Help: uncontrollable anxiety pre-op! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help: uncontrollable anxiety pre-op! Help: uncontrollable anxiety pre-op!

Unread 12-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Re: Help: uncontrollable anxiety pre-op!

You ladies on this site are a God send! I don't know how I would of gotten this far without your tips, advice, support.

It seems to hit me at the most innapropriate time-when I'm not thinking about it at all. I wrote this post last night just before bed, and then I woke up this morning to go to work and was experiencing a horrible/severe mirgraine, so I had to call off work today-which makes me feel guilty. I'm just up now after noon feeling much better, but we were just on a day trip for work yesterday and I already requested that I have this Thursday off so I can have 24 hours to do last minute things around the house, shopping, try to have me time one final time with my parts inside of me.

My husband travels, is not home much at all, will only be home the morning of surgery then back to work, so I'll be depending on my boys to bring me things before they go to school for the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2011, 01:17 PM

@kathty1977- Hey! I just got done about 4 hrs. ago. I'm having a little cramping, but I am sooo glad it's over. I will pray for you to have "a peace that passes understanding." I know how nerve racking this whole thing is. Good luck andyou will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Unread 12-12-2011, 01:21 PM

Omg, how sweet of you to reply 4 hours after surgery! Think about yourself now and I will pray for a great recovery for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2011, 09:36 PM

I am soooooo glad that I am not the only one feeling this way!! I have been so weird and paranoid at work lately and about to drive my coworkers crazy! I wish that I could print out all of these replies so that they know I am not the only one like this! I am 52 and having my surgery on the 15th. I also had my pre-op appts. with the Dr. and at the hospital on this past Fri. I have been driving myself absolutely crazy trying to decide whether or not to have the surgery, whether to keep my ovaries, and then at my Dr. appt. my husband asked about the cervix and thinks I should keep it! So, I was scheduled for an LAVH and then they changed it to LSH. I am thinking of changing it back to the LAVH! I hate making these decisions! So thankful to have this site to learn all that I have! I can't believe it is just a few days away! God bless all of us this week and keep us all safe!
Unread 12-12-2011, 09:46 PM

I know exactly how you are feeling. I had previous surgery in April and thought i was going to have an anxiety attack. I couldnt stop shaking even when i was being wheeled into the OR. So when I found out 6 months later I would have to have surgery again, I was devastated. Let me tell you what made the difference: I ordered the cd's from this site that helped you meditate before, during, and after surgery. I was willing to try anything. I can tell you it made a huge difference~HUGE! I feel asleep listening to it everynight. I went in cool as a cucumber, never thought it would be possible. As a matter of fact, Ive just talked myself into listening to the post op healing segement tonight, I need a boost. Good luck to you!
Unread 12-12-2011, 10:05 PM
Help: uncontrollable anxiety pre-op!

I would definitely call my dr. He/she can give you a low dose of Xanax or klonopin to relieve your anxiety! I did that before my surgery last Wednesday. Try to focus on all the blessings in your life and it will be over before you know it! I am 5 days postop and am starting to feel much better! It's really not that bad!! Trust me - if I can do it, so can you! 🌷
Unread 12-12-2011, 10:09 PM

wildcat: I know what you mean-I let my husband fill my head two years ago when I was supposed to have this done that I needed to keep the cervix-the men think we need this for them to have sex with us I guess, but I"ve learned on here that is not true. I also decided that I do not want to have ANYMORE surgeries after this one, so I already told the Dr. I changed my mind about possibley keeping one ovary and we will be taking out both ovaries this Friday. I also intend to tell the Dr. if there is any clinical reason to take my cervix also so I will not need to face a possible surgery again.

I guess I've learned alot suddenly being over 40. My husband once made one comment very ignorantly many years ago in reference to my mom not having her female organs, and also my cat, and that has STUCK WITH ME FOREVER-and I still hear it in my head and I even went so far as to tell myself I would divorce him if I ever needed a hysterectomy, and well, here I am having it in a few days! My point is this: Dont' let your man dictate what you have done-I will not and regret ever letting him before.

Me too about wanting coworkers to know: I have openly admitted to them that I am having real anxiety, so they better back off me the next few days or I'll snap on them I'm afraid.
Unread 12-12-2011, 10:17 PM

I totally understand I had my complete Hysterectomy Nov 16th and I was very nervous, snappy and emotional and its all normal because of the fear of the unknown. I am now post-op and dealing with being tired and somewhat emtional and struggling because I thought I would be able to get ready for Christmas but that is not the case. When you can only life five pounds thats not much of nothing..ha ... So just get everything you want to get done at this time and just be ready to rest, rest, rest.... You'll all do great and I will be praying for all of you....
Unread 12-12-2011, 10:46 PM

Hi Kathy 1970! I had my surgery on Nov. 8th, and I can tell you that what you are experiencing is very normal. I reacted the same way before my surgery, especially as the date grew closer. I would cry drving to work, sitting at home........everywhere. I did the same as you and actually broke down at work on my last day in front of two co-workers. I mean broke down in a way you only hope to do in private. What worked for me was prayer and more prayer! I had to constantly allow God to remind me that I was going to be okay. And let me tell you Kathy, you will be okay, from the time you get rolled into the operating room until the time you get to recovery, will feel like ten minutes. You are "put under" shortly after you get to the operating room. Waiting and not knowing what to fully expect is the hardest part.......the unknown is always fearful. Just remember that anxiety brings more stress and you need to be calm going into surgery. Try to put your mind at ease, I know that sounds hard, but you will get through this! I wish you a successful surgery and healthy recovery!
This prayer helped me tremendously, I hope it Blesses you as well!
http://my.homewithgod.com/joanneshea...Operation.html
Unread 12-12-2011, 10:58 PM

Hello Ladies, I can relate to what you are going through. I had all kinds of anxiety before my surgery, I promise you I was a mess. I talked to my bestfriend and sister everyday. I cried,I prayed, had crazy dreams the whole 9 yards. But try to look at it this way all the pain that you have suffered will be over soon. My visit to the Castle was wonderful my surgical team was so great. And now I'm going on my 9th week I'm not 100% but I'm so much better than I was before Oct. As suggested earlier walking, reading and even a glass of wine if you drink helps a lot. Wish you guys all the luck in the world see you in Post-Op.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register