TAH, or do I have another option? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH, or do I have another option? TAH, or do I have another option?

Unread 12-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Re: TAH, or do I have another option?

Janie614, initially my DR and I discussed a myomectomy vs. hysterectomy. She said that a myomectomy is harder to recover from then an abdominal hysterectomy and offered to give me phone numbers of patients to talk to who regretted chosing a myomectomy (over a hysterectomy), similar to my age and condition.

I chose a SAH (with horizontal incision), when asked how I was feeling the evening of my surgery my reply was "not as bad as I expected". My recovery was uneventful. I was able to go back to work after a month of recovery (I had events scheduled I couldn't change). My work includes travel for business and speaking engagements which to be truthful, at first wore me out. It is often said on this site that there is a change for the better at the 6 week recovery point and though I don't know why, I totally agree! If I were to do it again, I would still choose a SAH but take the recommended 6 weeks off.

I hope you do as well as I did, good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2011, 04:26 PM

I also have fibroids and an evil, enlarged uterus. My 1st opinion gave me drugs. My 2nd opinion discussed open abdominal surgery options. She referred me to her friend as a 3rd opinion to see if I was a candidate for laparoscopic options. Due to a “14 week” sized uterus and the fact that I have never been pregnant, the final decision is to open me up.

Like others, I am concerned about recovery time. I laughed yesterday when a colleague of mine told me his daughter has a tattoo that says “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger”. It made me think that I will wear my scar with pride - I do not care about the scar being vertical or bikini. I just want to feel better as soon as possible!

Best wishes to all the sisters
Unread 12-10-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janie614 View Post
Wow, suziq, I'm so sorry to hear that. I had never heard of complications like that. I hope that you're able to have a full recovery with pt. Thank you for sharing your story with me.
I have learned so much from everyone here.
Thanks, Janie.
I don't want to scare you, because 97% have very little problems whatsoever.

If you do have any problems after your hysterectomy, bring it to the attention of your doctor right away.
I just thought that the weakness in my inner thighs would get stronger with time. I was in denial and did not press my doctor very hard or a decision as to why and a solution.

The decision was that yes, it happened after my surgery, also, I needed to see the neurologist as soon as possible, bet a diagnosis and a treatment plan.

The doctor was hoping that the problem would go away, and then he got busy and forgot about me and my referral to a neurologist.

I was in denial and was hoping it would just go away.
Well, it didn't and now the nerves have atrophied somewhat.

Hopefully physical therapy will do the trick. If not, I certainly do not want another surgery (on the inner thigh nerves or back) to correct it...this would be far too risky.

I have to scale back on my exercise...no running, and only 45 minutes of walking.
The PT has suggested that I replace the intensive walking with swimming, which is low impact on my back and other nerves.
I swam for an hour this morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2011, 09:38 PM

Janie614,

If you want a minimally invasive surgery, seek a second opinion from a DR who is well experienced with TLH. Your uterus doesn't have to be removed vaginally. Size isn't a big factor but previous surgeries can cause problems for an inexperienced surgeon. There is excellent visibility during a TLH and it can also be done using the daVinci robot.

Tell your DR that you would really like to have a minimally invasive surgery and ask for recommendations. You owe it to yourself to at least have the discussion. DRs all have different skill sets and just because one can't do the surgery you want doesn't mean it can't be done.

Good luck, I hope you get the surgery YOU want.

Unread 12-10-2011, 10:45 PM

Hi Janie614, I have had prior laparoscopic surgery to remove an endometrioma from my right ovary and endometrial ablation for a fibroid. She also cauterized some endometriosis lesions. I got a second opinion from a GYN who is very experienced in laparoscopic surgery who is confident that he can do laparoscopic hysterectomy (LSH) even though I have a 12-14 week size uterus from a fibroid, two endometriomas on my right ovary, and he suspects he is going to have to excise various endometriosis implants. I would suggest getting a second opinion, even if you love your current doctor. I agree with others that have said that different doctors have different skills based on their level of experience. My sugery is scheduled for Dec. 22. I can keep you posted on what happens.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register