Please, describe your headache! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Please, describe your headache! Please, describe your headache!

Unread 12-16-2011, 05:06 PM
Please, describe your headache!

Hi,
I'm about 11 weeks post-op and starting to notice more headaches.

I'm not really sure if they are considered migraines, but they are bothersome.

Mine seem to build in intensity and sort of resemble a sinus headache. The front of my face hurts and at the same time the lower back of my head also aches.

I'm trying to figure out if this is the migraines I keep hearing about or could it really be sinus headaches.

I read somewhere about sinus headaches and inflammation. Could they be caused by the overall inflammation issue that seems to be hanging around after surgery?

Please describe your headache experiences.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlife View Post
Hi,

Mine seem to build in intensity and sort of resemble a sinus headache. The front of my face hurts and at the same time the lower back of my head also aches.

I'm trying to figure out if this is the migraines I keep hearing about or could it really be sinus headaches.

I read somewhere about sinus headaches and inflammation. Could they be caused by the overall inflammation issue that seems to be hanging around after surgery?

Thanks
Usually "the front of the face" headache is either sinus or tension headache.whereas "the lower back of the head" could be high blood pressure. Either way, any persistent should be evaluated by your Dr. Please have it checked and let us know the outcome. Could it be hormonal in nature??
Unread 12-16-2011, 10:23 PM
Re: Please, describe your headache!

I had my first post op migraine today. It felt exactly like the ones I got during PMS. I was hoping these would go away with my ovaries but maybe I am adjusting to the HRT. The present on one side of my head , cause nausea and cotton head feeling like I am dehydrated even though I am well hydrated.

Hope you feel better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2011, 10:49 PM

I have suffered from chronic migraines (more than 4 a week) since my early twenties. Mine start always behind the right eye with a continual throbbing. Depending upon the stress of the day and time they can proceed to full on nausea inducing, aura seeing events which I control unfortunately with Topamax which has brought the frequency down from almost daily and Stadol. I had a migraine going into the operating room 12/9 for my hysterctomy knowing that I couldn't take anything for it and was fine as long I was on the high dose meds. When I woke up 12/10 from my overnight in the hospital I had a migraine to end all migraines and they couldn't do anything for it. I was already on narcotic pain meds helped with the hyster pain but not the head. I have since had 3 migraines and I don't expect them to disappear from my life. they are one of the reasons I honestly was hoping they would take my ovaries as I have been told for years they were hormone related and would get better with menopause. I kept my ovaries and got to keep the headaches as well.
Unread 12-17-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlife View Post
Hi,

Thanks
I'm a couple of weeks further post-op and have had those same types of headaches. Otherwise I feel great! It is mostly in the front of my face too and I keep blaming my sinuses. I've never felt this pressure around my eyes and nose before surgery. I always thought when you have pain in the lower back of your head that was due to tension. I also notice that before I get a hot flash I get this weird sensation of my sinuses clearing just for a couple of seconds then the flash comes. I've had migraines pre-op and those were much different. More of a nagging intense pain on one side of my head. I'm not sure if it is inflammation like you said or hormonal or what? I did have my ovaries removed and do not take any hrt so I don't know if that matters as well.
Unread 12-17-2011, 08:10 AM

I've suffered from menstrual migraines for years. They are debilitating. My symptoms include stiff neck, intense pain at right temple 'behind the eye' and pain at the base of the skull, light sensitivity and in extreme cases, sensitive to noise, too. Nausea and the need to sleep it off in a dark, quiet room. Migraine meds, takein early enough, make a huge difference.

Visit: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mig...CTION=symptoms
Unread 12-17-2011, 10:51 AM

I've had a headache every day since beginning the higher dosed HRT patch after my two-week post-op visit.

I've been treating myself for possible sinusitis with saline rinses, but it doesn't make any difference. I also thought it might be due to hypertension, but daily b/p checks show that it's normal.

My best guess is that it's hormonal, as one of the side effects of the patch is headaches. My surgeon said that we would have to adjust the dose periodically. I'll probably have to decide which I can tolerate more: hot flashes, moodiness & night sweats on the lower dose, or headaches on the higher dose. Hmm...

I'd like to see what's behind door #3. Is there a door #3?
Unread 12-17-2011, 01:50 PM

These posts are a liittle depressing for md, but I pray we find someting.
Goldenlife,, what you are experiiencing is a migraine. I am a chroniic miigrainer. Prior to 2008 I had 5 years of 2-5 migraine days a week. Pre- hysterectomy it was down to 2-8 a month. I am so sorry you are going throughh this.

