How long from deciding to have hyst until actual surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long from deciding to have hyst until actual surgery? How long from deciding to have hyst until actual surgery?

Unread 12-18-2011, 06:15 AM
How long from deciding to have hyst until actual surgery?

I am seeing a surgeon on January 9th to discuss hysterectomy options. I have a uterine fibroid that was treated in 2007 with UFE but just found out it has grown back to near it's original size and it's starting to cause heavy bleeding, clots, cramps etc again. it's only a matter of time before it gets out of control again.

How long between deciding with your Dr to go ahead with hysterectomy and the actual surgery? What needs to happen (testing, blood work?) before the surgery? I am anxious to get this process moving! I suppose it depends on my Dr's schedule too. I'm impatient and I just want it over with soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2011, 06:46 AM
Re: How long from deciding to have hyst until actual surgery?

With me it was a matter of scheduling ... my doctor only performs surgery on Mondays so I gave her a day that worked for me ... then the hospital would not schedule for that day, gave her 2 alternatives & I chose a week earlier ... it was maybe 3 weeks after I made the decision ... I has to see my primary care physician to get the pre-op testing ... when I called to schedule that appointment they asked my surgery date and saw me the next day for testing ...
Unread 12-18-2011, 07:19 AM

Mine was VERY quick - a week, maybe? It would have been sooner (even next day) than that if the OR could have been scheduled with the correct people (My doc wanted a particular team to work with because of risks involved with anesthetizing me).

With the pain I was in, he could've said "meet me at the hospital in ten minutes" and I've had been there in five.

No blood work for me, but I'm sure it's different for everyone. Peed in a cup to be sure I wasn't pregnant, of course. Admitting did a MRSA swab and the OR did it a second time, because I'd been inpatient just a couple weeks before at the castle and that's protocol now. (it's a q-tip they stick up your nose - painless but weird). That's it.

Oh, and writing of checks to various places to pay for services prior to their provision... something that should be illegal in my opinion...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2011, 07:33 AM

I wouldn't get a HYST if I were you. Go to a holistic doctor first to see what your alternatives are. You should change your diet, alot of causes for the fibroids, no fried or fast foods and you may need more progesterone.
Unread 12-18-2011, 08:08 AM

I found out Dec 1st. that I would need one. And am getting it Jan 11th. Due to the docs, schedule. She only operates on WED.
Unread 12-18-2011, 09:02 AM

I had dvh for uterine fibroid and enlarged uterus - I was like you, anxious to get it over with. Saw my 2nd opinion surgeon on a Monday, and my surgery was scheduled for the Tuesday just a week later - YAY!! He did an endometrial biopsy (which turned out negative) on that Monday I saw him. Had pre-op work - blood tests, EKG, chest xray - done on Friday. Only had uterus removed, kept ovaries. Only missed 8 days of work. The whole process was a breeze for me, with a super-easy recovery. So happy I did it, and I hope whatever you decide to do works out as well for you! Good luck!
Unread 12-18-2011, 09:16 AM

My scheduling was easy. Dr. Basically asked which Wednesday would you like to go. With having 2 young children and having a house full for Christmas, I said how does the 28 th sound to you... I go in this week for my pre-op . Hope all goes well for you. Good luck!!
Unread 12-18-2011, 09:17 AM

I think it is more an issue of scheduling than anything else. Once you decide that you want to have a hyster then it's just a matter of coordinating schedules with the hospital, you and dr.

My preop was done a week in advance but I don't think there was anything in there that couldn't have been ready within 24 hrs. They did some blood tests which I assume checked anemia, probably some random diseases like hepatitis and aids, maybe clotting. I also had an EKG which is instant.

My total preop took about 3 hours which included final questions with dr. tests, interview with preop nurse, and insurance paperwork.

If you are uncertain about a hyst getting a second opinion could help. For me, I found my two choices were live with the bleeding and pain and take iron to help with anemia or have a hyst. I was not a candidate for any other form of trying to remove the fibroids. I have an intolerance to hormones and my fibroids were so deep in the wall of my uterus that they weren't safely removable.
Unread 12-18-2011, 11:54 AM

thanks for all the replies. I guess I'll just have to be patient and see what happens on Jan 9th
Unread 12-18-2011, 11:57 AM

Mine was a few days as was emergency x

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register