BSO 12/2 - Menopause has kicked in! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

BSO 12/2 - Menopause has kicked in! BSO 12/2 - Menopause has kicked in!

Unread 12-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Unhappy - BSO 12/2 - Menopause has kicked in! BSO 12/2 - Menopause has kicked in!

Hello Sisters,

I had a BSO one week ago today, hysterectomy almost 11 years ago. I hadn't had any symptoms up until yesterday. Yesterday I was feeling blue, horrible headache & a couple flashes. Today I am an emotional wreck! I feel like I have no control over my emotions, whatsoever. I've been crying off and on most of the day.

Tried calling my dr office for a script of estrogen, but they leave early on Fridays...go figure. I was told to call back on Monday. My postop appt is on Wednesday.

My poor husband, I called him at work bawling. He said he is going to stop by the health food store for some OTC remedies. Bless his heart... I'm very lucky after 23 years of marriage he still has my back. Are there any suggestions on herbal remedies? This is all new to me, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Re: BSO 12/2 - Menopause has kicked in!

If you are going to reach the DR Monday, I would not bother with the herbals now. The herbal remedies take at least a couple of weeks to start working. There's no point if you think you will be getting the prescription next week.

in there!

s,
-Linda
Unread 12-11-2011, 03:38 PM

You are precisely where I was a week ago Friday. Ten days post op and hit a wall. Could not stop crying no matter how hard I tried. Headache turned into a vomiting migraine. Unbelievable how this happens. Thank goodness my doc has an on-call service as I was able to get an estrogen patch that night. It still took a trip to the ER and three days to get rid of headache, but the menopause symptoms left nearly right away. Get it as soon as you can! I still am not sleeping as well as I'd like and I am learning a lot about my body on this patch - but it is definitely better and most importantly - my mood has been 100% stable ever since I put this thing on.
Hugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2011, 08:07 PM

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I totally appreciate it! Today is the first day in many that my headache was managable, it's still there, but not like it was. The emotional rollercoaster is just nuts!

I will be calling the doctor's office first thing in the morning for some sort of estrogen. Which patch are you on? There are so many...(patches, sprays, creams, gels, pills, oh my!) to choose from. I'm not sleeping well at night either, but the biggest worry right now is getting my emotions in check. I have to go back to work on Thursday & I really don't want to be a blubbering mess.

Thanks again for your reply!

Hugs,

Monica
Unread 12-12-2011, 07:11 AM

You know Monica, I think things happen for a reason. If I had been having symptoms that left me "on the fence" about HRT it would have probably been difficult. I am a "natural nut", thinker, I did research about all of it -reading as much as I could about gels, creams, bio-identicals, orals, patches - and you're right, I was totally overwhelmed. In fact, there are several posts from me out here when I was in the "not sure mode", before things got worse for me. Then I had my emergency. It was one of those "rock bottom moments" that I have heard about from others who have had health issues. When I called the GYN, it was my doc's partner and I have never met her. I eeked out two words on the phone, then broke down sobbing. I dont even know how she understood me, but she did. She said "oh honey, you are in estrogen crisis, I am calling you in a patch". The patch bypasses the liver so the estrogen does not tax that organ - which in my case, had been through a lot with all the meds we were trying to deal with the migraine. I didnt even ask her a question - which is very unlike me, so you can see I was super sick - but perhaps it was helpful as I did not have to go through a big debate with myself.
So in a way - all those decisions were taken away. I would have slapped anything on my behind in that moment - and did. When I felt better three days later, I read all the literature, LOL.

I have only been on this thing for 10 days. The first one was the Climara generic patch by Mylan. It is quite large, super sticky, and I put it on the top of my behind and it stayed put all week. The adhesive is a bit gross, but do-able. At my post-op a week later my doc saw it and said "I am writing you a new script for the name brand Climara patch, it is smaller and thinner". So now this second week, I have that one on and sure enough , it is about the size of a silver dollar and quite thin.
During the winter months I shower every other day - dry skin - and so far, it is also staying on. Too early to tell if this will ultimately be my solution , but my doc said "if this is working for you, I am keeping you at this dosage for at least a year." I am on a patch that is .1, which is among the higher patch dosages, but like I said - so far at ten days - emotionally stable and no hot flashes and no migraine. I am hoping this is the new stable me - I think I can deal with this. I may have other side effects but it has been too soon to tell and they are not yet obvious.

I am not yet released for sex, so I dont know if this will help my former pre-menopausal low libido. I am seeing vaginal mucus (sorry, TMI) when I use the bathroom, so at the very least, I am hoping for less vaginal dryness as a positive side effect.

Good luck to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register