Not Scheduled Will a hysterectomy change my personality? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will a hysterectomy change my personality? Will a hysterectomy change my personality?

Unread 12-14-2011, 06:40 PM
Will a hysterectomy change my personality?

Hi I'm thiry years old, found out on my monday that I will be needing a total hysterectomy because of endometrious. I know there will be many changes in my life after the hysterectomy but the one Im scared most about it not being "me" after. I like to think of myself as a good person. I can be a little to sensetive sometimes and do get hurt easily. My mom had a hysterectomy at 27 she refused HRT and my dad said it forever changed her. Will this happen to me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2011, 06:55 PM
Re: Will a hysterectomy change my personality?

i had stage 4 endo.i had a TAH kept ovaries.has yours spread to ovaries?could u at least keep one?my om and both aunts when they had their hysterectomies automatically got ovaries took out.they are all high-strung but anyways they all did HRT and they were all fine.my doc wanted to save ovaries cause he said why take them out if there's nothing wrong with them.there was nothing hopefully on ovaries rite now we are doing a wait-in-see.my mom said with HRT that she was a lot more energetic than with her natural hormones.everyone is different but if you have got to have surgery you gotta do it.i would get 2nd opinion before i let them take ovaries out.i had to sign a piece of paper stating i was letting my doc make the final decision but he said my endo stopped rite before ovaries.good luck,post and let me know what u decide
Unread 12-14-2011, 07:07 PM

The pain is overwhelming in my ovaries mostly the right side and lower back. I have had endo since I was about 14. I get cysts to the the ovaries and once on the uterus, doc thinks its better just to take everything. Luckily I hadn't planned on having any more children. I just worried with the emotional pain I may have afterward. I have been with my OB/GYN for 16 years and trust him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2011, 08:00 PM

i still would get 2nd opinion my doctor told me that u can get osteoporosis and a lot bad stuff without ovaries but u wont get all that stuff if u get put on HRT.he's just one of those doctors that just doesnt believe in taking out something if there's nothing wrong with it.but this is your choice.i have been reading a lot of women that got ovaries took out being really emotional and everything.he mite not wanted me to be on the HRT where i smoke too.i am 37 and i am hoping i wont have to have them removed because he didnt paint a pretty picture for me if he took them out.i am just letting you know what his opinion is and he was so convincing that i agree with him.i have had 2 friends one left ovaries one didnt.they are both happy with their decisions they personally made.my doctor kept stressing my age and your just 27,you're 10 years younger than me.he just scared me into everything that could happen if he took them out.i am also small-boned.what's your bone-structure?
Unread 12-14-2011, 08:35 PM

Im 30, my mom was 27 when she had her's. We discussed leaving the left one, but he said the endo would still attack it and we'd be removing that one too in time. I have three kids 11, 3, and 1. I cant imagine having to go back and fourth with surgries. I have been in constant pain for 6weeks, tylenol,motrin and vicodin are not even helping. I think im ok with the idea of losing everything, even my cervix. I just dont want to lose "me"

Im also worried about my emotional state after. I count my blessing that the hysterectomy in some way is my choice and not being made for me with cancer. I have my family, but I'm scared the HRT will make me moody or short with them.
Unread 12-14-2011, 08:38 PM

Im average gained some weight in the last four years with marriage and two more kids lol but I of average height, maybe a tad on the short side depending who im standing next too
Unread 12-14-2011, 09:11 PM

look thru the different threads that this website has.i read some yesterday about this decision you're gonna have to make.my really good friend left 1 ovary but had a TAH 29 years ago (she's 55 now)she told me they left it to help her go thru the change and that it would help.but she told me the doctor she just went to said it had just did its job and it had just about shriveled completely up.she said she doesnt even feel like she's ever went thru the "change"now that mite be an option too.but i would look back thru different threads cause someone has just posted basically the same question u are asking.all this time off work i have been scanning this website and its just filled with more info than anyone has gave me.let me know what u decide.about bone-structure,doc told me the smaller bone structure u have increases osteoporosis w/o ovaries.post that question that way u get a whole lot different women's opinions thats already had it done
Unread 12-14-2011, 09:21 PM

lol Im still learning how to naviagate this site, only been a memeber for 10 hours...Im trying not to google these questions because im sure you know the results Id get. lol

Im trying not to make a hasty decesion, and sometimes think im being selfish, or a whimp because I cant take the pain. We had spoken about a hyster when my pain got bad, he said he wasnt comfortable leaving an ovary because of my history. I havent really done my homework on the HRT but doc said it he does his job my body wont even know the difference.

How long should i expect the suregry to take?? Im sure they will tell me lol I have an allergy to the anasthesia so will def be spending at least 24 hours in the hosp
Unread 12-15-2011, 06:27 AM

are they talking about doing yours thru your belly button,vaginal ,or abdominal?my doc said both belly button and vaginal are 2 week recovery but the more threads i read women are staying down with both of these for at least 3-4 weeks.before doctor did my abdominal he told me 4 weeks but my 4 weeks post op was monday and i tried waiting tables this past saturday and opened part of my incision site up.not a big piece (it went back together) so i cant try to work for another 2 weeks.but i had tubes took out ,cervix,uterus,and a partial omendectomy.i have heard women say davinci is best but doctor really wanted to see exactly what was causing me so much pain thats the reason he cut my stomach.have u had any c-sections?if so the abdominal feels a lot like that but worse.i'm not trying to scare you but no one let me know what to expect besides doc.i went to this awful hospital and my doctor told me more info than anybody at hospital
Unread 12-15-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cic32 View Post
lol Im still learning how to naviagate this site, only been a memeber for 10 hours...Im trying not to google these questions because im sure you know the results Id get. lol

Im trying not to make a hasty decesion, and sometimes think im being selfish, or a whimp because I cant take the pain. We had spoken about a hyster when my pain got bad, he said he wasnt comfortable leaving an ovary because of my history. I havent really done my homework on the HRT but doc said it he does his job my body wont even know the difference.

How long should i expect the suregry to take?? Im sure they will tell me lol I have an allergy to the anasthesia so will def be spending at least 24 hours in the hosp
depends TAH -48HOURS THE OTHERS ARE LESS TIME IN HOSPITAL,I HAD BAD CHOKING REACTION TO ANESTHESIA IT WENT AWAY BY 3RD WEEK HOME.I HAD TO GET MY SON TO GET ME UNCHOKED,IT WAS AWEFUL

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register