TAH 12 weeks still having bowel and bladder issues, anyone else? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

12 weeks still having bowel and bladder issues, anyone else? 12 weeks still having bowel and bladder issues, anyone else?

Unread 12-11-2011, 07:23 PM
12 weeks still having bowel and bladder issues, anyone else?

Hi Sisters, I have been debating on even posting this. Feeling so down in the dumps lately. Just so sick of not feeling well.
I have posted in the past about this around 6 weeks.

Maybe be TMI but where else can we talk so freely then here, love all of you for that!

I went for my first check up at 5 weeks, my Dr said everything was healed nicely. I told him I was having bladder pain after urinating, he said that was normal. I also told him I was having problems having bowel movements, that it also hurt after I went. Never had hard stools, just felt like I couldn't go. He said it was early in recovery and that could also be normal. So I just figured it was part of healing.

I'm now 12 weeks out and I went back to my Dr. last week with the same problems, nervous after all this time. He did an internal exam, said everything looks good and healed. I also asked him if I might possibly have a cystecele or rectocele and he said, no that my vaginal walls are very strong.
My bladder pain is still there, just after I urinate, getting somewhat better, it doesn't hurt everytime. My other problem is my bowels, I finally feel like I have control. I felt like I had no muscle control, couldn't pass gas, felt like I didn't have muscles to push out anything, just weird and scary. This last week I feel like I'm able to control it, almost like a regular bowel movement except my insides are so sore after I go. It feels raw inside my whole pelvic area,almost like I had marathon sex (haven't had that yet either, I'm to scared with the tenderness). My Dr told me now to see a gastro Dr. I have had IBS in the past, I hadn't been bothered by it for a long time. I also have Fibromyalgia. And an anxiety disorder. My first thought is maybe I have been so stressed with all of this I caused a flare up of IBS. I honestly feel like a hypocondriac, I'm so on edge with any new feeling I might have..

Anybody else this far out that may be experiencing anything like this, hoping it's just part of healing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2011, 06:26 AM
Re: 12 weeks still having bowel and bladder issues, anyone else?

I am 4 weeks out from a TAH/BSO-lympadectomy. I also have a history of IBS/constipation issues and fibromyalgia. Not having any bladder issues, except for frequent urination, but am drinking tons of water. As for the bowel issues, never realized how bad chronic constipation can be. I am continuing to take the stool softeners, and have been working to slowly increase dietary fiber. I am taking benefiber, added prunes/nuts/dried apricots and ground flax seed into my diet....slowly. It has helped with the bowel movements, as I felt I had problems "getting it out". Trying to relax.

I know that this may sound strange, but I went to a website called pelvic exercises.com (authors are PT/MD and they are in australia). Anyways, they suggested, when going to the bathroom, bending over, putting elbows on legs, letting the stomach relax and saying "moo" which widens the rib cage and opens the "back passage". I have tried this and it helps with passing gas, and going. I also put a small pillow under my belly and try to relax my belly into the pillow. Most importantly, I am trying to take my time. Letting bowel movements happen, instead of forcing or straining. It has helped, but I must admit this whole thing makes me a little anxious.

My fibro has flared up, due to lack of exercise (prior to surgery I was walking 1/2 hour each am, doing 1/2 yoga each am and taking 3 yoga classes a week to keep fibro symptoms under control. Also beginning to mindful meditation and body scan relaxation to keep anxiety under control.

Dont know if anything is of help....going to see my md this Friday for my first pelvic. Scared and nervous, hope everything is healing okay. I was careful, but worried too about prolapse, rectocele...issues.
Unread 12-12-2011, 09:37 AM

I am at 4 weeks total hysterectomy adominal surgery,I am having the same issues with bladder pains after using the bathroom dr said a couple months it will go away...said it was normal just wish I was 100 % back to normal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notcoping View Post
I am at 4 weeks total hysterectomy adominal surgery,I am having the same issues with bladder pains after using the bathroom dr said a couple months it will go away...said it was normal just wish I was 100 % back to normal
I too am having these bladder issues at 3 weeks post op. I'm glad to hear it's perfectly normal - I was beginning to persuade myself that something was wrong. Any issues I've had, I have had reassurance on here that it is all totally normal - I don't know where I would be without my Sisters
Unread 12-12-2011, 10:24 AM

I am 5 weeks postop TAH, and just had my postop appt this a.m., I am having the same issues, it does seem to improve weekly. My surgeon says this is normal. I also work in surgery, and trust me when I tell you, everything in your belly gets manipuated, it takes time for our bodies to return to normal. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Unread 12-14-2011, 09:00 AM

Thank you for all of your responses. Just hearing your not alone helps.

I just wish my Gyn/onc told me it was all part of the healing process. He seems to feel I should be back to normal by now, He said that at my 5 week check when he did my internal and said everything looked healed.
I'm so thankful for this site with real women going through the same thing.
Yesterday I spent most of the day just laying around. The day before I had a houseful of out of town guests. I cooked, cleaned and was on my feet until 9 pm when I had a chance to sit a few. Then yesterday I woke up exhausted with pain all over and extremely sore breasts. (Don't know what that's all about) Ugh.

