SAH 6 wks today help DR saying issues not from hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 wks today help DR saying issues not from hysterectomy 6 wks today help DR saying issues not from hysterectomy

Unread 12-15-2011, 11:25 AM
6 wks today help DR saying issues not from hysterectomy

hi Ladies please reassure me
Just back from my 6 wk check and doctor just listened to me with no examination at all. Told me none of my issues are from the hysterectomy. Only gave me another appointment in 4 wks time because I wasnt happy.
I had SAH so both ovaries left, I did think at 4.5 wks out I had a mini period. I am walking 2 miles per day but not doing much more than pottering about the rest of the time.
At 5 weeks I had an infection in my wound which is still sore.
The rest of my issues I thought are just a matter of time as being hormone issues. Doctor today said no none of these are hormonal, I have night sweats, insomnia, crying over nothing, hair is much thinner, cognative behaviour is nonexistant with totally no memory. The doctor said this was just result of stress!!! What are you all experiencing with ovaries?
I also am very sore and uncomfortable which the doctor said was not due to the hysterectomy but my IBS including my huge swollen belly. My whole bottom of stomach is sore in different places each day. I also still find having a wee still uncomfortable which the doctor said was strange and had no answer for.
I went to the appointment feeling that I just would take alittle more time to heal but came out despondent and no surprise but crying and couldnt control it. Hoping that some of you are going to tell me you had similar experience and got better and i am just normal and healing. Sorry for ranting and I think I would have felt better if I had been examined.
Jane x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2011, 11:46 AM
Re: 6 wks today help DR saying issues not from hysterectomy

I'm no doctor, but I'm surprised to hear that your doctor thinks what you are describing could have nothing to do with your hysterectomy. Even though you kept your ovaries, does not mean that you will not experience some menopause symptoms. Sometimes it takes awhile for the ovaries to "wake up" after this type of surgery and some women find that theirs never wakes up and have had to be put on some sort of HRT.

I would personally recommend contacting another doctor...maybe your GP could help with this issue??? I had the same symptoms you describe, but had both of my ovaries removed, so I knew it was menopause.

I'm a little surprised you did not have a physical/internal exam at your 6 week check up, but maybe they do things differently in the UK? I had an exam at 4, 6, and again at 8 weeks and was not released from my restrictions until then.

Hopefully some other sisters can help out on this, but I just find if very odd that he is completely dismissing your problems. with everything and take care of yourself!
Unread 12-15-2011, 12:08 PM

I am one week post-op with one ovary left and I have encountered 2 night sweats...in a row. My doctor told me to expect some menopause-like symptoms, as my ovary might be "asleep" for awhile. She stated that we would revisit any issues, if not severe, at 3 months to see if it would "wake up" and get to work. If not, we could start thinking about a little hormone addition to give it a boost. I'm sorry you are experiencing so much...our bodies truly do go through a lot during a hyster and I hope you find relief, as your symptoms do sound related (although I'm no doctor) and severe. Best wishes to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2011, 01:30 PM

I agree with Traeleigh
Ovaries left in doesn't mean you won't experience some hormone changes. Frankly I think you need to get another doctor's opinion. The doc should have performed an examine to ensure everything was healing according to plan and also to rule out that nothing else was going on.

Best of luck and hang in there - but please do follow up with another doc if possible.
Unread 12-15-2011, 02:47 PM

Hi Jane, I had a TAH and kept my ovaries, but in my case, that meant nothing. They stopped working and my symptoms were pretty awful - night sweats, hot flashes, brain fog, crabby attitude, crying, acne, massive hair loss, etc. My Dr kind of chuckled when I said I felt like a lunatic, but ran blood work. She was surprised to see my estrogen level non-existent since she left my ovaries. I wasn't surprised, I felt like [email protected]!! Vivelle-dot is helping a lot although we're still working on the strength and managing my symptoms. If your current Dr won't help you, get help elsewhere - I'm no Dr, but your symptoms sound like menopause and they're causing stress, not from it! Good luck, hang in there!
Unread 12-15-2011, 03:24 PM

I too kept my ovaries and I have had terrible night sweats for the last week! I have no memory, am flushed and hot several times during the day. I feel worn out and very hormonal. I told my dr today and she just brushed it off like it is nothing. I hope it goes away or I will get a 2nd opinion
Unread 12-15-2011, 04:53 PM

I agree with the others. I think its totally related! I kept my ovaries but have been dealing with depression, sobbing for no reason, etc. It's slowly getting better so I think things are waking up. Good luck, its rough! I hope you feel better soon.
Unread 12-16-2011, 06:08 AM

Thank you so much ladies for your help.
After reading this site I thought I was just still healing but the DR made me feel I should be ok now.
Now I feel so much better after reading your posts
Jane x
Unread 12-16-2011, 06:33 AM

Jane, do you have the option for a second opinion? Have you had blood tests done to determine what your hormone levels are (and do have them check thyroid as well)...?
Unread 12-16-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SozoSister View Post
Jane, do you have the option for a second opinion? Have you had blood tests done to determine what your hormone levels are (and do have them check thyroid as well)...?
Hi no he didn't examine me or take blood but I have another appointment in 4 weeks time. I will ask for tests then if I'm no better including thyroid.
Unfortunately I have no option for a different consultant.
I am going to hang in there and hope that it gets better as some have posted.
It has got a little better each week it's only slight though.
No one else seems to still find having a wee uncomfortable.
Jane

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register