TVH HRT and Smoking???? HELP! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HRT and Smoking???? HELP! HRT and Smoking???? HELP!

Unread 12-12-2011, 09:46 AM
HRT and Smoking???? HELP!

Im driving myself crazy because the Dr wants me start Estadiol patches and I found out by using them and smoking it can be dangerous. Now I know a lot of people are going to say JUST QUIT SMOKING! And of course I should but right now would be really hard . Im almost 5 weeks into my recovery and aside from night sweats that wake me up about 3 x a night drenched and changing my clothes and sheets , Im doing pretty good. But a little stressed. Hince not a good time to quit smoking. My other concern with the HRT is blood clots if your rest a lot, which Im still doing. Im in a real quandary , I want the night sweats to end but Im scared to death to take the patches! I can just see myself freaking out everytime I lay down, thinking is this too long? Should I get up and walk? OMG am I going to have a heart attack if I smoke. Even if that is unrealistic that is what Im going to be thinking! Can anyone help???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2011, 10:37 AM
Re: HRT and Smoking???? HELP!

I was in the same boat as you not long ago.

As far as the blood clots...right now at this point in your recovery, it is a good idea to get up and walk quite often. This not only helps reduce the risk of blood clots, but it also helps with your healing process in other ways. It is just important to not lay in bed all day. If you need to get up and go to the restroom...do that and then go for a short walk. Want a snack? Go get one and then go for a short walk.

As far as the smoking. I am still in the same boat as you. I am on 1.25 mg of Premarin and I am a smoker. I know how hard it is to quit. I didn't have one for the 4 days I was in the hospital after surgery and the worst thing I EVER did was pick that first one up after I got home.

Yes, the easy answer would be to just quit. However, that is easier said than done. Maybe you could speak with your about some kind of stop smoking aid. I actually consider myself lucky because I was put on Wellbutrin after my surgery to help with my emotional issues I was having and it has help me cut down DRASTICALLY!! I used to be a pack a day smoker and now I am only having 3 or 4 cigs a day.....I know too many, but it is a start.

There are also some programs that might be set up in your state. We have a hotline in my state that you can call and get information on quitting smoking.

The hormones are not only needed to make sure you are comfortable. Your body NEEDS estrogen, so going without it for these reasons may not be the best idea. Not having estrogen can actually cause heart disease, increase your chances of a stroke, as well as osteoporosis. It might be a good idea to speak to your doctor about your fears and find out what the best plan of action would be.

to you. I know this is a rough road to be on, but we are all here for you if you need anything. And don't be afraid to communicate your concerns with your doctor.

Unread 12-12-2011, 11:35 AM

Thank you for understanding! I was so affraid the only responses I would get would be just quit! I've been here on the site all morning. Im wondering if there are NATURAL forms of Estrogen? I have a friend who sees a Holistic Dr, not that I want to go that far! I love my Dr, but I wonder if Natural methods work as well? I hate taking meds anyway and have worried about HRT since a few yrs ago a previous Dr put me on Progest. pills and I had a AWFUL time! No-one wanted to be around me! I couldn't even stand my mean self, LOL! I know the estrogen is different and if night sweats are my only problem isn't there something else I can try before going the HRT route? I kept my ovaries and Im hoping they spring to life soon. But for now I just want to end the awful night sweats, BTW even in high doses the Primrose oil did not work. I will be seeing my DR Thursday, but until then I'd like to get some ideas from here to take to her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2011, 12:09 PM

I understand as well. I to am a smoker and taking an HRT. It is an addiction. Not easy I know all too well. Hang in there!
Unread 12-12-2011, 12:22 PM

Thank you! I don't know what I would do with out the wonderful ladies on HYSTER SISTERS! I even gave the extra pamplet and booklet to my Dr and she LOVED them and was going to order them for her patients. Whenever Im scared or worried I come here, read as much as I can, post if I have a question and then when I see the Dr I tell her of all the suggestions I've written down and we go over which are best for me. Thank the lord I found this site!
Unread 12-14-2011, 10:42 PM

Hi Blondie!

I had my ovaries removed on 12/2...just had my post-op appt. today. I discussed hormones with my doctor prior to surgery & he said that we would discuss the hormones further after my surgery. I get to my appt today and realize they have me scheduled with the physician assistant. Everything was going along smoothly until she asked me if I smoked...Yes, I answered & she told me she couldn't give me my hormones because I smoke! That I'm more at risk for stroke, heart attack, blood clots... I started to cry, which I have done a lot of since my surgery. I told her I am not leaving without hormones and that I had already discussed it with the doctor. She made me promise her that I would quit & then wrote me a script for evamist.

What a day! I feel exhausted. I know it is not good to smoke at all, and hormones put us at a higher risk, but I didn't expect to be treated like that. Good grief! Sorry for being long-winded, just thought I'd share my story and let you know you are not alone in the smoking department.

I return to work tomorrow, so I'm hoping these hormones kick in soon. My biggest symptoms have been a horrible headache for 5 straight days & super emotional.

Hugs,

Monica
Unread 12-19-2011, 07:58 PM

I smoke too! I hate this. I bought the book "the easy way to quit smoking" but I haven't even opened it yet. I was in menopause when I had surgery so brain fog, lack of sleep you name it I thought I was going crazy....my ovaries were healthy and I never looked anything up as this doc was my second opinion....I never even thought I would have to take hormones being in menopause. My fsh was 46. Now I must quit smoking because the guilt is killing me. I used to smoke 30 a day now I'm down to about 15 or less. I know how you feel honey....I'm doing a lot of praying too.
Unread 12-19-2011, 08:02 PM

I am not a smoker, but my advice to you would be up front and honest with your doctor and just see if he can give you something to help. I wonder if a really low dose would give you some relief with less risk?
Unread 12-19-2011, 08:35 PM

I'm really torn as to how to reply to my smoking sisters. On the one hand, I'm not opposed to smoking or people who choose to smoke. Also, I'm glad to hear you are up front about smoking. It's a choice, it's not illegal, it's a perfectly fine form of relaxation for some. And, as far as the down side of smoking goes, I'm sure each of us has an equally unhealthy thing we do-overeating, not exercising, weight issues etc. On the other hand, I cannot make my mind understand how a smoker chooses a cigarette over hot flashes/night sweats, the hormonal mood swings, the brain stupor that comes from no estrogen. This is a very black and white choice. Quit smoking and take HRT, continue smoking and take HRT, or continue smoking and no HRT. All are personal choices-I just don't know how a smoker can complain about the choice she makes. The risks are documented and no same person will tell you it's medically okay to smoke on HRT. You choose to smoke therefore, you lose the right to complain about your hormonal situation. I truly say this without judgement to my sisters. I wish you good luck and a peaceful road in the future.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register