Could I Have Prevented Complex Hyperplasia? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Could I Have Prevented Complex Hyperplasia? Could I Have Prevented Complex Hyperplasia?

Unread 12-26-2001, 08:30 AM
Could I Have Prevented Complex Hyperplasia?

I am scheduled for LAVH tomorrow. I was only recently diagnosed with compex hyperplasia with aytpical cells. Atypia tipped off two doctors to recommend hyster.

Does anyone know: Could I have prevented the atypical cells? Did they generate due to anything in my diet, lifestyle or even spermicide (I've only used condoms for the past 15 years -- never was on the pill)?
What causes the atypical cells? I realize this is a tough but unusual question but would like to know what the contributing factors are for atypical cell growth.

One last question - I belong to a nearby health club. How long should I wait before using the steam room or sauna? The club is open all next week including New Year's
Day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2001, 09:20 AM

Hi Jacqui!

Gosh, you ask some interesting questions! I think you might find, through your research, that the medical profession will vary in opinions on these causes.

You will need to ask your DR specifically about the steam room and sauna, although it sounds very relaxing and 'pampering'! - different DRs have different instructions and restrictions.... not to mention how you are going to get there, since riding may cause too much discomfort so early in your recovery, and driving has to be cleared by your DR, too.

Best wishes!
Unread 12-26-2001, 04:35 PM

Jacqui, I had hyperplasia with atypical cells also. Actually, it did not even occur to me that something I did caused it. Since these are precancerous cells you could look at it this way....you went for check ups and caught this before it became full-blown cancer. I don't know...I prefer to look at it that way. Blaming and questioning yourself will swallow you up in guilt. Been there done that before. No fun!!!

As for the sauna question I would most definitely ask your doc about it. Most docs say no baths for about 6 weeks, only showers. I don't know if the moist atmosphere of a sauna would be all that great to do, but that is just my own thought. Your doc will be able to tell you.

Sherry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2002, 05:04 PM
Hyperplasia cause???

From what I understand, since I had this also, it is a build-up of estrogen in the uterus. Mine, I assume, was because I did not always ovulate. The build-up is caused (I think) from the body retaining what should have been "sloughed off" during menstruation. In my case, the surgery showed Stage Ib uterine cancer. I didn't need chemo because the hysterectomy removed the cancer as it did not go outside the uterus. I did have a scare with ovarian cancer also, but that is being followed by 3-month gyn visits. So far, everything is ok. My doctor told me that the reason they recommend surgery for atypical hyperplasia is because they don't know how long it takes to turn to cancer. I never heard anything about my being responsible for causing it due to diet, lifestyle, etc. I always had problems with my cycles since I first started menstruating and also had Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. This interferred with being able to release eggs for conception. Fortunately, I never married and it was not an issue for me. I am just glad now to be rid of those monthly trips to the "personal products aisle" of the pharmacy. LOL.
Unread 01-15-2002, 07:57 AM
Norway Lynn, Nice To Hear From You

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question about possible causes for complex hyperplasia (with atypical cells).
You are so lucky to have had the cancer contained at an early stage. Up until my surgery, all indications were that I was precancerous. The pathology report following the operation showed Grade 1 Stage a cancer.

I, too, will have to see my doc (a gnyecological oncologist - a true sweethear and professional) 3 -4 times a year.

A friend of mine who is a nurse (her mother has Grade 3 Stage C ovarian cancer -- receiving chemo) strongly recommends that I get tihe CA125 blood test. Just because the ovaries are removed, there is still a chance of ovarian cancer. I'm calling the R.N. about this today.

Thanks again for taking the time to write. Best wishes for 2002.
Unread 01-15-2002, 05:23 PM
CA-125 test

Your friend's recommendation to have this blood test is probably a good idea. Although I was told my ovca was borderline, it was also of the type that does not respond well to CA-125. It is possible to get false positives AND false negatives. I have also had first-hand testimony from a lady who had a hysterectomy with ovaries removed and then 10 years later told she had ovarian cancer. She couldn't believe it. She told the doctor that she had her ovaries removed. He informed her that it is still possible to have ovarian cancer because cells remain from the ovaries. She was told her cancer was "Primary Peritoneal Ovarian Cancer."
I hope you have nothing to worry about. Where do you go to the Gyn-Onc? I see you are from NYC. There have been shows on the Health Channel about ovarian cancer and some of the doctors are from St. Vincent's and also Memorial Sloan Kettering. I met a lady in Indianapolis this past September who lives in NYC. I think she has a Gyn-Onc at St. Vincent's.
Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register