Concerned with recovery time | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Concerned with recovery time Concerned with recovery time

Unread 12-18-2011, 04:01 PM
Concerned with recovery time

I am concerned with the recovery time of a complete abdominal hysterectomy because of complex hyperplasia with atypia. I also have fibromyalgia- will this make my recovery longer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2011, 02:46 AM
Re: Concerned with recovery time

Hi Fashionteacher,

It may take longer, but it's hard to tell as everyone is different. Your doc would probably be the best person to ask. Please don't rush back to work. Give your body the time it needs. 6-8 weeks off is usually the amount of time needed before going back to work, but may be even longer. You are in my prayers.

Hugs,
Suzy
Unread 12-31-2011, 05:44 PM

Recovery time is different for everyone, and your fibermyalgia could make it longer. I would definitely get input from you doctor on that. In addition, the type of job you have also plays a role, whether you are on your feet a lot, whether you have to lift anything, etc. (You will have lifting and activity restrictions for six to eight weeks after).

I had a TAH BSO for ovarian cyst and fibroids. I took three weeks off work. I did go back to my desk job after that, but could only do part time work and it was TOUGH, TOUGH, TOUGH!! I also only live 10 miles from work so that helped. I worked part time for four weeks before I could go back full time. Some days I barely made it for those 4 hours.

The main thing you have to do is follow all of your doctors instructions (pre as well as post-op) and listen to your body post-op. The extreme fatigue that comes with this surgery surprised me the most. It may be worse for you. Your body will let you know if you are doing too much, and err on the side of caution. You do not want a relapse. Resting will be your primary goal, and the more family in your household can help out the better.

Good luck to you.

(((Hugs)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2011, 11:18 PM

I had TAH 4 1/2 weeks ago. I am a teacher and hoping to go back mid January. I had thought sooner, but there is no way and doc won't clear me anyway. Exhaustion is still daily and walking causes belly pain. Plan for at least 6 weeks unless you can work from home.
Unread 12-31-2011, 11:24 PM

I also have an autoimmune disease and it has made my recovery more difficult. I discussed the surgery with my rheumatologist first but she said she had no concerns. I'm very disappointed with her as I'm having a lot of ongoing pain and swelling. I was off work for 8 weeks after my TVH. My first week back I worked only Mon, Wed & Friday. It was very very difficult. I am 5+ months post op and still take anti inflammatories and Percocet :-( Still too swollen to wear normal pants. I really hope things go smoothly for you and you have no complications.
Unread 12-31-2011, 11:27 PM

Fashion Teacher....
please give yourself all the time you need to heal. I had a DaVinci robotic hysterectomy and tried to go back as quickly as possible and ended up with more vaginal bleeding and bedrest. It is most important to heal well.
I too have fibromyalgia and found that it did cause my pain to be a bit more "nagging" and long lasting than I anticipated. As you well know, the pain is amplified for those with fibro and it just becomes a bit longer in healing.
Of course, everyone is different and I pray that you will have a seamless recovery--just don't push yourself and compromise your recovery. Best of luck healing!

Jen
Unread 01-01-2012, 10:33 AM

I would take the maximum and come back early if you feel good. I had an SAH . I got 8 weeks, but came back PT at 5 weeks because the teaching term started. I wasn't ready for FT until around 12 weeks because I had ongoing pain. I could do 80% of my job from home, so I was able to work lying down. My biggest problem has been pain from sitting.
Unread 01-01-2012, 02:56 PM

I'm coming up on 7 weeks post-op - TAH. I had a flawless surgery and textbook recovery and I still get tired if I do to much. I was cleared for all normal activity, including intercourse at my 6 week post-op visit.

I followed all my post-surgery instructions to the letter, but others have not and have delayed their recovery. Take the time you need. Like Danni3ll3 says, "You only have one chance to heal right!"

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register