totally discouraged... :( - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

totally discouraged...   :( totally discouraged... :(

Unread 12-16-2011, 09:13 AM
Re: totally discouraged... :(

i know i havent been an active member of my family for probably 2 years,yes,i worked everyday but that took every bit of my energy and a lot of my niceness completely out.i complained to my hubby continuously and he's a patient man.i am lucky he's like that or we probably would've been divorced.but he sucked as my nurse though.i told him that too.he gave me the sorriest baths ever but he's stuck right by me thruout all of my very bad periods.i cant wait to be completely healed life will be good again.us,women,are the backbone behind each family.if we are fractured it shows thruout our families.i do know what u mean though,i wanted mine done a.s.a.p. and i have no patience either.what kind of surgery are u having?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2011, 09:21 AM

Hugs to you! I was going to say the same thing about pig valves being amazing life-savers. Try to think of it as better something God-created and natural than man-made chemicals.

My surgery is 10 days away and it is very normal to have freak out feelings before something so major. The only other time I've had surgery in my life was tonsils out when I was a little girl. Who cares if I'm 45, I'm askeeered! lol BUT like others have said, I realize I am the only one in control of my emotions and I can either let them go crazy or I can do something different. For me, reading and educating myself is way less stressful than going into the land of what-if's. I like to be organized and prepared, so I'm spending my pre-op time setting up my recovery area at home, getting my house in order, treating myself to maid service for two months and reading up on the boards here.

Something else you might really benefit from are relaxation CD's. I just treated myself to a selection of relaxation, subliminal healing, pain relief, and soothing anti-anxiety CD's from Amazon (thank you Prime overnight shipping, lol). I'm getting myself a small CD player and earbuds and bringing them with me to the hospital (I've read some women have even been able to listen to them during surgery/recovery room). If you go to Amazon and search you'll find lots to choose from with plenty of reviews to help you decide, plus listening samples on most of them.

Hang in there and when you start to have anxious thoughts, picture them inside balloons that you release to the sky. The visualize picking huge beautiful blooms, each one filled with an image of your new pain-free and healthy life! Choose something exciting and new to try after you are healed - I bought a pair of Sketchers Shape Ups and am going to enjoy some new fitness video games in a few months!

You're not alone and you WILL be okay!
Unread 12-16-2011, 09:25 AM

hello sisters.
i never played the waiting game. i met my doctor in may, and got a call june 1, asking me to come in the next day!!
i'm 28 now, 18mths post-op. i suffered endo and cystist since the age 12. i'm glad i had it done.
those of you waiting, be strong. you have made the right decision for you!
good luck and take care!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2011, 09:31 AM

they say it's good to have questions written down.. I am really uncomfortable and can't do the things I want to do. I have an appointment on the 4th of Jan. for Q&A and the doctors will give me more information then too. The operations will be back to back. So getting both done and over with is a good thing. I can't see how anyone would not be afraid about surgery. But there are some super strong people here. Kudoe's to them Me I am a total scardy cat!! and it's at 2:15pm in the afternoon. So I will be doing anything to keep my mind busy. It's just a fact that I am going to start to cry when I get there. When it's over,,I can get on with daily life. How do you mentally & emotionally prepare? I guess it's attitude...." Get er' Done "
Unread 12-17-2011, 12:12 AM

Hey Sassylass,

I understand completely what you are going through. I have the same surgery date and the wait has been horrific. It has gotten so bad that not only have I been in brutal, deathly pain. I had to leave work Oct 20 and the anxiety and depression kicked in. It felt like a dark tunnel with no light to be found! my Dr gave me some meds to deal with the depression and anxiety. It has helped me rid my head of bad thoughts and helped build my mental strength.

Above the drugs to keep my sanity there has been something that has worked for me and hopefully it may help you. Whenever it feels like I can't go any further I lay on my bed, close my eyes, take deep breaths and with each breath I say "CALM,RELAX and RELEASE" over and over till i feel some ease. Once I have calmed myself down I self talk myself into remembering the positives in my life and knowing that after Jan 9 I will NEVER EVER feel this way again!

We are done with the suffering, soon we will be healing!!
Unread 12-17-2011, 07:42 AM

Thank you Tanya, & Js- I am about to go see the dr. for something to help with the panic attacks.. or atleast counseling. I love in CO. so there is lots of sunshine and getting outside usually helps. just think of how good it is going to be to have it over with and on the road to recovery. I read all the pre-op hysterectomy articles, and that helped too. Everyone here that has replyed has been so helpfull. We will be okay, I just love all the little happy faces they cheer me up too. We are only human, and what we feel is natural,,,,not fun,,,but natural.
Unread 12-17-2011, 07:59 AM

The waiting for surgery is the hardest part...the surgery itself was a snap...especially once they put the relaxing stuff in your IV...you are willing to go with them anywhere.

The nurses, anesthesiologist, and your surgeon will take super good care of your prior to your surgery and after...they were amazing taking care of me!!

You will be amazed how quickly it all goes by...especially the surgery...you will not have any concept of the time...it is like...they relax you...then they are immediately waking you up.

Just take some deep breaths...enjoy the holidays...and visit here often...you will soon be on the other side of the surgery and then will be free from all the pain and suffering that has caused you to be here in the first place.
Unread 12-17-2011, 10:37 AM

I went into my tvh, mesh sling, and posterior repair on blind faith for the most part. Found so much info here on this site that I couldn't think of any questions for my doctor. It has been 4 days since surgery and I'm fine. Well, of course, recovering and moving slower.
I thank God it's 2011 and not years earlier. Medicine has come a long way. I was actually sound asleep before being wheeled into the OR. Before that, 3 seperate anesthesiogists came to ask me questions and double check that they had covered everything. I felt so comfortable.
Surgery is like flying. It makes ppl nervous cause it's not something they do every day. Once it's over you will wonder why you were so afraid. Keep your chin up and don't allow yourself to focus on negatives. There is lots to be said for positive thinking, positive words, and positive prayers.
May God bless you and give you peace.
Unread 12-17-2011, 10:40 AM

All of you ladies stay strong and know you'll be okay. I am only 43 years old and have had 2 major surgeries. The dr's doing those surgeries told my husband and family that I shouldn't be alive. That is pretty scary to hear, when you have 2 young children. One of the surgeries was cancer no one knew I had. Now I am going on my third surgery for this year on Dec 28. I have not felt good since Feb of this year and hoping this surgery will take care of half the pain. It's okay to be scared but try to enjoy the holidays as much as you can and I will be praying for all of you. I believe in guardian ANGELS and know I'll be okay because my mom became an angel last year and will look out for all of us.
Unread 12-17-2011, 10:50 AM

Wow, you guys are sooo sweet.. Thank you I feel better with others sharing their experiences, and then I know what to expect. I am having a hysterctomy and a mesh sling tacked to my tail bone for bladder leaks, I have prolaps. I am 53 so I have no mentral cycle anymore. This just happened. Looking forward to that "relaxing stuff" in the IV. and waking up. Thank you everyone. I believe in Gardian Angels too.. mine is my mom. Thank you for the positive thoughts and comments.. I read them every chance I get. As Jan 9th aproaches I will lean on these words of encouragement. Thank you.
Taking deep breaths I think I will go to amazon and get a cd for healing. good idea thanks
I have seen the huge Machine they use with the Di Vince method...should'nt of done that. ha ha :s.
My husband will take some time off, he's a pretty good "Nurse Nancy"

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register