Epidural? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-10-2011, 05:59 PM
Epidural?

My doctor told me that I should consider having the anesthesiologist insert an epidural while I recover from TAH in the hospital. I'm kind of hesitant to do so because that seems like it might be kind of dangerous (given the spinal area, etc.). Anybody have any thoughts? He says it will help greatly with my pain...

Thanks ladies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2011, 06:49 PM
Re: Epidural?

I had an epidural when I was in labour with my son. I highly recommend it for childbirth. Personally I don't think it's necessary post hyster. They will give you morphine and that's plenty to keep most people comfortable. When you have an epidural they have to keep the catheter in since you're unable to walk. I think it's good to get up and start moving around, going to the bathroom. I was offered an epidural for my surgery instead of the general anesthetic but I declined. I wanted to be out and unaware of what they were doing.
Unread 12-10-2011, 09:45 PM

I say do it! My Dr. suggested it also and because of lack of time, the anesthesiologist said it will be fine and he would have plenty of "good" medicine for me after.
well...I was in so much pain in recovery, they could not get the morphine in me quick enough. Then got my pump hooked up so it was managable...but the large amounts of morphine affected my breathing!! I woke up second night gasping for breath....so I threw my button over the side of the bed and asked the nurse for oral meds! I wish I had the epidural...may have avoided so much trauma and pain ....
I say get is sister.....it cant hurt to have a little extra relief...especially if you are having abdominal surg. like I did.

Good luck , will be thinking about you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2011, 10:22 PM

My doctor recommended it for me because it will help with side effects from other medications and it will be a way to manage my pain until I can tolerate medication orally. I am actually very hopeful that it will mean I will be more on top of the pain and that it will delay the itching, nausea, etc. that often come with taking pain medications.

I am having all my endometriosis excised at the same time and from my understanding it can be much more painful then just a hysterectomy.
Unread 12-10-2011, 10:30 PM

I had an SAH. The day I went in for my surgery I was having sinus problems. I have also had past intubation issues. The anesthisia doctor and I agreed to an epidural (I had never had one). She gave me plenty of "I don't care meds" while she started the epidural procedure. I don't remember going to the operating room . I woke up in recovery with only "break through" pain. I was then given a few shots of morphine, and my pain was controlled with morphine shots through the night. In the AM was switched to an oral pill and was up in a chair that same AM. I was walking the halls that afternoon. It worked great for me. Everyone is diferent though...I would say discuss it with your docs and go with what you are comfortable doing. Best of luck to you!
Unread 12-11-2011, 12:05 AM

Hi
I am post op 10 days now I had the epidural with my general anaesthetic. When I woke up from the op it was good because i was reletivally pain free from the waist down. I was able to rest properly and then the next day they reduced the epidural and pain was only minimal and they got me out of bed moving about. The day after that they removed my epidural and put me on oral pain killers which i only took for 2 days. I never have had an epidural until this operation and I recommend it especially for pain relief.
Cheers
chook65
Unread 12-11-2011, 03:31 PM

I declined an epidural. I, too, did not want a catheter near my spinal chord due to stories I had read of botched insertions and the side effects associated with them. BUT - the anesthesiologist offered a Spinal Block, which is similar to an epidural in that it's administered to the base of the spine, but it's a one shot deal.

The anesthesiologist took the time to thoroughly explain it and it's benefits and after some debate and consultation with my husband, went for it. I highly recommend it. Like mentioned above, it reduced the amount of general anesthesia required and eased the transition from IV medication to oral. I woke up pain free and had very little pain after it wore off.
Unread 12-11-2011, 03:35 PM

I had a regional block (via injection) administered to my trunk area when I was sedated and lots of local anaesthetic injected into my abdomen when I was opened up. I never needed anything but oral pain relief from the moment I awoke. The regional block wore off slowly over a 72 hr period. I would highly recommend this form of pain management if you are able to get it. My recovery from my TAH was pretty much painless - literally!
Unread 12-12-2011, 06:40 AM

Thanks so much everybody! I feel better about considering the option. I think I really like the idea of the block, opposed to the catheter. Now I have another option to ask questions about when I speak with the anasthesiologist.

BIG HUGS to all of you!!
Unread 12-12-2011, 11:58 AM

Oh and i also forgot to mention, the block I had didn't affect my legs at all, just my incision area. So I was up out of bed shuffling around within 12 hours of my surgery. No pain at all. Biggest pain was carrying around the tubes they still had me hooked up to for 48 hours 'just in case' I needed iv meds. But I never needed anything. Yay. Hope you have the same experience.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register