4 wks post op (Advise please) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 wks post op (Advise please) 4 wks post op (Advise please)

Unread 12-09-2011, 06:43 AM
4 wks post op (Advise please)

Hi,
I had a fully abdominal Hysterectomy 4 wks today. I am still having some discomfort (like a lower abdominal pulling feeling) its also hard to sleep because when I stretch my legs out the pulling feels worse. It's also stopping me from standing up straight. Does anyone know if this is normal at this stage.

I have still not been out f the house, I have just been taking it easy. I have stared to do a bit more around the house just tidying up etc to try and get myself moving but I don't really know how much I should be doing at this stage.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2011, 09:03 AM
Re: 4 wks post op (Advise please)

I am also 4 weeks post opt today. I have felt the pulling at times also. Maybe as the internal swelling reduces, the muscles are tightening up. It could also be the internal stitches are dissolving. Whatever it is, I don't think it's abnormal. It you have severe pain or bleeding associated with it, I would contact your doctor.
How is your swelly belly doing? Do you have a vertical incision? I feel that it tends to have pulling and pain on one side.
Unread 12-09-2011, 09:39 AM

Hi,
thanks for your reply. Are you still taking pain killers? I decided to try and wean myself off them but the pain is that bad today i've had to take them again. Are you going out and doing things around the house yet?

I was cut left to right (about 8 inches) and glued. It looks like i've had a tummy tuck.

I had adhesions and endo so at 38 there was no real solution other than this. They were going to try and save my cervix but it was all that stuck together so the lot had to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2011, 09:54 AM

I stopped taking the pain meds after the 2 1/2 wk mark. I did have to take one last weekend. My doc. gave me Motrin 600 also. I have taken 2 of those this week.

I was cleared to drive on Tuesday. I went to the dentist, brow wax, and a few groceries on that day. Wednesday I had to rest. Went to dinner with some work friends wed. night a shopped for about an hour. I have done nothing since then. I find it i do anything, it should be in short bouts, then rest the next day completely.

I had a vertical incision, about 6 inches with staples. I am 45 and had a volleyball sized cyst on one ovary, a walnut on the other. The surgeon took everything because she said if I didn't need the parts anymore, then it would or could cause trouble later to leave everything. I do feel a lot lighter and have lost about 12lbs since the surgery. I think it was mostly the organs that were removed.
How's the swelling?
Unread 12-09-2011, 10:12 AM

Wow sounds like your doing so much better than I am, I dared to go out in the garden yesterday and thats as far as i've been.

I've got an appointment to see the gyne surgeon who did my op on Monday (it's the 1st time since my op) i'm dreading the journey its 75 miles each way. The hospital said no driving for 6 weeks so my hubby will take me.

My tummy is really bloated, I've been wearing loose summer dresses (in northern England) in December. Just got on the scales and no weight loss for me. It may be something to do with all the mince pies i've been eating.

I'm still struggling to sleep, I have only this week been able to lie on my side but its not comfy.
Unread 12-09-2011, 10:22 AM

Like I said, I think the weight loss was mostly from the fluid filled cyst. I probably SHOULDN'T have done all of that.. I have a 5 week apt with the surgeon next week. She just had to move it up a week.

When you go for the appointment drive, I would suggest taking a small pillow and when bumps in the road arise, hold it to your tummy for support.

I have been wear the same stretchy pants and pajamas for the last 4 weeks. I manged some stretchy jeans Wednesday for 4 hours them right back to jammies. I still have a lot of swelling on one side. I hear that's normal for a while. I read on another chat that people are suggesting taking the pain meds as long as you need them, that's why they gave them to you.
Unread 12-10-2011, 04:56 AM

I don't want to give strong suggestions when I don't know indivuduals' situations - type of surgery, complications, etc etc
but I had a TAH/BSO with a vertical incision and have found that walking helped relieve a lot of my pain.

In fact I was told to start walking while still in the hospital, and build up very gradually once I got home.
For about 10 days my sister and BIL from out of town were with me and I sat around a lot to be sociable. I ended up in worse pain than when I came home.
When they went (I live on my own) I got into a routine of being more active in general, but especially walking interspersed with lying down flat. I sat as little as I could.
I improved rapidly doing this.
So - maybe some walks would help? Build up gradually, though.
I was told that by 6-8 weeks I should be walking at a brisk pace for 20-30 minutes at least 3 times a week.
Unread 12-10-2011, 08:13 AM

Acey..that is great advice. I found the same thing in regards to sitting and lying flat. I am beginning my walking routine today. How long did u start with and how much did u increase wach time?
Unread 12-11-2011, 04:55 AM

I started by walking to the "short" end of the street and back, twice a day. About 5 houses distance.
Two days later I walked to the other end of the street which is twice as far, but I only did it once a day. I didn't go further than that for a week or so.
From week 3 I walked around the block, or else to a nearby supermarket and back (didn't carry heavy things, and sat down outside the supermarket the first couple of times before the return journey)
I always lay down on the bed and relaxed completely a few times a day for 1/2-1 hour and got lots of sleep at night! (Oh, those were the days....! been back at work full-time for about 6 weeks).
Somewhere about the 5-6 week mark I felt I had my stamina back and could walk easily without feeling tired or a bit faint (as I had sometimes earlier)
I did used to be a walker pre-op. and even cycled to work sometimes, about 6 kms., but this op. really knocked the stuffing out of me! I am not ready to cycle to work again yet!
Sometimes I found that walking hurt if I walked too heavily, but it was only temporary and I generally felt better for it later.
But rest, lots of rest is essential!
Unread 12-11-2011, 08:54 AM

I'm still having pulling and pressure, and I'm four and a half weeks post op. I think it's pretty normal, because those ab muscles were cut in half and are healing back together now. They're not going to be as limber and stretchy as they were before. I can stand up straight and lie flat, but not for hours and hours, as we do before surgery. I'm usually up for an hour, then lie back and rest for a hour. If I don't rest after being up for a while, I'll end up walking bent over and taking tiny steps. Ab muscles are important for standing up, and ours are weakened right now.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register