Anyone NOT bring anything to hospital? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone NOT bring anything to hospital? Anyone NOT bring anything to hospital?

Unread 12-12-2011, 09:13 AM
Anyone NOT bring anything to hospital?

Hi Ladies,

I am scheduled one week from today. Just wondering if anyone did not bother to bring anything to the hospital with them? I will be a 23-hr observation, and thinking I will just be in my hospital gown anyway as it will probably be easier for the doctor/nurses to "check" things.

Besides my chap stick (which I've used daily for 25 years lol) and a few cough drops in my husband's pocket, and the clothes on my back--I'm thinking I'm good to go.

Should I really pack other things, just "in case" I'm there longer? I'm gloriously delusional that I am just going in, having the surgery, will sleep most of the day/night and then go back home, and not really caring if I'm wearing my own nightie or their hospital gown for one night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2011, 09:25 AM
Re: Anyone NOT bring anything to hospital?

Hi LadyLinda - I packed a pair of underwear, chapstick, book, toothbrush, etc into an overnight bag that sat on the chair overnight in my room. Never touched it. There was a hospital toothbrush and toothpaste on the sink for me in the morning (which I used) and I changed back into the clothes I wore to the hospital. Did not need anything (and did not use anything) from the overnight bag.

Good thoughts to you on your upcoming procedure.
beingmaxine
Unread 12-12-2011, 09:35 AM

Clean undies, toothbrush and saline nasal spray. Brushing my teeth felt so good after I woke up. I found the hospital air to be very drying and my sinuses/nose got a bit 'crusty'. I highly recommend a tummy pillow in the car for the ride home.

I stayed 2 nights and was able to shower, so I had toothbrush and paste, deodorant and clean undies. I went home in the clothes I arrived in. I also took a book (which I was too unfocused to read), an abdominal binder that I used only once and my daughter bought me a pillow pet for a tummy pillow that I used on the ride home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2011, 09:59 AM

The things I used the most the first day/night were my chapstick, my toothbrush, my stuffed animal (hubby bought at hospital and was so soft I used it to cuddle with), EAR PLUGS!!! and my Ipad. I also took my facial cleanser and moisterizer which made me feel so much more human in the morning (I have sensitve skin so it gets itchy with regular soap or lack of washing).
Unread 12-14-2011, 09:39 PM

Hi LadyLynda. I packed light and still didn't use most of what I brought. I used my cell phone and my Chapstick. I bought some Aerosole wool slippers with grippers on the bottom and they were awesome. Oh and my pillow pet. But other than that I had no interest in reading or anything like that. I thought I would need ear plugs because I am pretty noise sensitive for sleeping but I didn't care at all even though my roommate snored. Alot. Best of luck!
Unread 12-14-2011, 09:52 PM

My surgery is scheduled for Friday, and my bag is packed. I have my granny panties, tooth brush, toothpaste, lotion, chapstick, and earplugs. I also packed my own night shirt, and footies with grippers. I'm going to get a few magazines to skim through too. I don't think I will be able to concentrate on a book. I'm kinda liking Lokilator's Pillow Pet idea. May have to send my husband out for one of those! lol Good luck with your surgery!
Unread 12-14-2011, 09:58 PM

Hi JuneBug43! I got the pillow pet idea from here and love it. I got the mini one and it is the perfect size. When it is folded you can rest your iv arm on it. And it is a must for the drive home. You will feel every bump on the ride home. Slip it under the seat belt. Hold it close when you cough or laugh. I got the lady bug (for good luck). Good luck in Friday!
Unread 12-15-2011, 10:42 AM

I'm about 6 weeks post op and spent 5 nights in the hospital. I wore their gowns as I had had an iv and your own gown can't be used with an iv in your arm. I brought magazines and a book but could not really focus much those first few days. I was given those slipper socks with the little grips on the bottom and they were awesome. Granny panties are a must. I made the mistake of trying to go home in exercise pants that had a waist band. They were so tight I borrowed my husbands knife and cut the sides so I could stand it. Yoga pants a size too big work better. Slip on shoes too were a lifesaver. I also brought travel size shampoo, conditioner, etc just in case. They were nice to have. My iPod was also nice. I had a nice roommate but she had a big loud family. If you find you need anything the hospital staff is usually pretty good about finding something that will work. Good luck!
Unread 12-15-2011, 11:14 AM

I spent 2 nights in the hospital. I took a few things and used nothing except the clothes to go home in and my toothbrush. I slept 90% of the time.
Unread 12-15-2011, 06:39 PM

Oh my...I'm pretty sure I'll be taking too much stuff to the castle! It's less about clothes and more about comfort items for me.... things like my soft, fuzzy blanket, my pillow that I take everywhere if I'm sleeping overnight, the pillow pet I bought for my sore belly, my chapstick (cannot live without that and lotion, my mp3 player.... I was thinking about taking a lightweight robe and slippers in case i want to walk in the hall. But it will just be overnight so that's probably not necessary. I'm definitely wearing loose yoga pants and granny panties home, though!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register