyosis after ultrasound is done.

My problem is more of the extremely heavy bleeding rather than pain. I'm scheduled to have a hysterectomy, keeping my cervix and uterus.

I would like to know how helpful is hysterectomy in stopping the bleeding. I read that some still have bleeding after the op. I'm really concerned.

ANy advise is appreciated.
I'm confused... Keeping you cervix and uterus? If you're keeping your uterus, it's not a hysterectomy. and I'm concerned that your doctor diagnosed you adenomyosis after an ultrasound. It's my understanding that the only definitive way to diagnose adeno is by removing the uterus and doing pathology on it.
Unread 12-09-2011, 08:10 PM

I too am confused as to why your Dr. is not removing your uterus? I was diagnosed with adeno but like sugarandspice said only found that out after surgery in the pathology report. All my ultrasounds before just showed what they thought was a large fibroid. I had everything removed. Bled for 2 months very heavy before surgery. No bleeding since.
Unread 12-09-2011, 08:38 PM

Cherrycola- I had assumed that was a typo, concerning having a hysterectomy but keeping the uterus and cervix. At any rate, I had my entire uterus (including cervix) removed, along with my tubes and my ovaries. I chose to have everything removed because my Mom, who had cervical cancer at 35, died of ovarian last yer. She was 80. I had fibroids, so yes, I was bleeding a lot.
Unread 12-10-2011, 10:28 AM

Hi all,

Sorry it was a typo indeed. My doctor is removing my uterus but keeping my ovaries and cervix.

Im concerned about the bleeding/periods after the surgery as i heard that adenomyosis/endometrosis can still happen as the lining can grow on the ovaries or fallopian tubes. And when it's the time of the month, the lining will still shed itself. how true is this?

By the way, has anyone of you used tranexamic acid before to control the bleeding?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register