Making the right decision about ovaries? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Making the right decision about ovaries? Making the right decision about ovaries?

Unread 12-20-2011, 02:11 PM
Re: Making the right decision about ovaries?

I had mine out even though I'm only 29. It was partly because of endo and partly because I have so many risk factors for ovarian cancer: few periods, fertility drugs (clomid), family history, overweight, elevated BRCA 1 levels, no children, etc. To me dealing with any menopause symptoms and side effects was worth not having to deal with the fear of cancer IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2011, 05:44 PM

I truly appreciate all of the great advice and kind words, ladies! Thank you! It is a tough decision, but I'm also one to worry myself sick. With the family history, and my risk being high to develop ovarian cancer, I'm thinking it would be best to go ahead and have them out. My grandmother had her cervix and uterus out, and within 10 years she passed aways from ovarian cancer. It's just a very scary reality. Thank you again for the advice and I'll check out the FORCE website, sounds interesting! God Bless all of you! *HUGS*
Unread 12-20-2011, 06:20 PM

Hey, Simplicity, just read of your predicament. I learned of my cerv. cancer also a few weeks ago after the LEEP. Sched for radical hyst Dec. 29th. I'm 34, and my Dr. told me I could keep my ovaries if I wanted to, with a 1% chance of the cancer coming back for them. I do not want to go through menopause now, so I think I will take the chance; however I don't have any history of ovarian cancer on either side of the family. So that is without a doubt a very difficult decision. I wish I had more insight for you on this issue, however I am also new to this situation. But I do believe that knowledge=power and the more info you have the better. I pray and wish for you that you may come to a peaceful decision on this, and all works out fine. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2011, 09:09 PM

Thank you, Spicesea1! I wish you the best next week too! My surgery is on the 29th as well... similiar situation... My LEEP was a few weeks ago, and it came back cervical cancer. At age 37, I'm like you, and not ready to go through menopause. But, ovarian cancer does run in both sides of my family. I figure I'd rather be safe than sorry. The thought of it all is just so scary. Knowledge does = power, this website has been so very informative! Keep me posted on how your surgery goes!
Unread 12-20-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity2011 View Post
Hi ladies, my hysterectomy is scheduled for next Thursday, Dec. 29th. I was diagnosed with cervical cancer after my LEEP a few weeks ago. My Doctor recommends a hysterectomy since the cervical cancer is likely to keep coming back. With that information, I chose to have the hysterectomy. He gave me the option to keep my ovaries, but recommended I have them removed, due to a family history of ovarian cancer. I'm 37 years old, and scared out of my mind. I told him to go ahead and take the ovaries out next week too... but I'm wondering if I've made the right decision? Have any of you been faced with this decision? What if my hormones are never right again and I risk feeling off kilter for the rest of my life? I don't know what to do... Maybe it's all just fear and anxiety. I'd love to hear from some of you though, and get your thoughts. Thank you so much!
I am Braca1 positive, with a family history of ovarian cancer. I just had a hysterectomy, and did lose 1 of my ovaries. I am 42 years old, and made the hard decision with my Dr. to keep my right ovary for now. He has so many young patients that have trouble getting their hormones correct, that he suggested keeping my ovary for a few more years and then removing it.

It was the right decision for me. I plan to have my right ovary removed when I'm closer to 50 if all keeps working. My Dr. told me that the ovary removal by its self is easier than a tubal ligation. It is an out-patient surgery with easy recovery.

Good luck with your decision. I know it is a tough one! I will be thinking of you as you go through surgery.

Susan
Unread 12-20-2011, 10:32 PM

I had a TAH/BSO three weeks ago. It took a lot of thought, but my dad's mother died of 'female cancer' when he was only 8. After a lot of my own problems, it felt the safest option. I am on HRT. My only issue was being a bit emotional and night sweats. I started hormones about 10 days ago, and sweats are better. Emotions still shaky, but I did just have major surgery, so giving it time. It isn't the nightmare some people have for sure. I am almost 42, so HRT can be taken for 6-7 years.
Unread 12-21-2011, 02:54 AM

I had mine removed a month ago at age 40. It was not really an option to keep them, but I did have to make another tough decision about how radical of a hysterectomy to have. Something that helped me with that decision was realizing that I never wanted to regret that I hadn't been as aggressive as possible in treating the cancer. Going straight into menopause at this age is no fun, but if you've managed to face a cancer diagnosis, I bet you can handle menopause.
Good luck with your decision.
Unread 12-21-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity2011 View Post
Thank you, Spicesea1! I wish you the best next week too! My surgery is on the 29th as well... similiar situation... My LEEP was a few weeks ago, and it came back cervical cancer. At age 37, I'm like you, and not ready to go through menopause. But, ovarian cancer does run in both sides of my family. I figure I'd rather be safe than sorry. The thought of it all is just so scary. Knowledge does = power, this website has been so very informative! Keep me posted on how your surgery goes!
Back at you, wishing you all the best. You are definitely making the right decision. It is very scary but helps to know there are others who have been through and are going through the same thing. You'll be in my thoughts, best of luck for a successful surgery and quick recovery!
Unread 12-21-2011, 06:28 PM

Thank you for all of the support, ladies! How long can one stay on HRT? Reading one post, it seems only up to 7 years? I may have misunderstood... It does worry me that my hormones will never be the same with the HRT, as they are now... I could be wrong though, I feel like either way, I'm taking a chance. Either risk ovarian cancer or risk having wacky hormones. boooo
Unread 12-21-2011, 06:51 PM

I'm praying for you too, Spicesea!! We're going to get through this! Wishing you all the best hun!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register