Blood transfusions???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Blood transfusions???? Blood transfusions????

Unread 12-27-2001, 07:57 AM
Blood transfusions????

Did anyone have to have a blood transfusion? My doctor here in Canada says it is not necessary but I wonder---what if something goes wrong and I hemorrhage? Has anyone here saved their own blood to have on hand for surgery? Am I worrying about it too much? I'm sure my surgery will be "routine". My uterus is prolapsed, but I have no tumours, fibroids, or endo. How would one go about doing it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2001, 08:13 AM
Sue M.

I saved one unit of blood in case of tranfusion that was not used. I'm glad I did it, but I'm also glad I didn't do the suggested 2 units of blood - ha!
My DR said I lost 50mg of blood total in my surgery. I'm sure everyone is different. I'd go with what my doctor felt comfortable with. Good luck!
Lisa E.
Unread 12-27-2001, 08:14 AM
Blood transfusions????

I don't think you're worrying too much. It isn't very common to need a blood transfusion, but then again, I suppose you never know what will happen. I had serious hemorrhaging during my last c-section, because of my adhesions, and I'm very concerned about having the same problem this time. Depending on when your surgery is, it would be safest to donate your own blood, just ask your doctor about it. I asked mine, but because my surgery was only 2 weeks away at the time, he said that I would certainly need a transfusion if I donated it then (because my body wouldn't have ample time to rebuild my supply).

Kristine
TAH 12/28/01
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2001, 08:37 AM
Blood transfusions????

When I arrived at the hospital the day of my surgery, I was informed that my blood count was extremely low and to expect a transfusion before it was all said and done. I wished at that point that I have prepared ahead of time.

In the end, I did not need one. Thank the Lord for that one.

You may want to be prepared if it is a concern.
Unread 12-27-2001, 08:45 AM
Blood transfusions????

I have been anemic all of my adult life and have had transfusions several times over the last ten years. I had to have 2 units of blood before the surgery, but was too anemic to give my own, so my kids donated for me. I have had blood in the past which source was unknown so this was a treat to know whose blood I was getting. If I could have I would have donated my own.
Unread 12-27-2001, 09:18 AM
Re: Blood transfusions????

Quote:
Originally posted by Sue M.
My uterus is prolapsed, but I have no tumours, fibroids, or endo. How would one go about doing it?
Dear Sue,

As a prolapse victim, my doc said I was an excellent candidate for vaginal hysterectomy (TVH). You can find out more info about prolapse at this website:
http://pages.prodigy.com/prolapse.html/

He did not require me to store any blood for possible complications, but he did prescribe 3x iron pills for my early post-op days.

I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 12-27-2001, 09:35 AM
Blood transfusions????

Sue
I think because you have a prolapse and havent had the heavy heavy bleeding like many here, you will be ok. Of course it's a concern and good to be prepared.
My blood count was only 88 at my last appt (normal is between 120-160) and my said he would do the surgery even if it's that low, that there is less blood loss with the surgery than with one day of one of my periods and he doesnt foresee me needing a transfusion. I have been getting deep muscle iron injectons every week and hopefully I'm in 3 digits by now!
I know in Ontario that we can bank our own blood, but that is not an option for me but more than likely is for you, so I would get your blood level checked and discuss it with your
Good luck!!
Unread 12-27-2001, 01:47 PM
Blood transfusions????

I had two blood transfusions three days after surgery because my hemoglobin count was low. I was not able to put my own blood aside beforehand because I had so little time before the hysterectomy.

It bothers me somewhat that I have no idea whose blood I got, but I gave blood for years before this surgery so hopefully it's as safe as mine was.

If you have the opportunity to put a unit of blood aside, it can't hurt. But I wouldn't worry about it, either.
Unread 12-27-2001, 03:33 PM
just had this discussion

i just had this same discussion with my doc last week. i was offered the option of donating my own blood preop "just in case". at first, it sounded like a really good idea. well, i decided against it for a couple reasons. first, donating blood a few weeks before surgery can decrease your hg count and possibly the electrolytes; a small decrease, i'm sure- but i wanted my system as strong as possible before surgery. second was the cost; here near columbus, it was $175 per unit to save blood. and finally, like many of you have said, a typical hysterectomy doesn't cause a humoungous amount of blood loss. so, as usual, it's up to everyone to make their own decisions. hoped this helped a little. eva
Unread 12-27-2001, 04:04 PM
Blood transfusions????

It was never suggested to me, but I thought about it--two days before surgery. Fortunately, I didn't need it.

I think blood is very safe now and wouldn't worry about that end of it. Go with what your doctor says.

My dh had a blood transfusion in 1980 in Los Angeles, in a ratty part of town when he had an appendectomy (with complications). His ex-wife had one in 1978, same ratty place. BOTH could have had major problems since no one knew about AIDS or thought about hepatitis. Both had NO problems at all.

I gave blood once, 25 years ago, for a friend and almost passed out. I cannot STAND giving blood, so when the doctor didn't suggest it, I didn't think about it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register