4 wks post op (Advise please) - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 wks post op (Advise please) 4 wks post op (Advise please)

Unread 12-11-2011, 09:11 AM
Re: 4 wks post op (Advise please)

Many thanks its nice to know its not just me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2011, 03:58 PM

Looking back from the perspective of 3 1/2 months, I can truly say that 4 weeks is early days!

I had all the discomfort others have reported back then, too. Healing takes a LOT more time than many of us expected!

By the time you get near the 3 month mark, I reckon you will have come a long way from where you are now and will be feeling close to normal most of the time.

I think whenever we extend ourselves beyond what we've done, we will hurt a lot or a bit. Even now I find that. But at the stage I'm at, it's more like when (pre-op.) we use muscles we haven't used much for ages, and I don't ever worry about it now. I feel instead that I'm truly re-finding my fitness and strength and what is "normal" for me.

But at 4 weeks you certainly need to take a lot of care, not strain, and get heaps of rest. You can still do yourself harm, for sure.
Unread 12-20-2011, 08:02 AM

Hi,
Thanks for the reply's. I Have been out walking a little bit and have felt LOADS better. Yesterday however, I did something stupid and lifted a heavey jar. Since then I've had a pressure feeling down below, is this normal when you've overdone it? I got my husband to weigh the jar when he got home and it weighted 5 pound.

Have been back on the setee again today. I'm so annoyed with myself!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2011, 11:56 AM

At 6 1/2 weeks I still have pulling and pain(not horrible) in my tummy. Went to doc today and told me its normal. Said not to expect to be completely 100% till at LEAST the 6 to 8 month period as I will be still healing.
Unread 12-20-2011, 12:40 PM

Hi from Jacqui1 in the UK.
Its true that walking as much as can be managed in the early days will help.
I had TAH 1st Nov and am now 7 weeks post op. I feel absolutely fantastic physically. My doctor said that my level of fitness pre-op has had a major influence on my recovery. However, i felt the same paint hat every one else feels. I was up and slowly walking the morning after my op, home 3 days after the op (and going up and down the stairs albeit slowly), by day 7 was walking outdoors for 20 mins. yes I could "feel" my wound, but not pain. I increased my walks to 30 mins week 2, 40 mins week 3, 45 mins week 4, and back to the gym week 5. The only thing I had to do in the first 4 weeks was sleep after every walk! But I guess that helped the healing process too.
Unread 12-20-2011, 05:16 PM

I also found walking was the best help. Lots of short walks in the early days interspersed with long rests lying down. Gradually increased walking and decreased lying. It seemed to work well - I feel fairly normal at 8 weeks.
Unread 12-20-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mille2010 View Post
Yesterday however, I did something stupid and lifted a heavey jar. Since then I've had a pressure feeling down below, is this normal when you've overdone it? I got my husband to weigh the jar when he got home and it weighted 5 pound.

Have been back on the setee again today. I'm so annoyed with myself!!
We all do this, I bet!
Even much later than 4 weeks it's possible to feel discomfort of one sort or another when we overdo it. Sometimes it's like we have taken two steps backward. I did that more than once or twice but got over it in a day or so.And later, it can just be because we are re-using muscles we haven't used for a long time, and it's quite OK. We DO have to get back into it eventually!
I wouldn't worry if I were you. You are doing the right thing and having some rest. You are probably safe enough at 4 weeks not to have done any damage, but you still need to be a bit careful!
At 4 weeks I caught a really nasty vomiting bug that went on for 12 hours (the vomiting) non-stop, every 1/4 hour. Oh the pain!!!!!!
It messed with my insides so much - strained muscles - that I was scared enough to go to my GP. I thought I'd caused a bladder prolapse.
She said she didn't think so - just wait and see for a day or so, and I realised it was just muscle strain. It took about three days to feel better.
Unread 12-20-2011, 09:35 PM

I'm having the same issues with the pulling and pinching sensations. Some nights I am able to sleep on one or the other side without feeling much and other nights it's so noticeable if I shift positions that I'm stuck on my back. I also have to be careful how much I do each day or I pay for it the following day. Sounds like it's pretty common from everyone's comments. It eases my mind reading everyone's experiences being similar to mine. Thanks!
Unread 12-22-2011, 09:59 AM

I am at 3.5 weeks so we are very close in our dates.
I do feel the pull, especially on the two sides of my incision and have been recovering from a fungal infection near by my incision.

I have been on an emotional rollercoaster due to the Holidays.
I was in the hospital for Thanksgiving and now not up to traveling for Christmas visit to the family a few hours away. My husband keeps telling me to just rest and not worry...but it is so hard.

Fellow hystersisters...keep up the good thoughts !!! Take care of yourself and just rest and recover. We sometimes need to put ourselves first. Hugs to all. And hope that Santa brings a little more recovery our way.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register