Weaker vaginal cuff with DaVinci? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Weaker vaginal cuff with DaVinci? Weaker vaginal cuff with DaVinci?

Unread 12-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Weaker vaginal cuff with DaVinci?

I have read here that the vaginal cuff (stitching) is weaker with DaVinci.

Why would this be true? Are people saying it's weaker than regular laprascopic, vaginal or abdominal?

If that is true, why wouldn't the dr stitch the vaginal cuff some other way? He could do everything else with the robot.

Doesn't this all have to do with the skill of the dr?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Re: Weaker vaginal cuff with DaVinci?

I had a DaVinci procedure, and yes - was warned that the cuff is not as strong as through other methods. However, the benefits for me far outweighed that risk. This is the reason that many doctors do a longer than 6 week "pelvic rest" -- I have 9 weeks of pelvic rest, and my doctor said that in the 5 years she's been doing DaVinci procedures, she has had one torn cuff out of all the patients that followed her recommendation. She has done several hundred. I am not sure how the cuff is closed off in a traditional vaginal hysterectomy. As long as I'm willing to follow doctor's restrictions (and I am!), I'm fine with things. My other option would have been total abdominal - so the trade off was worth it to me (not a candidate for vaginal).
Unread 12-09-2011, 07:04 PM

I had a TVH and the doctor closed my cuff manually. I was cleared at 8 weeks. I think he could have cleared me at 6 weeks but he wanted me to take it easy longer because I've had lots of issues pre op.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2011, 01:23 AM

I have been very concerned because I am at 7 weeks post-op DaVinci surgery and still bleeding at the same "level" as 2 weeks. Did you experience the same?
Unread 12-10-2011, 04:21 AM

I can't see what the benefit of DaVinci would be if it takes so long to heal. I am 6 weeks TAH and cleared to do everything. I didn't have any vaginal discharge or bleeding either. I must admit the abdominal incision is pretty ugly!
Unread 12-10-2011, 04:40 AM

I never heard of this nor did my doctor warn of this. I had DaVinci due to a very large fibroid tumor. Uterus and cervix removed; retained both ovaries. I am one week post-op. I had minimal pinkish discharge days 1 and 2 and nothing since. Like "kbid" my only option was total abdominal and I really didn't want that.

I hate to be dense but does pelvic rest entail anything more than zero vaginal entry (e.g., sex, tampons, etc.) I was told no sex until my 6 week check-up but if there's something more I'm supposed to be doing/not doing, I'd like to know.
Unread 12-10-2011, 06:55 AM

Complete pelvic rest also means no orgasms. So nothing in the vagina and also no external stimulation.
Unread 12-10-2011, 07:04 AM

I was not told this by my doc...
I know that I am on the 8 week plan for "rest".
I had no bleeding at all. not even right afterwards.
I have had none since.

I asked my doc and she said I could have an orgasm just nothing was to enter. At my 6 weeks she said everything was healing fine and just remember nothing inside for 2 more weeks.
Unread 12-10-2011, 11:51 AM

Zany56, after 4 abdominal surgeries prior to two laparoscopic (one of which is the DaVinci), I'd pick the recovery - and extremely low pain - of this, personally. In the grand scheme, 3 more weeks sex-free isn't that much. All other restrictions are lifted before that. It's all in what you mind and dont mind, I guess.
Unread 12-10-2011, 02:57 PM

My doctor said no orgasms for 4 weeks and nothing in the vagina for 8. Unfortunately my body had other ideas and I had an erotic dream at 2 weeks that ended with an O just as I was waking up. It was a real one and I seem to have survived it. I think they don't want you really tensing those muscles down there and drawing blood to the area more than necessary.

As for the healing time, the cuff may heal a little more slowly, but I am convinced the abdomen heals much faster than abdominal surgery. I'm 2.5 weeks post DVH and I feel completely normal. I even did a good workout this morning and feel fine. I don't think I could have done that with a traditional abdominal incision, so I'm very glad I got da vinci.

Eva

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register