29 and wondering if I should stop hrt | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

29 and wondering if I should stop hrt 29 and wondering if I should stop hrt

Unread 12-18-2011, 06:54 AM
29 and wondering if I should stop hrt

I just had my ovaries out dec 9. Waited 3 days later and started the estrodial patch. I have a head cold since and a headache and feel sick to my stomach. I haven't had any menopausal symptoms. So I'm wondering if I should be takeing hrt ? I kinda want to see what my body does with this change but my doctor wants me on them because I'm young. But if I don't have many symptoms do I need to take HRT? Does it do something else besides help hot flashes and vaginal dryness? Because I know there are creams that will help the dryness. I know I'm only a week post op but I just don't feel normal. I wake up with a headache and I do have a head cold can hormones mess with your sinuses? Thanks jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2011, 09:12 AM
Re: 29 and wondering if I should stop hrt

Jen,
Hormone imbalance can cause many symptoms. Could also be that immune system is a bit weak from the recent surgery. It can also take awhile for things to balance out after surgery. If you're not having symptoms could be that the ERT is doing its job.

You can read more about hormones and the symptoms of menopause at www.hormonejungle.com

Unread 12-18-2011, 09:40 PM

Hi Jen,

IMHO, it is too early to tell what is going on with your body yet. You may still be using up the estrogen in your body and are also on pain killers. The surgery itself is traumatic to the body-anesthesia, the drugs, etc. It took weeks for my hair and nails to recover, not to mention my brain. I was young too (44) when it happened but not as young as you so I would wait a bit and see before making any drastic changes. Achieving "balance" takes some time.

Best of luck to you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2011, 06:13 AM

Thank you I think I'm going to see what he says about putting me on a lower dose for right now I could always go back to what I'm takeing. I'm on .1 vivelle patch. And the headaches and nausea. Are getting to me. Thank you.
Unread 12-19-2011, 06:22 AM

I was 26 when I had my surgery, and I did not get menopause symptoms until about 2 months post-op. Then, I crashed and it took until about 8 months post-op to get my levels back up again. You are very early. I agreed that going down to the .075 might be a good option, but you may need to go back up in a few months. I also had headaches and nausea with .1, but .075 was not enough for me, so I am now cutting the patch and using a dosage in between the two.
Unread 12-19-2011, 06:53 AM

If you don't mind how long have you been on hormones? Did your sex drive change or did the hormones help? And do you still get hot flashe while your on hormones? I know everyone is different but I'm curious since you were younger than me. Haven't had anyone to really talk to my age. Did you gain alot of weight? Do you see any difference in appearance aging wise? Sorry to ask so many questions just really don't know what to expect. How are you doing with it now?
Unread 12-19-2011, 07:26 AM

No worries. I have been on hormones for 11 months. I will be 1 year post op in January. My sex drive changed some. I had some major issues with vaginal atrophy at 3 months post op until 9 months post op. I highly recommend adding Estring to your ERT to prevent that issue. It has really helped me sexually and makes me still feel normal down there. I have hot flashes very seldom now - only when I've been really stressed or something that uses up more hormones. I had some weight issues, but I changed my diet a lot. I do bloat a lot easier than I did before surgery. I haven't noticed a lot of premature aging (face wrinkle wise, etc.). I do invest in better quality skin and hair products now, so that helps. At 11 months post-op, I am feeling pretty good. I have a few resources that I will private message you.
Unread 12-19-2011, 07:47 AM

Thanks so much. I'm glad to hear your doing well. I will ask about the Estring.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register