Scheduled TAH Horizontal cut | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Horizontal cut Horizontal cut

Unread 12-17-2011, 05:25 AM
Horizontal cut

Hi, Im scheduled for TAH on Monday, Dec 19! Ouch! And just found out that it will be a horizontal cut!
Does anyone has the same experience for recovery? I am scared! Tnx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2011, 05:41 AM
Horizontal cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeebeanberry View Post
Hi, Im scheduled for TAH on Monday, Dec 19! Ouch! And just found out that it will be a horizontal cut!
Does anyone has the same experience for recovery? I am scared! Tnx
hi i had the same on halloween hun. Mine healed very quickly. It is a bit sore but id advise to use a pillow for car journeys and for sneezing and coughing hold it against the wound when u do so it wont b as painfull. Try not to b to scared all will b fine x
Unread 12-17-2011, 05:42 AM
Re: Horizontal cut

Im going Monday too. Theoretically mines LAVH, but Ive had two previous surgeries, and if theres alot of scar tissue, Ill have a regular incision as well. I think about women who have cesareans and go home to care for an infant... Im going home to have my babies take care of me <3
Best of luck with your procedure... see you on the post op boards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2011, 06:45 AM

Thank you for the kind words! I feel better already!
Unread 12-17-2011, 07:08 AM

This will be my third horizontal cut - I had one for a myomectomy 15 yrs ago, and one for a c-section 12 yrs ago. The c-section was quite an easy recovery for me. My dr. said this surgery will be more like the c-section recovery. It's not that bad. You'll be sore, but you'll be fine!
Unread 12-17-2011, 07:38 AM

I had my TAH bikini cut on Dec 7th...you will do great...those first few days you are pretty sore...but they give you good pain meds to help...getting up and down is tricky...as is getting in and out of bed...I had staples...they were in for about 5 days...once those got out it was much better.

This was my fourth incision...as I had 3 c-sections...thus why I had to have a TAH...I am now a week half past my surgery and doing pretty good...still sore...especially early mornings and evenings...ibuprofen and Aleve do just fine...still got to make sure the area is nice and dry...but other than that it is all good...I am still wearing pants with stretch waist bands as I don't want anything to rub it.

You will do just fine with having a hysterectomy this way...the surgeon will really be able to see well and get out all that needs to come out...just be prepared for soreness and stay on your meds...I took them every 4 hours whether I felt I needed them or not...it helps to stay on top of the pain...and when I got home, I did sleep in the recliner until I got the staples out...then I was okay in bed with pillows all around. =)

Looking forward to hearing how you did in the post-op area. Take care!!
Unread 12-17-2011, 06:55 PM
Re: Horizontal cut/ changed to vertical

Mr dr just told me, he most probably need to do a vertical cut instead! Ouch!!
Unread 12-17-2011, 07:28 PM

MS COFFEEBEAN SO GOOD TO HEAR FROM U AGAIN-MONDAY WILL BE WEEK 5 OF MY TAH.I HAVE HAD 2 C-SECTIONS IT DOES IN A WAY PUT U IN THE MIND OF C-SECTION BUT ITS A LOT MORE INTENSE.everybody does different and heals differently.1st 2 weeks i thought i was on top of the world i would get up do my own thing like a little vacation some pain but hey i felt good.i had a lot of energy,took vitamins and iron.but dont overdo it,thats what happened to me,i overdid it and now i am suffering for it.i am a high energy person and i am not one to lay around well,you better get you some interesting books or play on your laptop,dont think you're supergirl.this is major surgery and it will kick you in the butt.they didnt use staples on me just glue and steri-strips.i worked (as a waitress)for the 1st time last saturday.i felt real bad afterwork and all day sunday.monday 1/4in of incision had popped open.i put bandaides on it and it resealed itself.i had to go to doc and get antibiotics and they had to give me more pain pills.take your pain pills and the motrin they prescribed when bottle says whether you're in pain or not.dont be supergirl either.just lay around and watch t.v.BE CAREFUL you will need someone with you at least the 1st 48 hours around the clock.i would advise unplugging your phone after you've made all your calls.that phone will get on your nerves.you will be very sore.i dont mean to scare you but i thought i'd give u a heads up.i am in pretty good shape and this has kicked me in the butt.i am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel but this is a long healing tunnel.its a total HURRY UP AND WAIT.MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU.but really you want the doctor to be able to really check you out and make sure he can see everything.thank god he did TAH on me.stage 4 endo,partial omendectomy, and removal of both fallopian tubes and massive scar tissue from 2 c sections
Unread 12-17-2011, 07:46 PM

Hi sisters, my TAH required a horizontal bikini cut. It's about 4.5 inches and is healing well. It was closed on the surface with steri-strips and stitched underneath. It was sensitive for a couple of months and I do have some swelly belly still, but almost always late in the day. I'm still careful about how tight my waistbands are, and where my pants hit my belly since too much pressure can still cause me trouble. Overall I would say I really didn't mind it too much.

Post surgery I would remind you to be careful getting into and out of bed (or rolling over, that can sting!), coughing or sneezing, and no bending or squishing your belly! I did order the binder here from hystersisters and really liked how it felt so I wore it for several weeks, expecially when I was out doing errands. I also didn't drive for several weeks since it hurt the first couple of times I tried. Just take care of yourselves, listen to your bodies, and don't try to rush yourselves at first. You'll all do great!! Good luck everyone, hang in there.
Unread 12-17-2011, 08:02 PM

Pull-sting pj bottoms is a must.i am still wearing them.they are perfect for swelly-belly.a not too tight girdle does good too.i didnt buy the binder but tried a girdle i had but make sure it doesnt put too much pressure on belly.you got to have a heating pad.i would stuff one down my pants especially towards evening time,that's when i would hurt the most and take baby-steps.it seems regular stepping motion would cause belly to hurt.your body will let u know when you've overdid it.benadryl helped me sleep and if you're a side-sleeper its almost impossible the 1st week.but you can do it but just dont overdo!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register