Can I even take any hormones if I couldn't handle BC pill? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can I even take any hormones if I couldn't handle BC pill? Can I even take any hormones if I couldn't handle BC pill?

Unread 12-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Can I even take any hormones if I couldn't handle BC pill?

I suffer from horrible migraines and have not been able to handle BC pills even in the past when I was y ounger as it increased the headaches and they are the type that make you just wish you were dead literally, so i am terrified about any hormones causing them, but I think I've also read on here that some women get headaches before the hormones so I am very confused!

I also am afraid to be like my mom who never did hormones is very unstable, moody, and has had no sex in apx 25 years post surgery-I do NOT want to be like that!

I wish our Dr.'s would discuss this with us before post op so I can make a better educated decision-he has never mentioned hormones, and I didn't think of it until someone asked me and then I started reading on here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2011, 12:23 PM
Re: Can I even take any hormones if I couldn't handle BC pill?

It IS confusing isn't it! I had my TAH back in 1987 and didn't realize there would be any issues with taking hormones. My Dr. just said I'd feel exactly as I had before the surgery. I had 1 ovary removed with the TAH. My 1 little lone ovary sputtered along for a couple of years and then they had to take it too. I was just about 30 at the time.

I also could NOT take birth control pills. My headaches were awful! My first run with HRT after my surgery was oral Estrace. I was on it for 17 years and never once (nor did my Dr.) correlate the migraines to my estrogen. It wasn't until 8 years ago when I decided to hop on the compounded cream BHRT bandwagon that I discovered that my headaches were worsened by the oral once a day replacement. I've since moved onto the patch. If my hormone levels are kept fairly level, I don't get the migraines. It's so wonderful! There are so many different vehicles to replace the hormones and many different doses.

Your sex life doesn't have to end. The hormones DO help! You will have to work with your Dr. to find out your unique hormone needs. Do expect that you will go through an adjustment period while your body settles into it's new "normal".

Good luck on your surgery. Wishing you a speedy recovery:-)
Unread 12-12-2011, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm just so terrified of more migraines and also being like my mom post op. I think I am more scared of hormonal issues than I am the actual surgery at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2011, 01:20 PM

Hi Kathy,
I sure understand your concerns! I was very lucky in that I was introduced to bio-identical hormones just as I was going into menopause 7 years ago. I've been receiving bio-identical in pellet form, implanted in my hip every 3 to 4 months. I tried cream form briefly, but did not care for the results and i just didn't like all the work that went along with it. Bio-identical hormones have been a God-send. The pellets release the amount of hormone as my body needs it. My headaches and body aches go away, my libido is strong, I have more energy and mental clarity. And I'm just happier! My boyfriend can tell when my pellet gets low before I even notice . I was receiving Estrediol and testosterone pellets. For some reason, my body began producing Estrediol again and I only receive testosterone pellets.

I had the DaVinci laporascopic total hysterectomy on Nov. 30., kept ovaries. It's not been an easy recovery but I am extremely sensitive, so I'm not surprised. I'm inching my way to wellness!

If you don't get the answers you want from your doctor, look around! Do your research on hormones. My sex life is better than ever and I feel remarkably better with BRHT. Even my skin improved.

All the best to you! You're on the right path, as we are SO much more fortunate in what is available to us women today.

Warmly,
Linda
Unread 12-12-2011, 01:25 PM

Btw... I was never able to take birth control pills! Even the mildest ones made me extremely ill, even to the point of passing out. There are great options available to you
Unread 12-12-2011, 03:57 PM

I had this same questionand did not get a good answer prior to my surgery. I had so many bad symptoms within two week so surgery, I went to the estrogen patch (no ovaries). I had not made up my mind ahead of time because the information is SO confusing.
I never could tolerate the pill. It made me puffy, emotional, prone to acne, and had nausea. I had never had a migraine prior to my surgery, but on day 7 as my estrogen levels were pretty much gone - I got a whopper.

I am not someone who has a lot of knowledge about this either and was interested in your post. My doc = and research I have read - said the same thing as E2Me2 - that if your levels are nice and even - no headaches. He thinks mine came on because of the levels dropping so fast and nothing coming back "online"

Good luck, I look forward to your posts, we all learn from each other!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register