how much activity is too much? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how much activity is too much? how much activity is too much?

Unread 12-18-2011, 06:21 PM
how much activity is too much?

I am 18 days pop from TAH. I struggle every time I try to be active beyond just around the house. I have intense pain and aching with any walking, going out, etc. Am I expecting too much? I know I cannot run marathons but some are at the gym and shopping 8 hours now. Am I not doing enough? Do I work through the pain? I went out for two hours to a party at hubby's business and just sat while my husband did everything. I am in agony and had to come home and now in tears. Will it get better? When? I cannot imagine working any time soon either as I am a teacher. Really upset...advice welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2011, 06:37 PM
Re: how much activity is too much?

I found my first 2 weeks were filled with pain-leg pain-stomach pain- groin pain. Fatigue and achiness if I were up for too long. Week 3 I hit a milestone- no pain pills- very minimal pain and more energy. I feel pretty good! I hope you do the same at week 3
Unread 12-18-2011, 06:41 PM

Hi... I had a DaVinci on 12/8, so I am 12 days post op.

1) I think that recovery speed depends in part on your abdominal strength and stamina BEFORE surgery.

2) I am 12 days and if I do any activity for 2 hours straight, I am exhausted and either I make it through the day and the next is almost exclusively on the couch napping or I have to have a nap that day.

3) I can't speak to your pain. What number is it on the 1-10 scale? How does it compare to your menstrual pain or other pain?

4) I get these horrible short bursts of stabbing pains right now. They aren't even near the incisions. I am assuming it is my healing process. Sometimes pain is healing and not hurt. Does that make sense? If you are concerned, you should call your doctor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2011, 07:29 PM

18 days post-op. is truly early days!

I think the way you feel is totally normal. Some may heal faster than others, but many of us, including me, felt pretty awful for the first 2-3 weeks, and then improved slowly.

I don't think we are given a clear idea of how long it can take to feel better.
I WAS very fit before surgery, not at all overweight, and the surgery was straightforward (but fairly invasive). I still felt like I had been run over by a bus.

The random, sharp pains are worrying, but in most cases they are just nerves spasming, and it IS all part of the healing. Not that we shouldn't go to the doc. if really worried.

i have no pains now at nearly 4 months, but they did last a longish time.
Unread 12-18-2011, 07:39 PM

*hugs to you Tennessee*
I'm like Acey, I was very fit before surgery. I worked out over an hour a day at the gym and had very very strong pelvic floor and ab muscles and am at 5 weeks *just* starting to feel a little more like myself.
I have had lots of people say things like, "Oh, you are recovering really slow!" The bottom line is, everyone is different and everyone heals differently. I know for me waiting to feel better and not ache or spot whenever I did more than walk around the house was agonizing!! I do have to say that I am glad I didn't push it too much, I *am* healing and am starting to feel better each day and I'm sure you will too!!
Unread 12-18-2011, 07:49 PM

I kerp hearing week 3 is a milestone, so I am hoping that will be the case for me, too. I only take pain meds when I am active, but that still only gets me a couple of hours. I just feel like more activity helps healing but I struggle. I was not terribly fit before, but I am just looking to be able to walk through a store or sit at dinner in a restaurant or go to a movie. I know my lack of fitness is causing some issues. I am frustrated. Thank you for advice. I do have dr appt tomorrow and will speak to him.
Unread 12-18-2011, 07:53 PM
how much activity is too much?

Pain at home wo much activity is about 3. If I do much at all or go out, it is a 6 with pain meds. My highest pain was 8-9 right after surgery.
  Quote:
Originally Posted by cybele View Post
Hi... I had a DaVinci on 12/8, so I am 12 days post op.

1) I think that recovery speed depends in part on your abdominal strength and stamina BEFORE surgery.

2) I am 12 days and if I do any activity for 2 hours straight, I am exhausted and either I make it through the day and the next is almost exclusively on the couch napping or I have to have a nap that day.

3) I can't speak to your pain. What number is it on the 1-10 scale? How does it compare to your menstrual pain or other pain?

4) I get these horrible short bursts of stabbing pains right now. They aren't even near the incisions. I am assuming it is my healing process. Sometimes pain is healing and not hurt. Does that make sense? If you are concerned, you should call your doctor.
Unread 12-18-2011, 08:00 PM

I feel like I should add....I feel pretty good at home and emotionally I feel like my hormones have stabalized. I know this surgery was the right thing to do. I just want to do more and I struggle with do it and be in pain or sit at home. I feel like I should be able to do more...it has been 2 3/4 weeks. I know we are all different, but I just wonder if I'm being too sensitive. I will update tomorrow.
Unread 12-18-2011, 08:06 PM

My pain bursts are a 10, but they last 30-60 seconds once or twice a day. I think it is the nerves regenerating/waking up etc.

We each heal so differently. Call your doc in 2 or 3 more days if it isn't any better and you are scared. Better to be reassured than to be scared. Being scared can slow the process....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register