Feeling SO GUILTY about finances while I am recovering! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Feeling SO GUILTY about finances while I am recovering! Feeling SO GUILTY about finances while I am recovering!

Unread 12-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Feeling SO GUILTY about finances while I am recovering!

We have no savings so we will just be short money that I normally bring in while I recover. Husband has asked about this and mentioned concernes which makes me feel bad and guilty. I have arranged for our church to bring us home cooked dinners several nights weekly while I am recovering-this will feed our entire family and save on food money. I can't think of much more to do. We are already a pay check to pay check household.

So I'm full of guilt and stress to the max. I told husband he can leave the hospital and go to work after my surgery is over adn I have woken up as we need the money so badly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2011, 02:25 PM
Re: Feeling SO GUILTY about finances while I am recovering!

I understand your concerns. However, you can't feel guilty for taking care of your health. If you don't get this surgery now, your situation will get worse and you would probably miss more time from work if that happened. When you are healthy you will be able to care for your family the way you need to. What a blessing your church family is pitching in with meals. You may not see how but I am sure the finances will work out. Not saying it won't be a struggle but the long run will be better than how things look today. {{{hugs}}}
Unread 12-12-2011, 02:33 PM

I understand the guilt. We own our own business but it does not make enough to support us. Ihave always been the main breadearner for our family. For the last few years I have been so sick I have not been able to work.

I also know that if I don't have this surgery I'll never have the energy to go back to work and support us. I feel guilty too but there is nothing I can do about it except to move forward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2011, 02:47 PM

My husband and I farm and right now I do not have an off-farm job. When I did, I was fortunate enough to have a job where I could just quickly and easily duck into the bathroom when I needed to. If I did have an off-farm job now, I would likely have to take 'sick' days with ever increasing frequency, which wouldn't make me a very good employee. And honestly, there is down time with the farming, too, due to my physical condition. It comes down to timing with the farm work and my cycles, but my periods weren't getting any better. I think I'm more often than not bleeding these days and sometimes heavily.

So we have to take some time off now, but it'll save taking time away from work later.

No guilt. Your health is the main thing, you can't do a whole lot more without it.
Unread 12-12-2011, 04:00 PM

I'm right there with you Kathy,

I'm self employed and was afraid to take time off for surgery and recovery - afraid of the reduced income we couldn't afford, afraid of potentially missing out on a lucrative contract, ..... BUT, eventually my health issues started taking their toll on my business. Pain, severe bleeding, anemia and migraines put me out of commission and unable to meet with clients more and more often and reduced my productivity. The stress from the combination of financial and health concerns was also having an affect on my ability to function.

NOW? Several clients have said they can wait for me to recover and get back on my feet. I even landed a new contract last week from a new client who said he isn't in a big hurry and to take my time.

Also - I'm feeling so much better than I have in ages - my energy and mood are up and I have to remind myself regularly that I still have lifting and activity restrictions. I've been able to sit at my desk and work more than anticipated and my stress level is greatly reduced. I hope that in a couple of weeks more I will be cleared to resume all normal activities, and I can focus on work without the health distractions.

I do not know the problems you have had that lead you to make the decision to have a hysterectomy, but obviously they are bad enough that you are taking this dramatic step. Listen to your body and take care of yourself first - the rest will fall into place eventually.
Unread 12-12-2011, 04:14 PM

I know exactly How u feel Kathy Coz I'm a single mom with 3 teenagers and a mortgage to pay. Almost a Month off from the tah That I wished to God Didn't got screwed up. On my two weeks post op I developed a hematoma That made me go back to the hospital. Surgery again and Stayed for 5 days. Doctor want me This stay home for another month which no way I can afford. I know I'm stressing myself about it but Its Just hard to ignore it either.
  Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy1970 View Post
We have no savings so we will just be short money that I normally bring in while I recover. Husband has asked about this and mentioned concernes which makes me feel bad and guilty. I have arranged for our church to bring us home cooked dinners several nights weekly while I am recovering-this will feed our entire family and save on food money. I can't think of much more to do. We are already a pay check to pay check household.

So I'm full of guilt and stress to the max. I told husband he can leave the hospital and go to work after my surgery is over adn I have woken up as we need the money so badly.
Unread 12-12-2011, 04:24 PM

Does the company you work for have medical leave? Some places will continue to pay their workers at least for a few weeks while they are recovering from a major medical event. Some companies will also allow you to use paid vacation time that might help keep a paycheck for a couple of extra weeks.

I think we all suffer setbacks from time to time, and for me it usually means soup and sandwiches for a while, ;-) We just do what we have to do. Please don't stress too much about this. Your health is very important at this time.
Unread 12-12-2011, 05:15 PM

I agree with everyone else, in that your health is more important. I also believe that sometimes things just fall into place and you will be fine. Don't feel guilty!!
Unread 12-12-2011, 05:22 PM

My company will pay u if u Had short term disability plan which I Don't Have. Used all my vacation time Already
Just Gonna try to call mortgage company if They could waive a month due to me Not working and no money coming. My kids understand we Ain't Gonna Have Xmas This year. Told them its I.o.u.
  Quote:
Originally Posted by WynterSnow View Post
Does the company you work for have medical leave? Some places will continue to pay their workers at least for a few weeks while they are recovering from a major medical event. Some companies will also allow you to use paid vacation time that might help keep a paycheck for a couple of extra weeks.

I think we all suffer setbacks from time to time, and for me it usually means soup and sandwiches for a while, ;-) We just do what we have to do. Please don't stress too much about this. Your health is very important at this time.
Unread 12-12-2011, 05:58 PM

Bless your heart! I can understand what you're going through all too well. I'm married with five children at home... and super scared as to how we're going to cover all of our bills for the six weeks that I can't go to work. Try calling all of your creditors and let them know that you're having surgery and will be out of work, they may let you pay a little extra once you return to work, so that you can get by while you're recovering. That's what I'm working on this week anyway. Good luck to you! I'll keep you in my prayers!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register