Magnesium Citrate bowel prep | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Magnesium Citrate bowel prep Magnesium Citrate bowel prep

Unread 12-13-2011, 03:34 PM
Magnesium Citrate bowel prep

I was so worried about doing the bowel prep today that I didn't sleep at all last night. So many people have said how horrible it tastes (and I have a terrible gag reflex with things that my taste buds don't like) and that the constant sitting on the toilet makes your bum hurt. Well, there's no turning back now! I just finished off my first bottle of Magnesium Citrate and have an hour or so before I need to take the second one. I must say, it didn't taste all that bad! I highly recommend the lime flavor. It reminded me a little of 7up. The other bottle I got is cherry. I hope it goes down as easy. The doc never told me how long it takes for this stuff to start working. Anyone else use this method of bowel prep that might be able to tell me an estimation of how long it took for it to start working for you? I've got both bathrooms stocked with flushable baby wipes and magazines for entertainment so when it does kick in I'm prepared! Wish me luck! LOL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Re: Magnesium Citrate bowel prep

I only had to have one bottle. I drank it at six and didn't go until morning. It was a fun 2 hours though! In pre op I told them before they drugged me I was going one more time!
Unread 12-13-2011, 04:57 PM

I also had an LSH and only had to do one bottle. Frankly, i would worry with two that you are still going in the morning. I drank mine at 10 am and kept "going" even when it was clear, until about 9pm.

Good luck tomorrow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2011, 05:10 PM

All I can say is this stinks!!!!! Worst thing I've ever had to do! It definitely didn't take long to get things going. I pray I'm not still going like this all night and into the morning. They want me to drink lots of fluids and stay hydrated, but every time I put anything in one end, something comes out the other end. Blah!
Unread 12-13-2011, 06:02 PM

It took 4 hours after taking the magnesium citrate for it to start with me. It's no fun, but since your body reacted early, I hope the process winds down earlier. Everyone's body seems to react differently. It's important to stay hydrated, particularly if you have a order not to eat/drink anything within a certain number of hours before surgery. Sorry this wasn't a restful prep, but best wishes for the surgery!
Unread 12-13-2011, 06:46 PM

I only had to take one bottle. I took it at 4pm the evening before my surgery, it took 2 hours for it to kick in and once it did, I was going every 30 minutes or so. The next morning, as I was getting ready to go to the hospital for the surgery, I was still going.
I can't imagine having to take 2 bottles.

Well wishes to you
Unread 12-13-2011, 08:06 PM

Oh my gosh...I feel your pain...I only had to drink one 10 oz bottle of lemon magnesium citrate at noon and then take 4 osmoprep pills every 15 minutes starting at 4pm for a total of 20 pills...

I have a horrible gag reflex (I can't take liquid medication even) but someone told me to put it in the fridge to make it really cold and then to drink it through a straw...The straw helps to get the flavor past your taste buds and directly to the back of your throat...Boy did that help...(I also put the drink in a freezer cup and made it slushy)

Not fun but I did get through it!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register