1 wk post-op-feeling good or too good? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

1 wk post-op-feeling good or too good? 1 wk post-op-feeling good or too good?

Unread 12-27-2001, 05:44 PM
1 wk post-op-feeling good or too good?

hi-i'm new to this web site. i had my surgery on 12-20 along with my bladder sling and the day before surgery i found out that my doc wanted to do rectal surgery too. what fun!!!!!! well i was released on saturday the 22nd. just feeling very tired. otherwise, feel pretty good. i had horrendous constipation on monday the 24th and now i am going pretty good. my doc says metamucil is the trick. any suggestions? my rectum hurts but getting better as long as i don't sit too long. i also had vaginal reconstruction from bad episiotomies-i have three kids and had three different doctors. like i said-i feel pretty good but wondering if i'm feeling too good? i'm trying to take it easy-but have children ages 4,8, and 11. it's very hard. i don't think they realize that mom just had major surgery. my doc keeps telling me not to overdo it- i had 3 hrs of surgery. went to a post-op today the 27th and he says i'm looking good. got to go back next week too then at 4 weeks. just feels good to talk to someone that knows what i'm going though. oh-and as for the bladder- it still doesn't work right. i'm self-catherizing and sore from it. it works when it wants to-usually later in the day. i know it wil get better sooner-or later. thanks for listening!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2001, 05:48 PM
Oh yeah honey, we are twins!

I had mine done on the 17th and took out my Foley yesterday. We tried a day of self cathing last Wednesday ( 3 days post op) and it failed. So tonight I gave in and let my husband self cath me since I was sure I wasn't voiding as well as I did yesterday. Sure enough, 800 ml came out. UGH. Boy do I feel better now.

as far as the rectum goes, metamucil is hit or miss. I think more fiber laxes work differently on most people. Before surgery I did 2 wks of liquid food and fibercon and it was all I needed. but after surgery I have been taking colace and fibercon and it's not working. So the doc prescribed me some Miralax today. It's supposed to be the best for making your stool liquidy.
Unread 12-27-2001, 06:12 PM

Deb - Welcome to Hystersisters.

Sending healing thoughts your way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2001, 06:52 PM

I too am feeling really good.. able to get up and do a few things here and there. But I think I may have overdone it tonight, but not by choice. My 2 1/2 year old son spiked a fever and is prone to going into convulsions. He was scared and getting a lil on the jerky side (typical for right before a seizure) so I had my sis pick him up and let me rock him. Well the tylenol got into him a lil too late and while I was rocking him he started jerking a lil more. So I had my sis rush him to the tub where I gave him a bath. After that he went back into my lap where I ended up rocking him to sleep and now he's sleeping peacefully on the couch. Right now I'm not hurting too bad.. but I got the feeling I'll be paying for "Mommy overload" tomorrow.

welcome to the site It tends to get a lil zany around here every now and then, but hey what is life without a few smiles

s

Jennifer
Unread 12-27-2001, 07:03 PM
12-20 Princess Here

Hi Ladies,
I had my TAH on 12-20 and I feel pretty good. I haven't taken too many of my pain meds. Occasionaly I have a little pain from the coughing I did the first couple of days. I developed a cough from the surgery, but because it was productive they wouldn't give me anything for it. Even with my pillow it hurt like heck. When I got home Hubby bought me some cough syrup. The kind that just loosens the congestion up. It worked wonderful at stopping the cough but my sides still ache a little. Hope to hear from you again soon.
God bless
Sue
Unread 12-27-2001, 09:03 PM

Welcome to Hyster Sisters, Deb.

I had my surgery just over a year ago. I had a TVH with Rectocele repair. I too was amazed at how good I felt. The only pain I had was from the repair. I was amazed.

Unfortunately, I did too much too soon and ended up paying for it. It's a good idea to carry your tummy pillow around and lounge in jammies: serves to remind you and your support system that you had major surgery.

I also dealt with constipation after my surgery and that was a particularly annoying problems, since I was instructed not to strain in order to avoid damage to the repairs. On my doctor's orders, I made sure that my diet was composed of high fiber elements. I would have some warmed prune juice -- warming it makes it even more effective -- some bran cereals and, if needed, a few stewed prunes, also warmed. Make sure to drink plenty of water --- preferably at room temperature. Cold water sure is good to the taste, but warm water is more effective to help your digestive system along.
Unread 12-27-2001, 11:26 PM

