14 days to go and I have ?s | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

14 days to go and I have ?s 14 days to go and I have ?s

Unread 12-12-2011, 05:42 PM
14 days to go and I have ?s

I am having a TAH for unexplained post-menopausal bleeding. My doc has advised an epidural. He said I can be awake or twilight sleep. I'm thinking not being awake is a good idea. Thoughts?
Also I have a bit of a tummy. Would it be good to do some sit-ups for the next 2 weeks, or will that make soreness even worse?
I've heard baths mentioned on here. I like showers. Is there a reason baths are good?
What is the best way to manouver up and out of bed after without asking for help every time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2011, 05:55 PM
Re: 14 days to go and I have ?s

Hi Britecolor,
When I had my hyst. I was under General Anesthesia. I didn't know anything until the nurse woke me up in recovery. I can tell you I myself wouldn't have wanted to be awake for my hyst., but that is me. Talk to your doctor if you don't feel comfortable being awake ask him to have the anesthesiologist to put you all the way under. I like baths because it's soothing for my pain. Not sure if that is what you were talking about? I always had my dh with me after every surgery, but I did find that holding a pillow against my stomach was very helpful getting up, and down after surgery. And walking around to. I'm wishing you the best of luck during your surgery, and in recovery. Big Hugs to you!!!!!
Unread 12-12-2011, 06:03 PM

dear britecolor i would suggest lite exercise,my doc said the more in shape yr in the better but it s up to u.you better get put to sleep.you'll need help getting in and out of bed.get a heating padand an extension cord.unplug your phone.get books.do all of your laundry up.i had trouble with coughing and sneezing,it hurts-have small pillow for that.you'll need some help for a few days even its justduring the day.dont be stupid like me and not take stool softners(i didnt know to take)good luck but get put to sleep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2011, 06:17 PM

I was offered an epidural for surgery but I definitely wanted general anaesthesia. I didnt want to hear them talking about what they were doing down there. Baths are a no-no post op until your doctor clears you. Showers only. I didn't have much trouble getting in and out of bed. You'll have to experiment and see what works for you. Make sure you take stool softeners post op and gas x for all the gas pain. Wishing you well.
Unread 12-12-2011, 11:25 PM

Britecolor, I was put to sleep, but that is up to you and depends on your comfort level. For getting out of bed, I would roll over on my side and use the head board for support and gently pull myself up. The nurse showed me this technique while in the hospital. Because even if you are married or live with someone, unless you are a conjoined twin there will be times when you are at home alone...........so that was an excellent question! Wishing you a successful surgery and healthy recovery!
Unread 12-13-2011, 01:41 AM

I had an epidural and was right out, apparently it makes recovery easier...and mine has been pretty good no gas pains what so ever.
Unread 12-13-2011, 03:28 AM

@britecolor- I had to be under general anethesia. My doctor didn't give me a choice. I was terrified because i have never been "put out" before. It went great and now I agree with most here, that you will probably want to be asleep. I think people are suggesting baths to help relax prior to your surgery. After your surgery, it's no baths until doc. says so. I just tried to stay busy and not dwell too much on the surgery. They gave me some relaxing, feel good medicine before they took me into the o.r. That medicine was so good, I wouldn't have cared if they had rolled me through the hospital nude. LOL Best of wishes to you.
Unread 12-13-2011, 06:59 AM

britecolor,

In regards to your sit-up question. My suggestion would be to focus more on pelvic floor type exercises rather than abdominal exercises such as sit-ups. Hysterectomies can weaken your pelvic floor (the muscles that hold your bladder, vagina, and rectum in place) and sit-ups are really not good for your pelvic floor muscles at all.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register