Scheduled LSH Nervous & New here | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nervous & New here Nervous & New here

Unread 12-19-2011, 09:30 PM
Nervous & New here

Hi! I'm scheduled for a partial hysterectomy on 2/16. I have endometriosis and adenomyosis. I've had two endometrial ablations and have had my tubes tied. The ablations were not successful in eliminating my period and have caused me to spot almost all month. Not to mention the pain....
I am nervous because I have three little girls; 8,6,3 that I need to take care of...I
also don't want to be cut but my doctor can't guarantee that it won't happen. I'm afraid of what kind of post op sex will be like, scared of weight gain and crazy emotions!
Help! I've already "chickened out" once.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2011, 09:49 PM
Re: Nervous & New here

to HysterSisters.

I am not an endo patient, but had a hysterectomy due to a large ovarian cyst. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy (TAH) and both ovaries removed. There are other women on this site who are endo patients and hopefully some of them will chime in.

I will not lie to you - this is MAJOR SURGERY. You may want to get a second opinion (if you have not had one already). You need to make the right decision for you and your health.

Recovery wise, you will need to get help for few weeks (maybe more) dealing with your children, household chores (you won't be house cleaning for some time), dishes, shopping, driving, etc. Regarding post-op sex, everyone is different. For some it is better, for some the same, and for some it is worse. For me, it is not better or worse but it is different - and I do need lubricant.

Weight gain wise - I have not gained weight at all. The emotional roller coaster post surgery is quite normal - eventually it settles down.

Hope this helps.

(((Hugs))) to you.
Unread 12-19-2011, 10:01 PM

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2011, 09:56 AM

I just had LSH Monday. Today I feel normal and did some light dusting and sweeping. I think that you will definitly need help the 1st week, then you just have to just make sure you don't over do it. I think if you end up having an abdominal incision you would need help for more like 2 weeks. I definitly think that as everyone on this site will tell you, the waiting and wondering is the worst part. Just make sure you have plenty of help to do nothing but rest for at least a week.
Unread 12-23-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitt70 View Post
I just had LSH Monday. Today I feel normal and did some light dusting and sweeping. I think that you will definitly need help the 1st week, then you just have to just make sure you don't over do it. I think if you end up having an abdominal incision you would need help for more like 2 weeks. I definitly think that as everyone on this site will tell you, the waiting and wondering is the worst part. Just make sure you have plenty of help to do nothing but rest for at least a week.
This was my experience with LSH 5 weeks ago. I was up and doing normal activities within a week. I do not have small children at home - and you cannot do any lifting over ten pounds so your three year old will need to understand that if he/she is able. My two year old grandson seemed to understand when I showed him my incisions and "broken tummy" when he wanted me to lift him. No heavy duty housework, but I could make a meal, carry very light loads of laundry. You will need lots o breaks in between activities. At 5 weeks I am doing everything I was before, including my eliptical. I do have a swelly belly at the end of the day - but it is not painful. Make some meals ahead if you can - and accept help if it is offered!

Good luck.
Unread 12-23-2011, 10:18 AM

Oh - but I should add, I did not have endo. I cannot speak to how that might add time or difficulty to your recovery.

Hugs.
Unread 12-23-2011, 12:24 PM

Thank you for the advice. I'm suffering with my period now and hope that I will soon have some relief from the monthly torture that I endure...
Unread 12-23-2011, 12:32 PM

I also have endo, but I had everything taken out and am working my way through surgical menopause. I agree with the second opinion if you haven't had one. My Dr., of course, left everything up to me but recommended that I have everything out. Since estrogen "feeds" endo I decided that even though I'm only 29 having my ovaries out was the best course of action. I wanted to make sure that I did everything possible to keep the endo from coming back. I also chose to have my cervix removed since that was what was part of what was causing painful sex.

As far as the surgery goes, I think the only thing having endo removed adds is a little extra soreness. I know my Dr. told me that he has to take a little extra time with his endo patients and I might have a little bit harder time since he would have to dig around in there more than just a normal hysterectomy. That being said, even with an 8 inch incision, it has been the best choice I could have made. I was scared to death but even 2 weeks out I already feel better that I have felt in almost 15 years. I don't regret it for a moment!
Unread 12-23-2011, 12:48 PM

I am suffering right now. I feel like I'm in labor...
My Doctor suggested only removing the uterus. We haven't really talked about any other issues.
I have very small fibroids, endometriosis and adenomyosis, I've had two ablations but they were not successful. The pain is unreal and even though the flow has been reduced I still feel so exhausted.
It's hard to take care of my girls and have to work tonight...ugh!
Without sounding vain, I'm so terrified of being cut. I worked so hard for the past year to lose 60 lbs, I really don't want to gain any weight back.
I'm also worried about sex post-op. I hope that it doesn't change too much. I can certainly do without the pain & spotting!
Thanks
Unread 12-23-2011, 08:20 PM

I believe with a LSH there is less visible incision than what I had with a TAH.

Sex post-op varies from woman to woman. Some find it better, some the same, some worse, and every combination in between. You probably will not be cleared for intercourse for 6 or 8 weeks.

For me, intercourse has a different feeling. The orgasms are not as intense (lack of muscle contraction), BUT I have them on a more regular basis. So who knows what the body will do.

Being in constant pain is no way to live. I have read posts of women that were in constant pain and were happy they had their hysterectomy. But, make the decision that is right for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register