I TOO AM NEW TOTHIS BOARD AND I HAVE 4 CHILDREN 3 GIRLS 11 6 AND 4 AND FINALLY GOT MY SON 13 WEEKS TODAY. GIRLS WERE ALL NATURAL MY SON WAS A VERTICAL C SECTION WITH A TUBAL AND I DID WELL AFTER IT THEN 5 WEEKS AFTER THAT HAD TO HAVE THE GALL BLADDER OUT NOW ON 12/18 HAD TO GET IT ALL OUT HAD ENLARGED UTERUS 18 WEEK SIZE AND I DIDNT FEEL TO BAD IN THE HOSPITAL BUT NOW AT HOME I AM MISERALBEL CANT SEEM TO PEE WITHOUT PAIN GAVE ME SOME STUFF TO MAKE ME PEE BLUE IT HELPS A LITTLE BUT STILL HURTS AM REALLY SORE AND CANT DO MUCH STILLG ELLING TIRED. I AHVE TRIED TO DO A LITTLE AND I THINK THAT MAY BE WHY AM SO SORE. THIS INSICION IS ALSO A VERTICAL PUT ME ON PREMARIN AND I JUST KEEP HAVING ANGRY FEELINGS IS THIS NORMAL????MY HUSBAND HAS BEEN WONDERFUL AND HELPFUL BUT I GET SO ANGRY WITH HIM AND THE KIDS LIKE MY PATIENTS IS SHOT. ITCH ALL OVER SORE STOMACH AND HAVE AWFUL GAS BACK IS KILLING ME I HOPE THIS IS ALL NORMAL. I GO TOMORROW TO GET CHECKED AND HOPEFULLY REMOVE STAPLES OR SOME OFF THEM AT LEAST
Unread 12-28-2001, 03:24 AM

Hi Macale,

Just wanted to let you know that premarin mad me a mean wifey and mommy too. I am on estratest (have only been on it for a week) and I am loving everyone for my libido..lol. Anyways, my hyster was in 99 and have taken a lot of hrt's through the years to stimulate my ovaries and now that they are gone, i feel much better and more level. Keep searching if you feel its not working for you but also give it enough time to work, unless your miserable.

Happy Hotflashless New Year,

Connie
Unread 01-04-2002, 08:17 AM
FEELING BETTER

JUST TO LET EVERYONE KNOW THAT I'M FEELING MUCH BETTER THAN EXPECTED!! I'VE POSTED ON A FEW BOARDS AS TO HOW WELL I'M DOING IN CERTAIN AREAS. I'M GOING TO THE BATHROOM REGULARLY(WITHOUT HAVING TO TAKE ANYTHING!YEA!!) MY VAGINAL RECOVERY IS GOING VERY WELL! MY DOC SAYS I'M DOING REMARKABLY WELL!! THE ONLY THING IS MY BLADDER. IT WORKS FINE DURING THE DAY, BUT WHEN IT GETS FULL-IT JUST DOESN'T WORK. STILL HAVING TO SELF-CATHERIZE FOR THOSE TIMES. MY UROLOGIST PUT ME ON FLOMAX. DON'T KNOW IF IT WORKS YET-WILL LET YOU KNOW. MY GYN GAVE ME SONATA TO HELP ME SLEEP. JUST CAN'T SEEM TO GET TO SLEEP-HORRIBLE FEELING!! WITH 3 KIDS, IT'S HARD TO JUST SIT AND DO NOTHING. I'M A PRETTY ACTIVE PERSON-BUT HAVE SLOWED DOWN ALOT. I'M DOING LIGHT HOUSEWORK, STILL NO HEAVY LIFTING( 2 GALLONS AT THE MAX!DR ORDERS!!) I ACTUALLY WENT TO GET MY HAIR DONE. FEEL LIKE A NEW WOMAN-ALL OVER!!I KNOW NOT EVERYONE FEELS GOOD AT 2 WKS-MY ADVICE IS TO JUST LISTEN TO YOUR BODY AND WHAT IT IS TELLING YOU. YOU KNOW WHAT YOU CAN DO AND WHAT YOU CANNOT DO!!!! TAKE LONG, GOOD AND WARM BATHS!!(IT HELPS ME TO RELAX AT NIGHT!!) AND JUST BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU DO START GOING OUT! THANKS FOR LISTENING!!
Unread 01-04-2002, 10:23 AM
Feeling too good?

Hi there Deb

I had my TAH & bladder suspension the day after you did. I hit my 2 weeks post op today. I can understand feeling to good and wanting to do more than i should. BUT!! i have been a good princess for the most part. I've had a few days i did to much. I paid for it to. My good and bad days are randome. I wake up feeling great and by mid day i feel like the nap queen LOL

Take it easy Deb and take care of yourself. I am facing the bordome and my house not being how i want it and it is also making me a bit nuts. I also know i do not want to prolong my recovery. So trying hard to behave

take care and be well

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register