Scheduled dVH/RALH tips for anxiety | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

tips for anxiety tips for anxiety

Unread 12-19-2011, 11:18 AM
tips for anxiety

my surgery is in 8 days....YIKES!!! i am having huge anxiety, to the extent of my chest even hurting. My Dr told me to have the anastegoligist give me ativan before my IV, but that is 8 days away. Do you ladies have any tips for me, to help relax me. My heart feels like it is going to bust out of my chest....ugh...I can not wait till this is over with
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2011, 11:37 AM
Re: tips for anxiety

I am so sorry that you are having so much anxiety Try to look at it as many women have had this done. I kept myself busy preparing for the surgery - extra cleaning and cooking, etc. That helped a bunch and wore me out so I was not thinking about it too much.
You might be able to have your doc prescribe you something to help get you thru the next few days, if you want it. Otherwise, try to stay busy and keep your focus off the surgery. (I know, easier said then done sometimes).
Unread 12-19-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens1873 View Post
my surgery is in 8 days....YIKES!!! i am having huge anxiety, to the extent of my chest even hurting. My Dr told me to have the anastegoligist give me ativan before my IV, but that is 8 days away. Do you ladies have any tips for me, to help relax me. My heart feels like it is going to bust out of my chest....ugh...I can not wait till this is over with
Sorry to hear that you are so anxious about it, that is natural but my best tip would be to focus on the outcome. I can only tell you that I am 2 weeks out the other side and feel fantastic. I have had a total hsysterectomy via keyhole on the 1st of December and apart from getting tired pretty quickly I have no pain at all. I have a small amount of discharge that I keep an eye on for blood so I don't tear something but other than that I am soooooo happy. When you go into surgery they are so lovely to you and put you at ease. This is a unique operation to you but the medical people have done this a million times so don't worry, you will be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2011, 01:41 PM

I am right there with you! My surgery is Jan 4 and I am trying to get everything done that I won't be able to do post op. Clean the house, cut your toenails, do some holiday shopping, enjoy your family, or whatever else you physically feel up to doing. Good luck!
Unread 12-19-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzit View Post
I am right there with you! My surgery is Jan 4 and I am trying to get everything done that I won't be able to do post op. Clean the house, cut your toenails, do some holiday shopping, enjoy your family, or whatever else you physically feel up to doing. Good luck!
Absolutely do everything you can before hand. I made a huge Lasagne, Potato Bake and Fried rice before hand and divided them up in plastic disposable containers and stacked them up in the fridge, this was fantastic and lasted for days and days. I cut my toe nails and bought and wrapped all my Christmas presents. When my surgery came around there was nothing left to do. Now 2 weeks on the dust bunnies are mounting but too bad. Good luck to you
Unread 12-19-2011, 03:32 PM

Keeping busy definitely helped me and in the end I spoke to people about my fears. I found that once I verbalized it my mind was put at ease, especially from women that have been through it. It is amazing what we rationalize in our minds but generally it does not become a reality.

To a certain extent I think we just have to accept we will be anxious and not get too anxious that we are anxious (if that makes sense).

I am 5 days post op and feel fantastic. Any pain I do have is a lot less than I had before op. I had a BM the day after surgery. Showered and washed my hair day after surgery. Really, I was quite relieved once it was all done.

You can get through this and you will be fine.

Oh, one last tip, I meditate and find that helps to centre me. Might be worth a go

Take care. We will be here for you when you get home

Unread 12-19-2011, 06:06 PM

I am a few days post Op and trust me, keeping yourself *busy* is one very good option - you won't have time to focus on the surgery (that is what I did - so much so I think I wasn't prepared enough!) You will be nervous up until the point they take you in, but just have faith and know that there are so many fellow sisters praying for you. You just have to keep focusing on how much better you will feel after. Good luck sister!
Just think of the *after* more than the *before*.
Unread 12-19-2011, 06:18 PM

Thank u ladies....i dont know where I would be without you.this is a great group! I have my first pre op appt tomorrow with dr then friday with hospital. Hppefully this week will go fast and I can talk to you all from the other side
Unread 12-19-2011, 07:02 PM

I've been prescribed Xanax and the pain the last 2 weeks has been unbearable so I have been on hydrochodone as well -tell your doctor how you are feeling - there's is no reason to suffer through when their are meds that can help - I go Wednesday for my LAVH and bladder sling and am terrified - don't know how I would have made it through without my happy pills ��
Unread 12-19-2011, 07:20 PM

I did tell him..he really didnt seem to understand/care he told me to talk to anasteseologist (med dr) when I arrive at hospital....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register