Today I have to lug my laundry to the laundremat, had it ready to do yesterday but never made it out the door other then taking my dog for a walk.
Things will get better, they have gotten better. Just very frustrating that I can't seem to plan anything, never know how I'm going to feel one day to the next.
Unread 12-14-2011, 11:27 AM

I'm only 2 weeks out but what I've learned here is that everything is 'normal'. The bowels, bladder and UT pain caught me off guard. I'm not sure my bowels will ever work right again, but I'm trusting they will. I've had a lot of back pain and even my kidneys feel like they're angry! A test showed I didn't have a UTI. I really feel like someone took a joy ride in my abdomen.

I, too, am meditating and visualizing, doing a 'body scan'. Maybe I've been suffering from fibromyalgia for the past 2 years but don't want to give voice to that. One thing I discovered is that my aches went away the 1st week after surgery. Maybe it was overshadoweded by the hyster-pain, but I reflectd back on my diet and realized that I had not eaten wheat / gluten products. The pain came back as I've resumed my normal diet. I'm trying eliminating gluten & wheat from my diet to see if it isn't fibromyalgia, but really food sensitivities. More to be revealed...

I hope you all continue to heal well and that we all be proactive in improving our quality of lives; body, mind & spirit.
Unread 12-14-2011, 01:31 PM

I found out 2 weeks ago, 3 weeks after my hysterectomy, that I have a rapidly growing ovarian cyst and that it was the source of my bladder and bowel issues. Dont hesitate to get checked out, especially if you still have your ovaries!
Unread 12-14-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zcowgal View Post
I'm only 2 weeks out but what I've learned here is that everything is 'normal'. The bowels, bladder and UT pain caught me off guard. I'm not sure my bowels will ever work right again, but I'm trusting they will. I've had a lot of back pain and even my kidneys feel like they're angry! A test showed I didn't have a UTI. I really feel like someone took a joy ride in my abdomen.

I, too, am meditating and visualizing, doing a 'body scan'. Maybe I've been suffering from fibromyalgia for the past 2 years but don't want to give voice to that. One thing I discovered is that my aches went away the 1st week after surgery. Maybe it was overshadoweded by the hyster-pain, but I reflectd back on my diet and realized that I had not eaten wheat / gluten products. The pain came back as I've resumed my normal diet. I'm trying eliminating gluten & wheat from my diet to see if it isn't fibromyalgia, but really food sensitivities. More to be revealed...

I hope you all continue to heal well and that we all be proactive in improving our quality of lives; body, mind & spirit.
zcowgal, i am 5 weeks out amd have experienced all of that. You are not alone. I would've sworn I had a kidney infection or UTI. My bowels were far from normal. At 5 weeks though, everything is starting to function normally. My back is still a little sore, but i am improving weekly. Rest assured this to shall pass! (((HUGS)))
Unread 12-15-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsKati View Post
Hi Sisters, I have been debating on even posting this. Feeling so down in the dumps lately. Just so sick of not feeling well.
I have posted in the past about this around 6 weeks.

Maybe be TMI but where else can we talk so freely then here, love all of you for that!

I went for my first check up at 5 weeks, my Dr said everything was healed nicely. I told him I was having bladder pain after urinating, he said that was normal. I also told him I was having problems having bowel movements, that it also hurt after I went. Never had hard stools, just felt like I couldn't go. He said it was early in recovery and that could also be normal. So I just figured it was part of healing.

I'm now 12 weeks out and I went back to my Dr. last week with the same problems, nervous after all this time. He did an internal exam, said everything looks good and healed. I also asked him if I might possibly have a cystecele or rectocele and he said, no that my vaginal walls are very strong.
My bladder pain is still there, just after I urinate, getting somewhat better, it doesn't hurt everytime. My other problem is my bowels, I finally feel like I have control. I felt like I had no muscle control, couldn't pass gas, felt like I didn't have muscles to push out anything, just weird and scary. This last week I feel like I'm able to control it, almost like a regular bowel movement except my insides are so sore after I go. It feels raw inside my whole pelvic area,almost like I had marathon sex (haven't had that yet either, I'm to scared with the tenderness). My Dr told me now to see a gastro Dr. I have had IBS in the past, I hadn't been bothered by it for a long time. I also have Fibromyalgia. And an anxiety disorder. My first thought is maybe I have been so stressed with all of this I caused a flare up of IBS. I honestly feel like a hypocondriac, I'm so on edge with any new feeling I might have..

Anybody else this far out that may be experiencing anything like this, hoping it's just part of healing
Hi and thank you for your post. My DR hasnt even examined me just spoke to me.
I am 6 wks out and just the same as you with the DR saying none of this is due to the hysterectomy.
Good to see you have this and it is getting alittle better for you.
The DR gave me a very strange look when I said it still hurt to have a wee.
I was also very anxious before the surgery plus had some stress in the last 6 wks.
Good luck with the rest of your healing. Jane x

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register