TAH, or do I have another option? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH, or do I have another option? TAH, or do I have another option?

Unread 12-09-2011, 10:46 AM
TAH, or do I have another option?

I'm scheduled for an abdominal hysterectomy on January 11. The doctor will try to save my ovaries and cervix, depending on how they look. I had a myomectomy 15 years ago, and I again have fibroids the size of a 16 week fetus, and have been bleeding for over a month now, at times severely. My doctor said that because I had prior abdominal surgery and will most likely have adhesions, my only option is an abdominal hysterectomy. I remember how difficult is was to recover from the myomectomy, and I'm so afraid to have another abdominal surgery. Is there anyone else here who has a similar situation, and had a davinci or laprascopic?

I'm just wondering if I have options. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Re: TAH, or do I have another option?

I had an abdominal surgery but from accounts here, I don't seem to be in any worse shape than those who had DaVinci. Options is partly up to you. How long do you want to live with things as they are? Can you have an ablation to end the bleeding and live with the enlarged uterus? You could definitely get a second opinion from a dr who has seem your history. For me, with a similar sized uterus and menopause 10 years out, I felt the hysterectomy was inevitable and went on and got it out of the way, think about where your feeling are on the subject and get lots of reputable info, which means watch out what you read on the internet!
Unread 12-09-2011, 11:22 AM

I guess my post wasn't really clear. I WANT to have the hysterectomy. No other options would work for me. I've been with my dr. for 25 years, he knows me so well, and I have lots of faith in him. I was just wondering about the TYPE of hysterectomy. I was trying to avoid another abdominal surgery, and my dr. said it was the only option for me. I was just wondering if anyone here had a similar situation as mine (enlarged uterus, large fibroids) who had something other than an abdominal.

I also forgot to mention that when I had the myomectomy 15 years ago, my dr. found a moderate amount of endometriosis that he eliminated, so he expects to find more this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2011, 01:39 PM

Hi there. I had my TAH in September. I'm in NZ so maybe medical field is different here in a smaller country. So maybe my post won't help you at all!! (Sorry if that's the case). I was hellbent prior to surgery on finding another less invasive option. I got 2nd & 3rd opinions from experienced surgeons. All said they could 'try' and do lap surgery but as long as I signed a form saying they could convert to ab surgery if it was too difficult to remove large uterus. I opted to go straight to the abdominal to avoid double invasion. Also, time under anaesthetic is shorter and they could get a good look in - it's like a complete abdominal warrant of fitness! They took my fibroid uterus (12 weeks) and large cyst on ovary ( which they didn't find on ultrasound prior to opening me up) and voilà, I was healed instantly. I had an awesome recovery, no real pain at all ( thanks to wonder drugs from the anaesthetist I could have kissed all over!) and 3 months later I am fighting fit and loving my fibroid free future! I had never had surgery before so didn't hav any expectations of the healing process though. I would happily do it over if I had to that's how good it was! Ok that sounds a little bit wrong, but you know what I mean ! Maybe if you have risk of finding endo then the more exploratory option (ab) is a better route for your surgery? If you do go down that path then at least they have seen it all and cleared you all out - bit gory but true! It's great you have had your dr for 25 years that must be a comfort. Well I have rabbited on and on and not offered you an alternative. Again, I do apologise. Best wishes to you with your research on other options.
Unread 12-09-2011, 01:47 PM

Thanks legal! I am so happy for you, that you had an easy recovery. I think that's what I'm most worried about. My recovery 15 yrs ago was difficult, and I'm older now, and I have a child now. I think deep down I know that the abdominal would be the best to make sure they can see everything, I'm just scared!! I'll make it through, I just have another 4 1/2 weeks to do nothing but think, think, think, and that's not a good thing for me!
Unread 12-09-2011, 03:39 PM
TAH, or do I have another option?

I know exactly what you mean. I had 8 weeks from settin the date and I went stir crazy second guessing every little action and decision. It wasn't til 2 days before that I finally found my peace and accepted the inevitable. If your last abdominal was 15 years ago, positive side of that is that the medical world has progressed alot in 15 years and it should be better for you in that regard. I'm 43 and have 5 kids so you are right in saying it's harder as we get older. However if you are generally fit and active you will definitely recover quicker. Xo
Unread 12-09-2011, 04:51 PM

I know what you mean. I had a laparotomy at age 19 to have an ovary removed. Then a c-section at 29. Then a myomectomy at 39. The myomectomy recovery was hard, seemingly harder than the laparotomy and the c-section. My doctor said it is a hard surgery even though done laparoscopically.

Like you,my fibroids and uterus is too big to remove laparoscopically or robotically. I trust my doctor. She does a lot more laps and vaginal hysterectomies than abdominal so I don't have any reason to think she's bias toward an abdominal hysterectomy. Trying to take large fibroids and uterus lap. or vaginally can make the surgery longer and even more difficult for the physician. I'm not sure the recovery is always easier (it is for some but not for others).

Having said that I am mentally preparing myself for a long recovery. I was back to work at 3 weeks after my ovary was removed but I was 19. At 49, I plan to take a good 6-8 weeks off and baby myself. Good luck.
Unread 12-09-2011, 05:07 PM

My myomectomy was a 5 hr surgery, and I was out of work for 7 weeks. My c-section was sooo easy compared to that! I'm hoping this surgery is easier too, because they're just taking things out, not cutting around things and trying to save things! I'm 49 too, and have always been healthy and active (until about a month ago, when I started bleeding and clotting like crazy!) I know this is what has to be done, and I'm looking forward to getting my life back!
Unread 12-09-2011, 11:38 PM

I just had mine daVinci, but I am having second thoughts about the procedure because I am in the 3% that have had complications.

For me, they make really small incisions and that is good, but the doctor cuts away the uterus and then drags it through the vagina.

This caused some nerve irritation and damage for me.

I am having moderate inner thigh weakness, back pain for the positioning of the surgery, bowel problems and constipation.

If your doctor wants to do it TAH, and you have the time to recover, go for it.
What happened to me is the risk I took, but now I don't walk right.
I can't get up from sleeping without feeling so weak in my thighs and almost falling over.....

A little buyer's remorse here, even though I liked my gyn/oncologist and my care.
I am now undergoing physical therapy because I hope to make my legs stronger.
Unread 12-10-2011, 06:30 AM

Wow, suziq, I'm so sorry to hear that. I had never heard of complications like that. I hope that you're able to have a full recovery with pt. Thank you for sharing your story with me.
I have learned so much from everyone here.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register