Anyone NOT bring anything to hospital? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone NOT bring anything to hospital? Anyone NOT bring anything to hospital?

Unread 12-15-2011, 07:29 PM
Re: Anyone NOT bring anything to hospital?

Just an FYI if you are thinking of bringing a blanket and pillow. I ended up with blood on my gown, sheet and pillow. Not from the surgery but from a few of the needles they stuck in my upper arm over the next few days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2011, 08:02 PM

Better to pack something and not use it than be dissapointed because you didn't bring something. The hospital doesn't charge youbfor a large suitcase!
Unread 12-16-2011, 08:25 AM

I am going in on the 20th. I plan on only taking what will fit in my husbands pockets. If I need anything else he can go pick it up for me. Good luck to everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2011, 10:44 AM

I brought my own pillow.... and a small make up bag which I never used.... Not even my hairbrush, I just pulled my hair back and went home.
Unread 12-16-2011, 11:06 AM

i didnt even try to wear clothes i went in hospital with,that swelly belly wouldnt let me into them.get u a nice jogging suit or warm pull string pj bottom and sweatshirt to wear on your journey home
Unread 12-16-2011, 11:06 AM

I brought nothing. I didn't want to be responsible for remembering to bring it back home. Wait, I did bring what I planned to wear home. It just followed me from surgery to my room along with my glasses ( I normally wear contacts). After I was more alert, I had my husband bring me my cell phone so I could catch everyone up on my status. I guarantee you will not miss anything except perhaps your pillow. If you are missing something, have someone bring it to you. Good luck with surgery and recovery.
Unread 12-16-2011, 12:13 PM

I truly believe in bringing more than needed! I stayed 2 nights and glad I did. My meds were all tested and it was reassuring to be with all them nurses. My favorite things were my chapstick, my travel pillow (esp. For the ride home and for laughing---yes I laugh easily and it hurts--but in a good way ) and my iPad. I posted 4 hours after my surgery and then later that night to all my HysterSisters. My vacation cosmetic bag made me feel like I was on vacation so my own soap, shampoo and lotions were there for me. I picked a cute flower robe and walked around in that over my hospital gown. It made me feel less of a mess. The key is to bring things that make you feel comfy and happy. I think starting with as many positive experiences in this scary event ( and yes it is scary but very doable!) helps with recovery. I'm now 5 days post op and down to no meds and feeling pretty good and wouldn't mind going out tonight! Good luck and cyber hugs to you!!
Unread 12-16-2011, 03:26 PM

Well, my list may seem a bit strange, but I am a freak about germs. I just knew I was going to get some flesh eating bacteria that would consume my new and improved uterus-free body. So......
* chapstick that was older, so I could throw it away before going home
* a small zip lock baggie that I put my phone in and just texted with it
in the bag (like I said, GERM A PHOBE!)
* small bottle of my favorite body spray. It is from Bath and Body Works
and it is Eucalyptus/Mint. I actually sprayed it on my pillow and sheets
so that it calmed me, and didn't smell like a hospital. LOVE it!
* I actually brought a pair of low bikini undies. My scars were above
the waist band, and if I would have worn grannies, the top of the
band would have hit my top scar, but that's just me.
* My own maxi pads (2).
* I wore the same clothes to the hospital that I went home in. I was in
a hospital gown within an hour after arriving, which they said would
be the case. They went straight into a clean plastic bag. Also
got a seperate bag for my shoes.....germs, ick!
* Oh, my own small bottle of hand sanitizer, of course!

I did not bring books or magazines. The hospital staff came around with a variety to choose from. I took a magazine and looked at a few pages between morphine pumps. I slept a lot!

Good luck, you will be a new woman soon!
Unread 12-17-2011, 07:44 PM

I had my tah on Nov. 30th and took nothing but the clothes on. I ended up spending 6 days in hospital. So my suggestions pack light just to make sure. Wish you the bet and a speedy recovery.
Unread 12-18-2011, 06:53 PM

I "packed" my phone, book and toothpaste/brush and hair brush. Granny panties and loose drawstring flannel pants to go home in. Had my husband just keep the stuff in the car. Plan for the best, but take a few extras should your stay end up being a little longer than expected. Mine was and I was glad home was only 5 miles away and I had a great hubby!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register