Here are migraine symptoms.
1. Pain over or around the the eyee.
2. Pain in the occipital region. This iis the base of your skull.
3.The pain is typically one sided, but NOT always. It can movee sides or be bi-lat eral over the eyes.

OTHER SYMPTOMS:
1. If you are sensitive to light (photo sensitive) you have a migraine.
2. If you are sensetiive to sound (phono sensitive) you have a migraine.
3. Nausea.
4. Dizzy or light headed ( perceptial disturbances)
5. Fatigue

****you can have a silent migraine, no pain, but some of thhe other symptoms together IS a silent migraine.

If this keeps happeniing you needd tto get in to seeyour doctor.

If you take Excedroine Migraine STOP!!!!
It is very importantt that you stop. This causes rebound migrzines/headaches. It is NOT neurologist recommended.

Foods to avoid:
1. ***anything with MSG!!! Asiian foods, canned foods, frozen food. Read the labels and google other names for MSG. (MSG i i eat anything with MSG i get a migraine with in15-20 minutes).
2. Any nuts ( thiis is hard for me)
3. Citrus

These are my worst enemies. You can go to migraine websites to get the full list. You need to fiind what food triggers you have first, if any. Take away an item one at a time for two weeks and the re- introduce itt to see iif it iis a trigger. Everyone is different.

The first step i say that you needd to take is stop any Excedriine Migraine and as litt,e MSG intake as possible.

I had horrible period migraaines, so we know that bormones are an iissue. I would keep an eye on that as well.

I have auras with miy miigrianes which means i am no llonger allowed to have b controll. I have stacked bc since 2008 so i would not have a period They have foundd that wome who aree on burth control have trippled theiir risk of a stroke. Bbecause i have auras preceeedding my migraines my stroke risk is alreeaddy high. My GY wod no longer perscribe bc for bmean, and that would mean at least a 2 week miigraiine every month. So, i opted ffor a hysteerectomy .

I hope some of my jnfo will help you. My knowledge comes from my Neurologist at Vanderbiilt, a consulting Neuro. @ Johhn Hopkins, lost of reesearch at the Natiional Migraine Foundattion.
Unread 12-17-2011, 01:54 PM

Sorry, i am stil
L getting used to typiing on my Nook. feel free to ask me any questions or message me. My biggest question and searchh righht now is my crying and depreexsiion. Uuuugghh

Niki
Unread 12-17-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne3001 View Post
I have suffered from chronic migraines (more than 4 a week) since my early twenties. Mine start always behind the right eye with a continual throbbing. Depending upon the stress of the day and time they can proceed to full on nausea inducing, aura seeing events which I control unfortunately with Topamax which has brought the frequency down from almost daily and Stadol. I had a migraine going into the operating room 12/9 for my hysterctomy knowing that I couldn't take anything for it and was fine as long I was on the high dose meds. When I woke up 12/10 from my overnight in the hospital I had a migraine to end all migraines and they couldn't do anything for it. I was already on narcotic pain meds helped with the hyster pain but not the head. I have since had 3 migraines and I don't expect them to disappear from my life. they are one of the reasons I honestly was hoping they would take my ovaries as I have been told for years they were hormone related and would get better with menopause. I kept my ovaries and got to keep the headaches as well.

I hope that you have seen a gooc neuro,ogist. I tried the Topamax y& all other anti-sezier meds. I was sick and tired my 5th year into my chronic battle. I went to Dr. Jason Roesnburg at John Hopkins as a consult and 3rd opinion. John Hopkins at thzt time was #2 in thee natiin on migraines and he is ther #1. We tried one more anti- seziure drug when i left Baltimore. He said if it didd not work i needded to do a"medical detox". At that time i was swallowing 19 pills a day. He also suggesteed that i try vitamins as a preventiitive and gzaveme a long liist yof food to try to avoid.

Well, the meds diddnt work. I so,dd myy house, rxesigneedd from teaching, and moved in witth myy pareents. I swa my yDr. At Vandy and i mediicaly deetoxed on my own one migrakne ypreventittivte at a time. This started atthe end of December 2006. Byy June i felt llike a human being agaain bby nott being xo druged. I went back to teachijng in Nov of 2007. I still ahve migraknes( about 2-5)a month. I use a TENS unit on my ocipita,l nerves, maxaltt (abortive), phyysical therapy on my neck and head ( this is hands on not just weiights). I atvtribufe all of thjs to my gettiing better.

Dr. Rosenburg started all of thiis. If wantt anyy of the lists or you have questions let mee know. I have nevermet anyone ywwitth miigraines like mine. Rosenburg said that I was in thee top 10% of worst patieents that he hadd seen. If you are living like i was fiind a ddoctor good for you!

Niki

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register