tea for constipation? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

tea for constipation? tea for constipation?

Unread 12-18-2011, 06:49 PM
tea for constipation?

What is the tea I should get to help prevent constipation, and where can I get it? That is one of my biggest worries......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Re: tea for constipation?

i just saw name of the tea on one of the other threads but its been a couple of hours.i cant remember name of it though.i have been drinking loads of liquids since i got home from hospital.i'm 5 weeks post-op but i was so thirsty.i would say you can get it at any health food store.why dont you start taking a stool softner?i didnt know i was supposed to take and i didnt start taking until 2 days out of hospital.i had my hubby pick me up a bottle of phillips stool softner and they worked great.its just different and be honest painful BMs especially 1st 2 weeks after.but if i had it to do over again i would have started stool softners a good week before surgery
Unread 12-18-2011, 08:37 PM

I do not know what tea helps with constipation. But, please don't take anything pre-op without your docs instructions.

When I was home 3 days after surgery, they recommended stool softeners but only if I took narcotics. I was able to avoid them. I would wait and see what happens after your surgery.

Good luck with your surgery. We will be waiting for you on the other side.

(((Hugs)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2011, 08:55 PM

My MIL mentioned a tea called Smooth Move and I think I saw it in another thread as well.
Unread 12-18-2011, 09:34 PM

Hi,
I use an herbal tea called Cascara Sagrada. I have also been able to get this herbal laxative in tablet form.

As with any laxative, it is not for long term use and the stronger the tea is the stronger the contractions. I only used a mild tea for 3 days. I had used it in the past and knew it was effective for me. I bought the dried herb and steeped my own tea to control the strength of the tea.

You also need to be careful mixing herbs with medications.

It took my bowels 3 days to "wake-up" and it was very painful. I had to use stool softeners, warm water enemas, herbal laxative tea, prunes, magnesium drink, fiber tablets and lots of water.

I am a person that struggles with constipation very easily, so I knew I would need to use all my options.

Best of luck to you!
Unread 12-18-2011, 09:44 PM

I believe you're thinking about Senna. It's a very inexpensive herbal tea and it's very laxative. Can't say I care for the taste, and it can be a bit... um... aggressive in causing movement, both in pain and power.
Unread 12-18-2011, 09:45 PM

Another thing you might want to consider is black licorice (the candy.) It is a a natural laxative. It works well for me. The more you eat the better things "move".
Unread 12-18-2011, 10:57 PM

My doctor recommended (and I took) two Colace per day. Now that things are moving I've bumped it down to one a day because it was working a little too much. I would definitely recommend taking something though!
Unread 12-19-2011, 02:52 AM

I like to make a tea called Throat Coat (Traditional Medicinals brand). It works by making it easier to go, not a laxative, strictly speaking. The main ingredients are licorice and marshmallow root.
Stool softeners give me the runs, so I hope this tea works for me after surgery.
Good luck, hope all goes well.
Unread 12-19-2011, 11:19 AM

Just because something is herbal/natural does not mean it is safe for you to use. Please consult with your physician before using any laxatives, teas or herbs post-op because most DRs do not want us to use anything considered a stimulant, whether it be Rx, OTC or even foods (licorice).

s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register